Living close to Disney

yfd326

Original Poster
Here's a question....

Is there the same "magic" when visiting Disney if you live very close?

What I mean is....living far away keeps the visits far and few between. So visiting is special and the trip is looked forward to.

Does it get dull (lack of better word) when Disney is more readily available to visit almost anytime you like?

I ask this question because I always dreamt of hitting the lottery and moving to Golden Oaks on property to own an extravagant home there. Yes it's just a dream.

OliveMcFly

I lived within a mile of Magic Kingdom. At first seeing the fireworks every night was really cool, as time went on it became a clock of sorts. Big booms meant it's 10pm. Then we hardly noticed. I spent 7 years there and it took a while for the magic to come back after moving back to PA. It was fun to stop into the park at anytime though.

Gaybelle

I agree. I enjoy being able to get in my car and be at Magic Kingdom in 45 minutes, but that novelty wore off about 6 months after I moved down. Nowadays, I save my visits for those times when I've had a rough day at school or work etc. Plus there are lots of other things to do in the area that are more fun and enjoyable than a Disney park.
Please tell me more. We are retired and planning to move there in Dec. We do have family in the area, but really don't know where to look for nearby housing. Celebration is out of our price range!

raven

Please tell me more. We are retired and planning to move there in Dec. We do have family in the area, but really don't know where to look for nearby housing. Celebration is out of our price range!
Celebration isn't the only thing near Disney. Look north into the Independence, Winter Garden or Windermere area. All just minutes from Disney and are central to highways, state roads and lots of shopping. These areas have double and even trippled in size over the past 10 years. That tells you it's a great area to live (as I do too)!

Gaybelle

Celebration isn't the only thing near Disney. Look north into the Independence, Winter Garden or Windermere area. All just minutes from Disney and are central to highways, state roads and lots of shopping. These areas have double and even trippled in size over the past 10 years. That tells you it's a great area to live (as I do too)!
Thanks, Raven. My husband would like to live in Walt's apartment on Main Street (a la Disneyland), but I don't mind a little drive. His parents are in Cocoa, and he thought that was too far. His sister is in Chuluota (sp?), and that's too far. We're in Texas, so I think they're pretty close! I'll work on him to widen our search a little.

raven

Thanks, Raven. My husband would like to live in Walt's apartment on Main Street (a la Disneyland), but I don't mind a little drive. His parents are in Cocoa, and he thought that was too far. His sister is in Chuluota (sp?), and that's too far. We're in Texas, so I think they're pretty close! I'll work on him to widen our search a little.
I've overheard Disney CP's while at Disney Springs telling guests that Walt's house was built the island in the middle of Seven Seas lagoon but was torn down before MK opened. Couldn't help but step in and correct them by telling them that not only is that a man-made lake (made by Disney using that dirt to cover the ulitidoors under MK) but also that Walt actually died years before WDW even opened. :rolleyes:

So just be careful who you ask. ;)

Gaybelle

I've overheard Disney CP's while at Disney Springs telling guests that Walt's house was built the island in the middle of Seven Seas lagoon but was torn down before MK opened. Couldn't help but step in and correct them by telling them that not only is that a man-made lake (made by Disney using that dirt to cover the ulitidoors under MK) but also that Walt actually died years before WDW even opened. :rolleyes:

So just be careful who you ask. ;)

Oh, no! Just reading that, my eyes rolled so far I could see the back of my head. No telling how many guests had heard that misinformation before, and are still telling their friends about it. My hubs was at Disneyland many times as a child, and has been visiting WDW since the year it opened.
I'm curious about the other member's comment "there are lots of other things to do in the area that are more fun and enjoyable than a Disney park." Of course, I know about the other theme parks, but what else?

21stamps

Here's my feelings on Florida- Why would anyone choose to live in Central Florida?! ;)
I have friends in Orlando who do enjoy living there, Winter Park and Lake Nona, (none of them are frequent park visitors), but I just don't understand why people choose to live inland lol. Cocoa Beach you would have the ocean AND a short drive to WDW. Having said that, I will be on a beach or in the ocean more than I will ever be in Disney World..so it's all personal preference.

raven

Here's my feelings on Florida- Why would anyone choose to live in Central Florida?! ;)
I have friends in Orlando who do enjoy living there, Winter Park and Lake Nona, (none of them are frequent park visitors), but I just don't understand why people choose to live inland lol. Cocoa Beach you would have the ocean AND a short drive to WDW. Having said that, I will be on a beach or in the ocean more than I will ever be in Disney World..so it's all personal preference.

$$$$

HauntedMansionFLA

I right there with you. I'd be a beach bum first and head over to WDW every once in a while.

disneygeek90

Eh, the beach isn't for everyone. I've lived in Florida over 10 years and I've probably gone to the beach about 10 times. The salt water irritates my skin, and sand is a pain. I lived in Jacksonville Beach for two years and literally never went. Now, I live about 15 mins from the World, 10 from Universal and couldn't be happier. I can now appreciate the parks and not stress about doing as many things as I want. I can sleep in, head to the parks for a few hours, and be back in my bed at night. I think growing up in Ohio makes me appreciate it more and not take it for granted, as it was our "once a year" trip growing up.

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

Eh, the beach isn't for everyone. I've lived in Florida over 10 years and I've probably gone to the beach about 10 times. The salt water irritates my skin, and sand is a pain. I lived in Jacksonville Beach for two years and literally never went. Now, I live about 15 mins from the World, 10 from Universal and couldn't be happier. I can now appreciate the parks and not stress about doing as many things as I want. I can sleep in, head to the parks for a few hours, and be back in my bed at night. I think growing up in Ohio makes me appreciate it more and not take it for granted, as it was our "once a year" trip growing up.
Being able to soak in all of the different Holidays without running around like a crazy person would be a great benefit. You miss a lot of the little details because you have only 4,5 or 6 days there.

disneygeek90

Being able to soak in all of the different Holidays without running around like a crazy person would be a great benefit. You miss a lot of the little details because you have only 4,5 or 6 days there.
Exactly. I try to really slow it down and experience something new every time I'm there. Find some quiet little store or walkway that no one goes to, or take your time looking at something others rush hurriedly by. A couple weeks ago I probably spent 10-15 minutes just watching the Germany train at Epcot and noticed all the unique little details within the town. My favorite is a picnic table being destroyed by two bears while a person watches not knowing what to do.

Last edited:

21stamps

But you can do the same if you live a few hours away. You don't even have to spend the night.

It's all personal preference really.
I had to stay in Tampa for a few months for work once.. only flew home on weekends. I cried. I missed the flowers, trees, iguanas, etc.. and the shopping..and the restaurants..and the lounges..:lol.
I pretty much hated every single thing about being in Tampa for an extended period of time.lol..and that's not even far from the ocean.

I think Jupiter is the farthest north I could ever live in Florida.. and I couldn't go west of 95. I know people who love living in Orlando, and I know people who love living on the West Coast of Fla. some of those West Coast people would never live in SoFla.

Now I'm in Ohio.. so, I've already broken my own rules ;)

disneygeek90

But you can do the same if you live a few hours away. You don't even have to spend the night.

It's all personal preference really.
I had to stay in Tampa for a few months for work once.. only flew home on weekends. I cried. I missed the flowers, trees, iguanas, etc.. and the shopping..and the restaurants..and the lounges..:lol.
I pretty much hated every single thing about being in Tampa for an extended period of time.lol..and that's not even far from the ocean.

I think Jupiter is the farthest north I could ever live in Florida.. and I couldn't go west of 95. I know people who love living in Orlando, and I know people who love living on the West Coast of Fla. some of those West Coast people would never live in SoFla.

Now I'm in Ohio.. so, I've already broken my own rules ;)

There’s nothing better than deciding you want to stop by at Epcot after work for an hour or two and walk around the country with a margarita after a long day. It just doesn’t get any better than that to me. I walk around seeing people on their long awaited vacations, while I quite literally just stepped out of my office. When I lived 2-3 hours away, I could really afford to only get away about once a month (which still isn’t bad, but it’s hard to compare that to my 1-2 times a week pace I’m on currently).

Can’t say I miss Ohio, lol. I grew up in Hilliard.

21stamps

There’s nothing better than deciding you want to stop by at Epcot after work for an hour or two and walk around the country with a margarita after a long day. It just doesn’t get any better than that to me. I walk around seeing people on their long awaited vacations, while I quite literally just stepped out of my office. When I lived 2-3 hours away, I could really afford to only get away about once a month (which still isn’t bad, but it’s hard to compare that to my 1-2 times a week pace I’m on currently).

Can’t say I miss Ohio, lol. I grew up in Hilliard.

I'm just so opposite. I love Florida for the ocean and ocean activities..it doesn't pain me to visit Florida now and not do Disney.. but it does pain me to do Disney and not the ocean.

Funny how we're all so different :)

I miss Florida something fierce, but I actually really like where I live in Ohio...I just need to escape a few times per year ;)

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
I grew up by the ocean so living in central Florida is no bother to me. We are an hour from the beach I can visit anytime. We love Disney we are now close to 10 years being close to the Disney area and we have not lost the "magic" feeling. We love the parks and while yes there's no doubt the Mouse House has let us down some days, there's never been a day that's we said lets skip going to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom