Big changes to magicbands?!

CDavid

I would love to have something to carry rather than to wear...I am not a fan of having a piece of rubber on my wrist in the hot Florida weather. Most of the time my band has ended up in my pocket, at least until it's needed to charge, redeem for food or a fastpass...

Just ask for a Key to the World (KTTW) card. It fits in your pocket so much better and is easier to carry around. I don't use the bands at all.

GlassHalfFull

Seems like the puck would be easy to lose unless it attached in some manner. I think I like the current bands better.

That's my thought as well.. I am never a fan of having a detachable parts that all must be present, especially for kids.. I was hoping if anything magicband 2.0 could work with smart watches that we are already wearing..

I appreciate the flexibility in customization.. but the current system is pretty dang customizable..

WildernessMan83

They need to start working towards linking this to NFC for iPhones, Apple Watches, Android Phones and Watches, etc.

I should be able to tap my phone to enter.

Agree. There's no reason why people shouldn't be able to use an iPhone or Appe Watch rather than a band. The only operational issue I can see with people using phones instead of a band on their wrist is if they hold up lines due to fumbling through their pocket for their phone and trying to open an app. However, they could limit it to smart watches if that were an issue.

Now, they probably have resisted this because it may result in a loss of revenue.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The only other issue I could see with phones/watches is battery life.. Still, you could have a RFID card in your wallet as a backup, maybe.

Would the phone option still work with the longer range technology that Disney has been utilizing like automatically attaching your on ride photos to your Memory Maker and the personalized My Magic+ things they have added to several queues and rides recently?

The puck option could give the ability to have the Magic Band used as other wearable options like a necklace/lanyard or able to snap into a carabiner that you could clip to your belt which may be better options for those who don;t like to have things on their wrist.

Brad Bishop

Would the phone option still work with the longer range technology that Disney has been utilizing like automatically attaching your on ride photos to your Memory Maker and the personalized My Magic+ things they have added to several queues and rides recently?

The puck option could give the ability to have the Magic Band used as other wearable options like a necklace/lanyard or able to snap into a carabiner that you could clip to your belt which may be better options for those who don;t like to have things on their wrist.

The only way I'd see it work is if they started mapping MAC addresses with WiFi access points and used that to tell proximity.

Still, I'd be happy to not have my name on some TV screen in some attraction in exchange for not having to wear a MagicBand on my wrist.

PaisleyMF

Agree. There's no reason why people shouldn't be able to use an iPhone or Appe Watch rather than a band. The only operational issue I can see with people using phones instead of a band on their wrist is if they hold up lines due to fumbling through their pocket for their phone and trying to open an app. However, they could limit it to smart watches if that were an issue.

Now, they probably have resisted this because it may result in a loss of revenue.

How about a bit of a Hybrid, a Smart Watch Band that has the MagicBand+ RF and be just as customized as... But then the puck could fit on a watch band...

GlassHalfFull

I'm not clear on what problem the puck would solve. MagicBands are already reusable. If the problem is that Disney is shipping too many bands, the solution would be for them to just stop shipping so many bands.

Plus are the majority of people who stay at resorts, returning guests? I haven't stayed at a resort, besides Shades of Green, in years.. and I have more than a couple Magic Bands.. have to think it's still the majority of people staying on property that are first time attendees who will still need magic bands shipped out..

Herah

Plus are the majority of people who stay at resorts, returning guests? I haven't stayed at a resort, besides Shades of Green, in years.. and I have more than a couple Magic Bands.. have to think it's still the majority of people staying on property that are first time attendees who will still need magic bands shipped out..
Seems like they could at least get rid of the extra set for split stays.

lazyboy97o

Apple does not currently allow developer access to the NFC chip in their devices.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm not clear on what problem the puck would solve. MagicBands are already reusable. If the problem is that Disney is shipping too many bands, the solution would be for them to just stop shipping so many bands.

They are re-usable, but the battery has a limited lifespan.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

You also have the issue of making sure it always works with different phone models, and dealing with the tech support issues when it doesn't work from someone. Also, if people's phone battery dies, or they turn it off, you loose trackability. I think they would much rather have control of both ends, both the reader and the device being read.

Herah

They are re-usable, but the battery has a limited lifespan.
Does the puck solve that? It doesn't appear to have a replaceable battery either

I mean, it could be solving a completely different problem, like freeing up attachment options (pendant or clip instead of just wristband). But many people are assuming it will solve the proliferation problem, and I don't see a change in shape doing that.

WildernessMan83

Apple does not currently allow developer access to the NFC chip in their devices.

I know, seems to be an issue with Apple Pay and security surrounding it because of the single NFC chip. I guess I should have said, once the ability is there, there's no reason why people shouldn't be able to use their Apple Watch. :)

WildernessMan83

You also have the issue of making sure it always works with different phone models, and dealing with the tech support issues when it doesn't work from someone. Also, if people's phone battery dies, or they turn it off, you loose trackability. I think they would much rather have control of both ends, both the reader and the device being read.

That's why I said just iOS and probably just watchOS. It doesn't have to be forced on Disneygoers but assuming Apple can make it available, having the option would be cool.

But who knows, could be a total disaster. I could be over estimating the intelligence of many people. I think Disney already did that to a certain extent with MM+ and the bands. :facepalm: Not so much now but more so at the beginning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom