New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

RMichael21

Original Poster
Hey everyone! So, I couldn't find a thread specifically about the new garage being built, so I figured that I'd start one! @OCDisney just posted this on Twitter:
Cpiy5G7UIAADnK2.jpg

I definitely thought it was interesting how they could definitely use that area currently used for the "Transportation Facility" for DCA expansion.

jbradway

Lots to digest there. Notice that the security entrance is now going to be over at the drop off area entering the soon to be demolished hotel. So this may take a lot of pedestrian traffic off Harbor Blvd. They won't have a crosswalk or access to the pedestrian bridge on Harbor. I like that as a safety move. We'll see how that works funneling local hotel guests to the backside of the hotel instead of the front.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
Everything looks good, I hope it works efficiently. I like that more landscaping will replace what is essentially a vast concrete area right now.

I REALLY wish DLR Cast shuttles would not drop off in a Guest On Stage area. I feel it must be both an inconvenience to CMs and something that should be more behind the scenes in regards to the guests.

RMichael21

Original Poster
Lots to digest there. Notice that the security entrance is now going to be over at the drop off area entering the soon to be demolished hotel. So this may take a lot of pedestrian traffic off Harbor Blvd. They won't have a crosswalk or access to the pedestrian bridge on Harbor. I like that as a safety move. We'll see how that works funneling local hotel guests to the backside of the hotel instead of the front.
Yeah, should be interesting, especially with hotel guests having to walk south and all the way around into the new complex to get to the parks as opposed as to across the street.

Travel Junkie

Here's the article to go along with including a pic of the parking structure.

obq26n-b88771744z.120160810184233000g45i60r5.10.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-725346-parking-disneyland.html

From the plans above what stands out is the new security checkpoint is pushed back to the other side of Harbor with a skinny walking path leading to DL or DCA. This lends credence to the Hollywoodland backlot area being expanded into the old transportation hub area.

RMichael21

Original Poster
That actually looks really great. I hope it works efficiently.

I REALLY wish DLR Cast shuttles would not drop off in a Guest On Stage area. I feel it must be both an inconvenience to CMs and something that should more behind the scenes in regards to the guests.
I'm pretty sure that the CM Drop Off will be underneath the Guest Pathway. If you look at the red lines on the outlines, I'm pretty sure that indicates an elevated walkway.

jbradway

Everything looks good, I hope it works efficiently. I like that more landscaping will replace what is essentially a vast concrete area right now.

I REALLY wish DLR Cast shuttles would not drop off in a Guest On Stage area. I feel it must be both an inconvenience to CMs and something that should be more behind the scenes in regards to the guests.

You that is probably a very good point. Considering the backstage underpass road that goes between the parks is only a few yards to the west of the road that the buses currently use. Why not put a gate in there and use the underpass under the east end of the Esplanade to get the the current Harbor cast drop off?

RMichael21

Original Poster
I would assume this would help alleviate not just Pedestrian traffic, but also traffic from from cars, as I'm almost certain there wouldn't be as many people trying to cross the roads (or any).

vancee

nooo that means more walking after a full day to the darn art buses (which take forever and then you get a old grouchy bus driver who cant wait to get off work) to get to your hotel. great, i always dread the walk to the bus already as my eyes are halfway closed because im super tired.

jbradway

Yeah, should be interesting, especially with hotel guests having to walk south and all the way around into the new complex to get to the parks as opposed as to across the street.

Maybe they can allow the hotels with their east end adjacent to the pedestrian path build a gateway to the path? But then again, maybe not. It might be in their long term interest to make it harder for their guests to get to the entrance without a shuttle. Then the attractiveness of the hotels along Harbor won't seem ideal. No longer is it a short walk to the resort entrance. Costs of adding a shuttle will affect the room rates, etc. No more cheap room and easy access. I can see Disney playing a little hard ball in order to open up the possibility of buying up more hotels along that stretch of Harbor.

PiratesMansion

Perhaps there will be a crosswalk near the Cast dropoff and then Harbor people will go through security with Cast?
That wouldn't be THAT different from how it is now.

truecoat

With this project, they have totally cut off access to restaurants, hotels and shops across the street without an incredibly long walk.

BrianLo

I can't help but look at that and think how desperately Disney would love to buy out the Camelot partially and the Tropicana in particular.

They could very easily create a Downtown Disney "East" using those two sides of the Pedestrian walkway. Or even build a hotel that dumps out directly onto the walkway with its own private security lines.

In the proposed state it is giving me HKDL Park Promenade vibes. Peek through the bushes for a look backstage or at Harbour Blvd.

MoonRakerSCM

WOW! I love seeing the plans!

SO, Security will be on the EAST side of the hotels, impressive! They don't show any other checkpoints on the plans, but that would mean that the entire walkway and esplande is a secured area... I have a feeling Disney is doing a bit of a jab at the hotels and restaurants on Harbor... the hotels may survive... but the restaurants will REALLY suffer if this set up is truly how it will be and there's no access to Harbor.

One place that will thrive though both due to exposure and pedestrian traffic is Gardenwalk... it will finally be successful due to its proximity to Disneylands Eastern entrance now. House of Blues' move makes total sense now.

DCA gets a sizable chunk of land due to the east esplanade being moved. Certainly enough space for a land if it end up being a 'true' backlot or Marvel land etc...

I'm pretty sure the monorail move is accurate from the image shown... the turn into Buena Vista Street will be tight, but it does that tigh above Autopia... so it can be done.

I have a feeling Monters Inc. and other backlot buildings are quite numbered in their days... whatever is planned for the backlot expansion I have a feeling will move quickly...

Wow!

TP2000

These maps and images are fascinating. Thank you very much to @RMichael21 and @truecoat for including them here.

Truly an exciting time for the Disneyland Resort. These types of things should have been part of the 2001 Resort Expansion, or the 2012 DCA Extreme Makeover, but better late than never.

@Curious Constance , the access to Harbor Blvd. has been cut off from the current Esplanade. These plans have eliminated both the access to Harbor Blvd. as well as the crosswalk over Harbor at the International House of Pancakes intersection. This sidewalk access point on Harbor goes away entirely, and the bus loading area beyond no longer exists by 2018.
latest

That doesn't exist once this plan is complete, and a pedestrian would need to walk down to Disney Way to get into the new Toy Story shuttle loading area, or to the new structure via the "Pedestrian Portal" on the first posts image here, to get through security and over the skybridge. Either way is quite a walk.

This image from the OC Register story may help explain it. The motels and restaurants on Harbor Blvd. will be cut off from Disneyland, unless you walk over the skybridge and through the structure south to Disney Way and then north up Harbor Blvd. again. A very long walk not worth whatever International House of Pancakes is charging for Swedish Pancakes in 2018.
obq3sz-disneyparkinglot2.gif

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom