2016 Lawsuits against Disney

The Mom

Premium Member
How long is allowed for filing from time of incident? Some of these go back to an incident in 2012, that seems like a long time to file a simple slip and fall, etc.

Depends. With medical issues, the clock doesn't start until discovery. The plaintiff might have been having orthopedic issues, an MRI was done, and he/she was asked, "Your pain is due to X being torn/broken. Did you ever have a bad fall?" .

In the 1980s, there were lawsuits over DES (a drug to prevent miscarriage) given 30 years earlier. The babies, now adults, were getting certain cancers at an unusually high rate.

Courtney6682

I twisted my ankle stepping off a curb in 2011 in Frontier Land...had to be on crutches and in a wheelchair for the rest of the trip...I would NEVER DREAM of suing for something like that! I hate people....:mad:

MySmallWorldof4

Just wanted to put this out there. The family of the little boy who was killed by the alligator has put out a statement that they will not sue Disney over the death of their son.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just wanted to put this out there. The family of the little boy who was killed by the alligator has put out a statement that they will not sue Disney over the death of their son.

Doesn't mean they haven't already received a settlement... just that they don't need to have a lawsuit to get the outcome they are satisfied with.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

There's a dedicated discussion on this in another thread. Alas thanks, I've been waiting to hear about that.

rob0519

I twisted my ankle stepping off a curb in 2011 in Frontier Land...had to be on crutches and in a wheelchair for the rest of the trip...I would NEVER DREAM of suing for something like that! I hate people....:mad:

Stepping off a curb, unless the curb was broken and the concrete gave way is not negligence on Disney's part. That sort of suit would most likely get nowhere. Now, the concrete was wet due to a maintenance spill or other type of direct negligence there might be a case.

Courtney6682

Stepping off a curb, unless the curb was broken and the concrete gave way is not negligence on Disney's part. That sort of suit would most likely get nowhere. Now, the concrete was wet due to a maintenance spill or other type of direct negligence there might be a case.

I was just saying that there WOULD be people who try to. My point was the people will sue for ANYTHING...even if it's their fault...

rob0519

I was just saying that there WOULD be people who try to. My point was the people will sue for ANYTHING...even if it's their fault...

Well, under our system of government it is everyone's right to sue for anything, even if whatever they're suing for is their fault. I was saying a suit like that would probably get dismissed. Don't blame the people. Blame the system. Remember for everyone who gets something he or she may not deserve, there is someone who has a legitimate case and gets nothing or way less than they deserve.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good idea for a thread. Haven't read all of the pages, but did anyone else find it funny that someone slipped on toppings at the toppings bar at Pecos Bills?:D:D:p I'm sure it sucked for the person who fell and it must have been pretty serious to file a lawsuit, but tripping on some taco cheese or jalepano peppers is just plain funny. I do like the taco salad there:cool:

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Good idea for a thread. Haven't read all of the pages, but did anyone else find it funny that someone slipped on toppings at the toppings bar at Pecos Bills?:D:D:p I'm sure it sucked for the person who fell and it must have been pretty serious to file a lawsuit, but tripping on some taco cheese or jalepano peppers is just plain funny. I do like the taco salad there:cool:

I'll update it tomorrow. Its really interesting to see what all everyone sues for.

JennSmith

So much like our Permitting Thread, I'm going to take a look at the cases filed against Disney in Orange County District Court. (Osceola isn't online and they would transfer it to Orange anyways)

Ed. Note: We aren't discussing any foreclosures unless they are foreclosures on DVC properties, which I haven't seen pop up as of yet. (There are foreclosures where Disney may have a claim but are not relevant to this.)

Jan 2016

2016-CA-000327-O NUNEZ, JUAN vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS U S INC

Filed 1/14/16. Premise Liability. Plaintiff's son fell off an inner tube on a waterslide at Typhoon Lagoon. Another guest went down the slide and struck defendant's son.
Wants unspecified damages.

UPDATE - Dismissed by Plaintiff 7/6

2016-CA-000409-O ROSALES, OMAR et al. vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 1/16/16. Plaintiffs were on the Peoplemover in October 2014 when the ride malfunctioned, causing the plaintiff's ride vehicle to strike a vehicle in front of them as well as their behicle was struck from behind.
Wants damages in excess of $15,000.

2016-CA-000639-O TERRY, ALISON vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 1/25/16. Premise Liability. Plaintiff slipped and fell at the toppings bar of Pecos Bill's.
Wants $15,000.

2016-CA-000651-O AMBUHL, KENNETH et al.vs.BAY LAKE TOWER AT DISNEYS CONTEMPORARY RESORT CONDOMINIUM ASSOCIATION INC et al.

Filed 1/25. Premise Liability. Plaintiff was attempting to go through the gate in a wheelchair to enter BLT's pool area when the gate abruptly slammed shut, injuring plaintiff's toes.
Wants unspecified damages.

2016-CA-000931-O BANKERS STANDARD INSURANCE COMPANY vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 1/28. Plaintiff's room was not ready at the Contemporary. Plaintiff's vehicle was subsequently broken into while he was waiting. Plaintiff is suing for $84,018.21.

2016-CA-000815-O MOBLEY, HELENA vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US

Filed 1/29. Employment Discrimination. Plaintiff, an admin for a Disney Security Executive, applied for a Executive Assistant and was told by her boss she was a shoe in. Didn't get it. Complained, alleged discrimination because she is married to an African-American. Was told there wasn't a place for her in security division anymore after complaining. Plaintiff alleges retaliation for the complaint. Plaintiff is now working as an admin assistant in custodial.

2016-CA-000831-O RYAN, PATRICK vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 1/29. Premise Liability. Plaintiff tripped and fell in the MK parking lot. Plaintiff claims he tripped over a bolt.

2016-CA-000854-O GIRON, MARIA vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC, A FLORIDA CORPORATION

Filed 2/1. Premise Liability. Plaintiff was injured when she fell getting onto Primeval Whirl at DAK.

2016-CA-000860-O JACKSON, ROBIN M et al.vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 2/1. Premise Liability. "Defendant Negligently opened a door in the Pirates of Caribbean attraction with such force that it struck the Plaintiff." (Copied straight from the Complaint -ed.)

2016-CA-000894-O LETO, SHIRLEY vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS U S INC

Filed 2/2. Premise Liability. Plaintiff Stepped off a curb near Cinderella's Castle (in 12/14) that she could not see due to crowds and broke her right ankle, tibula and fibula.

2016-CA-001104-O MOUNTIN, SUSAN vs.WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 2/8. Premise Liability. Plaintiff tripped over a piece of removed signpost protruding from the asphalt parking lot at Pop Century and fell.

2016-CA-001292-O SANDOVAL, JASMIN vs. WALT DISNEY WORLD CO

Filed 2/14. Plaintiff was a waitress at The Plaza Restaurant, alleges defendant violated the Florida Minimum Wage act.

2016-CA-001379-O GOMEZ, EDWARDvs.WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 2/16. Plaintiff claims he injured his back on Summit Plummit at Blizzard Beach.

2016-CA-001430-O MORTON, BRENDA vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Filed 2/17. Premise Liability. (Complaint Unavailable at the moment but filed Pro Se, meaning self represented.)

2016-CA-001518-O SAMAN, CHARLIE et al. vs. THE WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC et al.

The plaintiff alleges that while on Splash Mountain the safety restraints did not lock in properly and the defendant was forced to jump out of the ride vehicle. There's a second count wherein the plaintiff was in a van backstage and the van hit a barrier backstage. (Filed 2/19)

2016-CA-001613-O EDELSTEIN, RHONDA vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Plaintiff tripped and fell while in the Mexico pavilion, injuring arm and shoulder. (Filed 2/24)

2016-CA-001648-O ORTIZ, RAFAEL C vs. MONSTER BEVERAGE CORPORATION et al.

Plaintiff purchased and consumed a can of Monster Energy at DAK and later that night he suffered a stroke. Plaintiff alleges the beverage caused the stroke. Plaintiff alleges a Design Defect against Disney, essentially because Disney sold him the defective beverage. (Filed 2/24)

UPDATE - Joint Dismissal 6/3

2016-CA-001914-O DION, CELESTE M vs. ALMAGUER, CAL et al.

Plaintiff, an employee of the Disney Reservation Center, took an FMLA leave for twelve weeks. Plaintiff was later terminated. Plaintiff alleges management created false grounds for her termination. Plaintiff also filed an EEOC complaint, alleging age discrimination. (Plaintiff is 66) which was dismissed because she didnt file within 90 days. (Filed 3/1)

2016-CA-001950-O SUTTON, SIMONE vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS, US, INC.

Plaintiff was staying at Port Orleans Riverside, slipped and fell outside her room. (Filed 3/3)

2016-CA-002281-O DOTSON, BRIAN vs. WALT DISNEY IMAGINEERING RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT INC, IMPACT LIGHTING INC

Plaintiff was contracted to install fiber optics for the Frozen attraction and was never paid. Plaintiff amended the complaint to remove Disney from the suit and is owed over $53,000 by Impact Lighting.

(Filed 3/15, Amended 5/25)

2016-CA-002647-O CHANG, ANGELISA vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS US INC

Plantiff's Child had their hand crushed in a door at the All Star Resort.

(Filed 3/25)

Criminal Cases

2016-TR-000975-A-W STATE OF FLORIDA vs. WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS U S INC

1/7/16. Civil traffic infraction. Someone in a company vehicle ran a red light at Palm Pkwy/535 and caught by a red light camera.
Are people serious with this crap?! Lol...wow.

Jakesky40

This is the saddest thing I've seen... Nearly all these cases are trip and falls. Learn to walk people. Also you fall somewhere, it's not the freaking company's fault! I slipped on a puddle the other day at a target parking lot. I'm not going to sue Target. Grow up people!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is the saddest thing I've seen... Nearly all these cases are trip and falls. Learn to walk people. Also you fall somewhere, it's not the freaking company's fault! I slipped on a puddle the other day at a target parking lot. I'm not going to sue Target. Grow up people!
You should have sued the clouds or even better God for making it rain. Now those are some deep pockets:eek::rolleyes:

JennSmith

I read all of the lawsuits last night and seriously could not read some of them with a straight face.
Who is even representing these people? I knew come people were lawsuit happy but I was never aware that it was this bad :eek:

daringstoic

Does anyone know how far back the public record of these types of lawsuits goes? There was an incident that happened at Splash when I was a CP ten years ago that I've always been curious about. A bunch of other CMs has to give statements, and I know the family was threatening to sue, but we never heard anything about it afterward.

It would probably be hard to dig anything up on it since I don't know the name of the guest involved, but reading this thread has reawakened my curiosity.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just read a report that a family has sued Disney after their little girl tripped on some stairs in the Buena Vista theatre on one of the ships. Says Disney was negligent, failed to warn about hazardous conditions, etc., along with the usual blah, blah, blah about emotional distress and loss of capacity for enjoyment of life. Parents are asking for a jury trail...case was filed in federal court. Report didn't give case number.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Just read a report that a family has sued Disney after their little girl tripped on some stairs in the Buena Vista theatre on one of the ships. Says Disney was negligent, failed to warn about hazardous conditions, etc., along with the usual blah, blah, blah about emotional distress and loss of capacity for enjoyment of life. Parents are asking for a jury trail...case was filed in federal court. Report didn't give case number.
I believe the "accident" happened back in 2015 :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom