Wookies, & Rebels, & Droids... OH WHY?! The Anti-SWL in Disneyland Thread

Donaldfan1934

If the public ever tires of Star Wars, the infrastructure will all be in place for a (relatively) quick conversion to Discovery Bay!
I agree, but it seems unlikely since the franchise has been evergreen for 40 years and will likely still be in 40 more. Although Disney could very well go overboard with its new Star Wars movie every year plan. That thrills me as a Disneyland fan, but deeply worries me as a Star Wars fan.

Variable

Im not the one playing martyr and victimizing myself over persons OPINION of a Disney park theme. For a SJW, "hatred" is such a selective term. Attack the person, instead of discussing the issue....great solution!

You keep tossing around this SJW thing. It's trendy now, good for you. Keep carrying Ravens water like a good lackey.

This isn't a thread for discussion, it's a stated safe space for those that dont like the location. Nothing to discuss when everyone agrees. But go ahead, continue your 'discussion'

Oh, and a true martyr would totally quit going to, at the very least, DL. But not our threads host: she's going, just not to that one area. So Disney gets the money and thus affirmation of its decisions.

There are few martyrs on this board. They've become so upset with Disney's direction they've totally quit going to any Disney park. Now THATs strength of conviction!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
You keep tossing around this SJW thing. It's trendy now, good for you. Keep carrying Ravens water like a good lackey.
Its actually vodka in that water bottle. Dont you know how a true Disney vet gets booze in MK?
This isn't a thread for discussion, it's a stated safe space for those that dont like the location. Nothing to discuss when everyone agrees. But go ahead, continue your 'discussion'
So its like a free speech zone? All joking aside, Im not up in arms over the whole thing. I believe the problems that plague the companies decisions such as this or FEA in Norway are systemic, and not just of TWDC but the entire planet. Systemic problems require systemic solutions.

The world has simply become too fast paced. But for what reasons? What is everybody racing towards? Is there an actual answer to that? We try so hard to advance everything as fast as possible, and why...So our cell phones take better pictures of the moments we are actually in, but we experience it through the lens of our new 45 megapixel Galaxy S7? And we then upload it to Facebook so everybody else can envy the amazing moment we actually didnt even experience ourselves. Whether its technology or a persons desire for a theme park ride featuring Jedis and Wookies, we all just need to slow down and stop forcing everything to happen as fast as possible. Who lives longer, a rabbit, or a turtle?

People wanted a Frozen ride in Norway pavilion just because it was able to happen more quickly in that location, yet they would debate all day that it was a 100% thematic fit, which was nothing more than an effort to camouflage their greed and desire for a new attraction, or worse, their lack of understanding a larger concept of a fluid theme. Either way, Disney could have announced they were building FEA in the lobby of Pop Century and people would have found a reason as to why it was a perfect fit. Same with SWL. People want it, so they will defend any decision the company makes to get it built. Just my opinion, and Ill be the first to say Im an idiot and could be completely wrong. But I love Star Wars, I want a SWL as bad as the next guy, but Id be willing to wait longer if it meant it would be better. But Ill at last defend the fact that DL does not have the size of WDW, so it was most likely a difficult decision to make, or at least I hope it was.

Donaldfan1934

Its actually vodka in that water bottle. Dont you know how a true Disney vet gets booze in MK?

So its like a free speech zone? All joking aside, Im not up in arms over the whole thing. I believe the problems that plague the companies decisions such as this or FEA in Norway are systemic, and not just of TWDC but the entire planet. Systemic problems require systemic solutions.

The world has simply become too fast paced. But for what reasons? What is everybody racing towards? Is there an actual answer to that? We try so hard to advance everything as fast as possible, and why...So our cell phones take better pictures of the moments we are actually in, but we experience it through the lens of our new 45 megapixel Galaxy S7? And we then upload it to Facebook so everybody else can envy the amazing moment we actually didnt even experience ourselves. Whether its technology or a persons desire for a theme park ride featuring Jedis and Wookies, we all just need to slow down and stop forcing everything to happen as fast as possible. Who lives longer, a rabbit, or a turtle?

People wanted a Frozen ride in Norway pavilion just because it was able to happen more quickly in that location, yet they would debate all day that it was a 100% thematic fit, which was nothing more than an effort to camouflage their greed and desire for a new attraction, or worse, their lack of understanding a larger concept of a fluid theme. Either way, Disney could have announced they were building FEA in the lobby of Pop Century and people would have found a reason as to why it was a perfect fit. Same with SWL. People want it, so they will defend any decision the company makes to get it built. Just my opinion, and Ill be the first to say Im an idiot and could be completely wrong. But I love Star Wars, I want a SWL as bad as the next guy, but Id be willing to wait longer if it meant it would be better. But Ill at last defend the fact that DL does not have the size of WDW, so it was most likely a difficult decision to make, or at least I hope it was.
What a perfectly written post. Immediate gratification isn't just a corporate problem, but one that plagues all of the U.S., if not the entire first world. The more we give in to it, the more aspects of our culture we will recklessly destroy.

George Lucas on a Bench

What I still don't get about converting Frozen to Maelstrom (and I realize this is only loosely connected to the whole Star Wars issue, but still relevant) is that Maelstrom isn't a particularly high-capacity attraction and it's one of only two rides in the World Showcase. It always had a decent line. Of course. There's only one other ride in the vicinity. Plenty of time to admire that fantastic mural, eh? Anyway, why would you turn a ride that was already a major draw in EPCOT (regardless of how you feel about the ride itself) into a ride that would undoubtedly be mega popular? I mean, the lines for this thing have been atrocious. Meanwhile, a park right next door is positively starving for rides...

I don't care how you feel about Maelstrom or the Frozen ride, you have to admit that was an absolutely bonehead decision.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The Fantasyland example is moot in terms of my argument. I've said this before, Fantasyland had multiple rides based on movies, but they were their own, separate entities. Fantasyland isn't Snow White Land, or Peter Pan Land, or Mr. Toad Land. All of the attractions are based on individual IPs. That is completely different from Star Wars Land, for reasons I'm sure I won't have to explain. This won't be just a ride, like Star Tours, this will be an entire land dedicated to nothing but Star Wars. There is a difference.

Yes...we can even have entire AREAS now that are far more cohesive and binding.. rather than lots of disparate things glued together with blind corners and obstructions to hide things.

What you paint as a negative, I see potential in. The vista that we got with Carsland is so powerful because of its scale and perfect integration with the other components in the land. If RSR was just a single attraction behind a facade (Here's looking at you Soarin') we get far less impact and scale.

The DL of the 50s and 60s didn't have the kind of entertainment competition that we have now. It's not enough to just have a free-standing experience. Places like DL thrive on being able to do far more, at levels and scales the independents or home tech can't touch. Doing MORE within a cohesive universe is not a bad thing.. when it allows us to enter it and go further than we could have experienced otherwise.

I don't buy into the worries about 'too much dedicated to one thing' - this is an expansion. I do worry about how it dovetails into the rest of the park, especially since we are coming from the side of the park that was more 'old times'.. but that's why we look to what should be the best in the industry to make it work.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Yes...we can even have entire AREAS now that are far more cohesive and binding.. rather than lots of disparate things glued together with blind corners and obstructions to hide things.

What you paint as a negative, I see potential in. The vista that we got with Carsland is so powerful because of its scale and perfect integration with the other components in the land. If RSR was just a single attraction behind a facade (Here's looking at you Soarin') we get far less impact and scale.

The DL of the 50s and 60s didn't have the kind of entertainment competition that we have now. It's not enough to just have a free-standing experience. Places like DL thrive on being able to do far more, at levels and scales the independents or home tech can't touch. Doing MORE within a cohesive universe is not a bad thing.. when it allows us to enter it and go further than we could have experienced otherwise.

I don't buy into the worries about 'too much dedicated to one thing' - this is an expansion. I do worry about how it dovetails into the rest of the park, especially since we are coming from the side of the park that was more 'old times'.. but that's why we look to what should be the best in the industry to make it work.

I disagree, but that's your opinion and I respect it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Read the thread. Raven openly discusses the motivation of this thread.
And I've plainly stated there are points Raven makes I agree with. But the over wrought
over the top posts of pure hatre towards Disney employees is beyond.

A little push back got you down. Sorry about the truth.

If you don't like the topic of the thread and its premise.. then just don't open it.

Don't go away mad.. just go away.

Variable

If you don't like the topic of the thread and its premise.. then just don't open it.

Don't go away mad.. just go away.

Might as well, the topic has started to drift because it was so narrow, and the participants so few, they just keep preaching to their small choir. It's becoming a redundant b&m thread about anything

flynnibus

Premium Member
Might as well, the topic has started to drift because it was so narrow, and the participants so few, they just keep preaching to their small choir. It's becoming a redundant b&m thread about anything

Well since you've done such a great job of being active and jumping right in... With over a hundred posts in less than four days... I'm sure there are plenty of other threads you can... uhh... Return to...

No need to watch this thread if the topic and purpose doesn't interest your personalities. The rum even gives you a pretty link to unwatch the thread.

Donaldfan1934

In all fairness to @raven24's argument, Fantasyland is extremely cohessisive.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Well since you've done such a great job of being active and jumping right in... With over a hundred posts in less than four days... I'm sure there are plenty of other threads you can... uhh... Return to...

No need to watch this thread if the topic and purpose doesn't interest your personalities. The rum even gives you a pretty link to unwatch the thread.

Thank you.

Like it's really not hard. If you don't like the subject matter, don't click on the thread. My two year-old baby cousin would be able to understand that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In all fairness to @raven24's argument, Fantasyland is extremely cohessisive.

Not really... It instead creates this generic base so you can hop around..and it suffers both ways. Things that are distinct don't really get their space or setting... They get homogenized.... And you still get the mix and match. FL has common threads... And makes a very pleasant area... But it makes huge compromises to make this generic storybook area.

Disneyland's FL strength is it's pleasant setting... More than it's cohesiveness

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
For those who are being respectful in this thread, unlike the few that aren't, such as the one above this post and others (you know who I'm referring to), please ignore their trivial comments. It's just a tactic they're trying to use to divert ongoing, healthy conversation in this thread. It's actually hilarious and even pathetic, I might say, because there are only a handful of us who regularly come here to give the counter argument, and you have those who (again, you know who they are), who feel so insulted and bothered by opinions the MINORITY (really, there are just three of us who keep this topic going) are expressing, and come here to waste their time trying to make fun of or insult people. Now that deserves a big LOL, in all caps. :hilarious: :joyfull:

What's even more funny is they continue to click on my thread and respond to it.

Anyways, carry on, respectful folks. Again, don't let the pointless comments continue to divert the point of this thread, or keep you from commenting. Instead, we will just laugh.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom