Nvidia 1070-1080

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Anyone getting one of these besides myself?

These already are fetching a premium on EBay from scalpers but I wouldn't pay more than suggested retail myself.

Quick note for those not in the know, these cards do not bottleneck slower processors like anything below an I5 6600k or anything AMD, they help increase frame rates for everything.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
image.jpeg
YES!!!!!!!!

Voxel

President of Progress City
My 1070 is completely destroying anything in its path. The 1080 is way better. If you're a gamer and can drop the cash on the 1080, I would do it without hesitation.
Yea my 760 has been dragging since I went 4K on the display so I'm figuring why not.

Cesar R M

Ill wait for aftermarket coolers. Those "stock founders" are thievery.
btw.. a lot of people are saying the 1080 chips are very hard to find (very low yields).
Anyway.. AMD did not surprise anyone with the 480. Very weak despite aiming for middle range (barely touching Nvidia's 980GTX)

Voxel

President of Progress City
Ill wait for aftermarket coolers. Those "stock founders" are thievery.
btw.. a lot of people are saying the 1080 chips are very hard to find (very low yields).
Anyway.. AMD did not surprise anyone with the 480. Very weak despite aiming for middle range (barely touching Nvidia's 980GTX)
AMD released what they said they would release and for $200 less than a 980 you can't complain..
I've been eyeing the Gigabyte 1080 for a week now but it's not in stock, I guess I'll wait till the end of summer.

Cesar R M

AMD released what they said they would release and for $200 less than a 980 you can't complain..
I've been eyeing the Gigabyte 1080 for a week now but it's not in stock, I guess I'll wait till the end of summer.
The issue is more the power draw not the performance. Performance wise its still amazing in DirectX12 (reaches a 980 which is almost 3X the price)
The power... I mean... Its almost as big as a 1080 power consumption wise.
Theres reports of the card overdrawing from the motherboard's PCI-E lanes by a huge margin. That is dangerous for motherboards.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
The AMD vs Nvidia fanboi's is as bad as the Universal vs Disney debates.

But...

Reports are starting to come in the people are blowing out motherboards trying to crossfire the RX 480 because it's drawing too much from the PCI-E slot. If this is true this is bad bad news for AMD.

We have to root for AMD to keep Intel and Nvidia honest in their pricing but AMD has to make good products.

Cesar R M

The AMD vs Nvidia fanboi's is as bad as the Universal vs Disney debates.

But...

Reports are starting to come in the people are blowing out motherboards trying to crossfire the RX 480 because it's drawing too much from the PCI-E slot. If this is true this is bad bad news for AMD.

We have to root for AMD to keep Intel and Nvidia honest in their pricing but AMD has to make good products.
blowing? really? where?
That sounds like Nvidia fanboy overinflation. Just like the hilarious skewed "performance graph" of the Nvidia 1060.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
blowing? really? where?
That sounds like Nvidia fanboy overinflation. Just like the hilarious skewed "performance graph" of the Nvidia 1060.

I think it's bs to be honest but there are a couple reviews where they blew the motherboard along with some guy losing audio after crossfire.

AMD is supposedly making a statement on Tuesday about this. Apparently most experts are saying it's only a bios fix so I hope it's that simple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom