Why Do People Struggle So Much With Snack Prices?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I think people are extra sensitive about Disney prices because they pay everything to Disney on their vacation. It's a one-stop destination.

Take, for example, a vacation to Tennessee. You pay Alamo for your rental car. You pay Holiday Inn for your lodging. You pay Dollywood and the Grand Ole Opry for your entertainment. You pay Boot Country and Ernest Tubb Record Shop for your souvenirs, and you pay Rippy's Ribs for your dinner. At Disney, you're paying for your transportation, entertainment, F&B, and merchandise all from Disney specifically. This creates an entitlement mentality because people think "well Disney already has my money from park tickets and my hotel room, so I deserve [cheap food, pool hopping, short lines, unlimited towels]."
Excellent point. It's a great model for Disney but it's also deceptive for people.

When you're getting hit with several different expenses to an array of vendors, you tend to forget the total. When every single transaction goes to Disney, it's that "Mickey is Counting Our Money" mentality.

I've made that argument in the past. Go anywhere on vacation and total up every cost, then weigh it with activity and you'll see Disney isn't bad value at all. They just get ALL the money.

DisneyFans4Life

Hold on a sec...wasn't there a thread a while back about how poor the quality of water coming from the fountains is lol? I guess some are too good to drink fountain water, but not good enough to shell out $3 for bottled water.

YozhikRoth

It's not just Disney, at a Mets game this weekend, i noted the comparison of Shake Shack prices vs. my local Shake Shack

Burgers: $10.50 vs. $8.09 (30% markup)
Fries: $5.75 vs. $2.99 (92% markup)
Shakes: $6.75 vs. $5.29 (28% markup)

And you know what? There was still a 45 minute line.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Nice subtle jab, but my topics are on point, perhaps you just don't like the content. And price topics are all over this board, most of them not started by me. I simply discuss my opinion on value and try to be the voice of reason in the constant complaining about price increases.

$3 for water shouldn't be putting anyone in the poor house. if it does,you shouldn't be at WDW in the first place.

If you haven't heard guest complaints about prices, you must not go to WDW very often. Don't like this discussion? There are thousands of other threads to read...pick one of those.
Its not the content...........
you are the first to squeal like a pig when someone posts anything about your beloved corporation, yet you expect double standard when you make your wee fan boy posts and someone posts a counter point. Wallop out come your victim card, oh nasty poster dont jab me, its a one way street dontcha know. . .
Voice of reason? Oh if one was chocolate one would eat ones self.

Laughing-craig-ferguson-9991882-350-263.gif
comedy gold.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
To be fair, if you're paying $3 for a bottle of water that you can get for a $1.25 out of a machine, that IS a little much. It's not like Disney is relying on beverage sales to maintain their business like it would a sports team & their venue.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Curious...where are all the folks chiming in that Disney is all so horrible and overpriced and only out to make a buck??
Definitely not on these forums. Despite our discussions, some of us actually LIKE Disney!:rolleyes:

And yes, the prices are so high because where else are you going to get a bottle of water and Mickey shaped ice cream when you're smack-dab in the middle of Tomorrowland?

Mickey5150

To be fair, if you're paying $3 for a bottle of water that you can get for a $1.25 out of a machine, that IS a little much. It's not like Disney is relying on beverage sales to maintain their business like it would a sports team & their venue.
Paying $1.25 for a bottle of water is too much when you can drink out of the fountains for free.

DisneyFans4Life

It's a bit harder to do at MK, but at Epcot and Hollywood Studios you can walk in to Electric Umbrella or Backlot Express and refill any cups/bottles you may bring in with ice and water. And if you're feeling up to being dishonest...Coke and Tea.

Everytime we go to these parks we fill up our Tervis' with water and ice multiple times a day...for free!!

danyoung56

Hold on a sec...wasn't there a thread a while back about how poor the quality of water coming from the fountains is lol?

I'll take a swallow out of a fountain to wet my whistle, but it's really pretty awful (and most times warm!). That $3 bottle of Dasani water is ice cold, tastes great, and is portable. Totally worth the $3 IMO.

And I'm not big on the option to get a free cup of ice water from a food kiosk. There are usually lines, and I'd have to wait in line just to get a CM to basically do me a favor. I'd rather just walk up to one of the big tubs and pull a bottle of water, even though I have to pay for it.

YozhikRoth

I'll take a swallow out of a fountain to wet my whistle, but it's really pretty awful (and most times warm!). That $3 bottle of Dasani water is ice cold, tastes great, and is portable. Totally worth the $3 IMO.

And I'm not big on the option to get a free cup of ice water from a food kiosk. There are usually lines, and I'd have to wait in line just to get a CM to basically do me a favor. I'd rather just walk up to one of the big tubs and pull a bottle of water, even though I have to pay for it.

This is not a Disney gripe but a Coke gripe, as Dasani is nothing more than purified tap water. It gives me the heebie jeebies when I see people buy cases of (clearly labeled) purified water instead of spring water......

DfromATX

It's a bit harder to do at MK, but at Epcot and Hollywood Studios you can walk in to Electric Umbrella or Backlot Express and refill any cups/bottles you may bring in with ice and water. And if you're feeling up to being dishonest...Coke and Tea.

Everytime we go to these parks we fill up our Tervis' with water and ice multiple times a day...for free!!

Can you go to any drink station to get the free water and ice? Just bring your own bottle/cup?

slappy magoo

I just got back from WDW on a wonderful 8 day trip. If anyone else was there, you know it was pretty warm (over 90 several days)...

The weather is another thing to consider about the rationale behind griping. Being uncomfortable can bring out the jerkwad in just about anyone, from being too hot or too cold or too wet in a rainstorm, not to mention too sleepy, too hungry, too thirsty, too overstimulated, too sore, too injured, whatever. You're out of your comfort zone, everything that annoys you is added to that giant pile of suck. Things you could shrug off in certain circumstances (I'm at work, I'm hungry, but I know I can take a break once this project is done) become unbearable in others (I'm at work, I'm hungry, this project has no end in sight, I'm getting phone calls about a prior project that now needs revisions, my wife is calling about a bill she forgot to pay, I know I'll be working late and have to take a 90+minute local train home, someone slammed a door on my hand by accident THAT hurt, I just realized I forgot to put on anti-perspirant so now I'm self-conscious but I can't take the time to run across to the CVS let alone stop for 20 minutes to eat a sandwich, CAN I EAT MY LUNCH BEFORE IT'S F***ING DINNER TIME?)

None of this has anything to do with the poor CM who winds up bearing the brunt of your crankiness because they're the ones with the water or the snack or the souvenir you or someone in your party want. And a lot of people feel completely justified in being cranky at the time, only to look back later and go "yeesh, I was a major yutz." But it happens. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the conditioning/training CMs go through is a Good Will Hunting-esque "it's not your fault" seminar, where they learn how to accept hostility they had no responsibility creating.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom