New Star Wars half at WDW announced

Texas84

That gravel path into WWoS was used in the ToT 10-miler. I actually like that path. Then the gravel later inside WWoS is used in the January full. So no, gravel or dirt is not an issue in certification. Maybe they were just lazy.

I enjoyed both the 10K and half courses, probably because they were new. World Showcase is always fun to run through in the morning. The path to DHS was not an issue but I was in corral D.

I need to tell runDisney to get Samurai Stormtroopers and Vader in Japan (search for it). :)

Mad Stitch

I'm home (unfortunately :(). What great conditions for running. I did not experience any bottle necks but I had some friends in the back corrals say they couldn't truly start running until they exited the Studios. I successful completed the Dark Side Challenge. Getting up early like that 2 days in a row was tougher then I thought. I have a new respect for those of you who have done the Dopey now. Overall I have no complaints, it was a great weekend. What did you guys think of having the characters at the end of the race for pictures?

The course certifications are now posted.

Chet Dakota

[QUOTE="Texas84, post: 7179491, member: 11381" The path to DHS was not an issue but I was in corral D.[/QUOTE]

I started in C for the half. The only time that I thought it was crowded was along the sidewalk at the DHS bus stops.

I guess the dirt paths are a matter of preference. I thought it was a little like running along the beach in sand that slows me down.

tribbleorlfl

The 5k was my first RunDisney event, heck, my first ever 5k period. I've never been known to be super-active so this was definitely a challenge for me. While my out-of-shape behind ended up speed walking more than I ran, it was comforting to see so many other nerds like me attempting to do the same thing for the love of SW. It was fun and it definitely inspired me to try and make a serious go of it next year.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh, and it was good to see all the cosplayers. I didn't think WDW would allow them.

I especially loved the Stormtrooper Fairies that ran in the 10k. And my respect goes to the womanndressed as C3P0 we saw while waiting for our bus Saturday morning. She took the time to paint herself gold, including her face, in addition to her gold suit. It was an awesome costume, but all I could think of is the gold sweat running down her face around mile 5.

Texas84

The 5k was my first RunDisney event, heck, my first ever 5k period. I've never been known to be super-active so this was definitely a challenge for me. While my out-of-shape behind ended up speed walking more than I ran, it was comforting to see so many other nerds like me attempting to do the same thing for the love of SW. It was fun and it definitely inspired me to try and make a serious go of it next year.

Congrats!

Chet Dakota

This is great that you got started.

My story to running started in Dec 2014 when I decided to start running for health/weight loss/vanity reasons. It was something I needed to do. With most things, I was concerned about motivation to keep going. My family and I visited DLR in January 2015 not knowing anything about the Star Wars Half out there. When I saw what was going on with the event, it motivated me and I decided then and there that I would participate in 2016. At the time, I could not even run about a half mile without stopping/walking. I went every morning and just kept going, doing more and more, running more, walking less. I ran my first 5k last August and my first 10k in September. Currently, I run at least three miles a day, 6 to 7 days a week. I ran all three races for the Rebel Challenge at DLR this past January and completed all three at Dark Side this past weekend. Set new PRs at 54:52 for the 10k and 2:03:20 for the Half.

Use your love for Star Wars as your motivation and just keep running. Good luck!

Chet Dakota

I especially loved the Stormtrooper Fairies that ran in the 10k. And my respect goes to the womanndressed as C3P0 we saw while waiting for our bus Saturday morning. She took the time to paint herself gold, including her face, in addition to her gold suit. It was an awesome costume, but all I could think of is the gold sweat running down her face around mile 5.

I did not think that there were as many runners in costumes at Dark Side as there were at Rebel Challenge this year. There were some really creative ones at DLR. Th best one I saw was a runner dressed as Han Solo who had a lighted/glowing red lightsaber through his chest and out his back. That was awesome.

Chet Dakota

I noticed that the mile makers on the 10k course course yesterday didn't coincide with the GPS on my watch either.

I use the RunKeeper App on my iPhone 6. It recorded the runs this weekend to be 3.23 miles, 6.30 miles ad 13.30 miles. It seemed to add 0.1 miles for each 3 miles ran. Not sure if it is my phone, the course or the accuracy of the tracking in the app.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
I use the RunKeeper App on my iPhone 6
Not for nothing but RK completely failed me during the marathon. I used it consistently up until the race, i.e., all my runs training last month. I'm not sure why as I had the auto-pause off, but it basically showed a handful of .10, and .5 miles and then a final 6 mile run. I was very disappointed.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Someone said there was over 16,000 people running the 1/2. Does anyone know how many people were there?

It took me 40 minutes just to get to the 5k mark. The 10k mark was a little better and I did decide to pull off for a few photo ops. I figured, I wasn't going to have a great finishing time, so why not enjoy myself.

dreamfinder

Yes, the weather Sunday was almost perfect.

As for the Expo Merch, I got there about 2pm on Friday (about four hours after it opened I guess) and all of the Mens Kessel Run shirts were gone. All of them. There were a few Ladies left, but that was it. What were they thinking? They had to know that it would be a popular design shirt just because of the Falcon image, and that nearly all of the Kessel Run runners would want one.

Welcome to merch at a runDisney expo. Despite knowing exactly how many people registered for a given event, and what their sizing is, runDisney still fails to come up with a good way to accurately stock merchandise. No presales for the general merch, no buy at expo and we ship to you in a month, and maybe one or two pieces for sale online using the buy now, get it in 8-10 weeks method. For a company that does events that exist solely to sell merch, (Pin Events, Merch Events at DLR, etc) they can't seem to get these ones right.

I use the RunKeeper App on my iPhone 6. It recorded the runs this weekend to be 3.23 miles, 6.30 miles ad 13.30 miles. It seemed to add 0.1 miles for each 3 miles ran. Not sure if it is my phone, the course or the accuracy of the tracking in the app.

A bit of all the above. Courses are certified as an ideal point to point. That whole shortest distance between two points is a straight line thing. All of those distances are within what I would consider accurate tolerances. I usually think .1m/5k distance is fudge factor for GPS when I'm comparing. It's when I start to get results outside of that (or shorter) that I worry. You add on bits and pieces by weaving around other runners, veering to the side to get water/Gatorade, etc.

JasonDeyoung

Just got home last night after an awesome week at Disney. Guys how awesome was that race weekend?! This is now my fav race weekend, I ran the 10k and had the best time. Loved everything about the weekend.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Did anyone catch my son and I on the big screen interview before the 10k? We were the Titans fans John interviewed,

I did. And his joke was, well, a little lame. But then I'm a 49s/Rams fan, so I feel your pain.

How did you and your son do? I wasn't happy with my time. It was my first runDisney 10k and I was surprised at the number of walkers; I've done a runDisney 5k before and expected lots of walkers. And I'm not talking about the Imperial kind. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom