Walt Disney World 1966 - Vol. I

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster

"Here in Florida … we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland — the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." - Walt Disney

walt_epcotmap.jpg

Project Background
This post idea was originally inspired by a project originally created by @Sam4D23 in 2013 - It was originally a PM project, but this was such an amazing idea, I'd really hate for it to die unfinished. I'll also tag the original crew as well who was on this. @Voxel @Matt7187 @jdmdisney99 and @WED99

So in that respect, I'm bringing this project to the boards, for a new plan from scratch for less confusion on where the plans were left off, and a new perspective. We're gonna Keep Moving Forward and open new doors! :D

The original idea was as follows:

What we will be doing is taking WDW and completely re-designing it. All the parks, resorts, shopping centers, and transportation. The twist is that Epcot is constructed in it's 1966 form which means the entire resort is centered around the city

The only element that was required in the project is the EPCOT City plans from 1966. Everything else would be a clean slate of whatever we can imagine. This was also originally intended to be a seven month project, and I'd love to keep true to that and produce something great! :D

The Prompt

The year is 1966, Walt has recently passed away and all the land at Walt Disney World has been put in our hands by Roy. As a team, what do we do and where do we start? :D

WDW23_zps9ppwoj6e.png

Walt Disney World - Phase 1 (1966-1986)
Overview

Due Date for Phase 1 is December 25th, 2016 at 11:59 EST

Blue Sky Park Concepts

Adventureland Park
Essentially Disney SEA/Adventureland in a blender. Ideas can range from revamped Jungle Cruises, to Pirates, to Fire Mountain, S.E.A. based attractions, orginal attractions, and more. All themed around the concept of "Adventure"​

American Adventure Park
From the colonial era to the national parks, this park will be a symbol of the American frontier. Loosely based around the Virginia park Disney's America.​

Fantasyland Park
From mythology, to folklore, to dreamscapes, to Disney animated films - this Fantasyland will be mix of the Fantasyland you know today in the MK, combined with stuff such as Beastly Kingomme, original concepts, and more.

-- In Progress --
Tomorrowland Park
by @Voxel (and possibly @AimYourBrent )​

E.P.C.O.T. Blue Sky Concepts
- Map - we have a prototype map, but a detailed map would be good to agree on and keep everything organized
- Building Designs - this will be a skyscraper city, so what will they look like? Art/detail/design of the buildings and their locations
- The Hub - the center transportation center in the middle of the city for Monorail rapid transit and peoplemover transport to the suburbs. We also need descriptions of Bus, boat, taxi transportation services. Biking as well.
- Shopping/Dining District
- Financial District/Downtown
- Sports Complex/Sports Teams
- Hospitals/Medical Care/PD/Fire
- Parks/Rivers/Natural Environment descriptions.
- Schools, Colleges descriptions
- Recreation description
- Suburban living descriptions

and anything else that people would want - those are just the general stuff to get us started.​

-- In Progress --

World Center Boardwalk (Est. 1979)

Basically this is taking the concept of World Showcase, and making it into a permanent Worlds Fair outside of the parks...sort of like a newfound Disney Springs/Boardwalk combo.

Many pavilions have been completed and here are some that are still left if anyone wants to work on one: Australia, South Pacific, Canada, First Nations, and America.​

-- In Progress --

Resorts and Hotels

Our goal is to include 10 - 15 resorts by 1986, we have a few such as the Star Wars Resort (1983), and the Timber Peak Lodge (1972), among others, but if you have an idea for a concept - please feel free to share it!
List of Current Resorts:
1. Vacation Kingdom Resort (1971)
2. Star Wars Resort (1983)
3. Disney's Futaro Resort (1980)
4. Timber Peak Resort (1972)
10.​

Link to Walt Disney World 1966 Directory Post
(Where All Finished Plans are Posted)

Last edited:

Voxel

President of Progress City
"Here in Florida … we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland — the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." - Walt Disney

walt_epcotmap.jpg

This post idea was originally inspired by a project originally created by @Sam4D23 in 2013 - It was originally a PM project, but this was such an amazing idea, I'd really hate for it to die unfinished. I'll also tag the original crew as well who was on this. @Voxel @Matt7187 @jdmdisney99 and @WED99

So in that respect, I'm bringing this project to the boards, for a new plan from scratch for less confusion on where the plans were left off, and a new perspective. We're gonna Keep Moving Forward and open new doors! :D

The original idea was as follows:

The only element that was required in the project is the EPCOT City plans from 1966. Everything else would be a clean slate of whatever we can imagine. This was also originally intended to be a seven month project, and I'd love to keep true to that and produce something great! :D

So, without any further explanation...

The year is 1966, Walt has recently passed away and all the land at Walt Disney World has been put in our hands by Roy. As a team, what do we do and where do we start? :D

WDW23_zps9ppwoj6e.png
NUKE it!!!

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster

Attachments

• 1966revisedmap.png
    1966revisedmap.png
    406.4 KB · Views: 704
Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom