Marvel's Spider Man : Homecoming

doctornick

Rumors are saying they are looking to have a large multicultural cast supporting.

As they should. He goes to high school in Queens, right? Would think it would be pretty diverse.

I've seen it suggested that Zendaya could be cast as Felicia Hardy (Black Cat), which I think would be interesting. They are saying her character is named Michele, so it could be Michele Gonzales from the comics but she isn't part of Spider-Man's life until after high school. And I don't think they want to open themselves to criticism by casting a non-Hispanic actress to portray that role.

My gut is saying Liz Allan though. Hasn't really been in the films before and, although she's historically blond/white, her appearance has been changed in the past -- she looked like this in Spectacular Spider-Man:

1780485-liz21.png

Launchpad McQuack

If they were going with an established character, I could see Zendaya being Liz Allan. She's significant enough to warrant a place in a film but peripheral enough that there won't be much of an outcry with changing her physical characteristics (unlike Gwen Stacy or MJ Watson)

I agree. I'm not one who has ever been against "race swapping" for these roles, if the actor is right. For example, I actually think the best performances/characters in both the Daredevil movie and the Daredevil series came from the originally white character being played by the black actor (Kingpin in the movie, Ben Urich in the series).

I could go through a long list of the "race swapped" characters I enjoyed, going back to how much I wish Billy Dee Williams would've actually gotten to play Two-Face and not just Harvey Dent (no way it would've been any worse than the Tommy Lee Jones version).

However, for some reason, Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson have such iconic looks for me that I don't know if I'd like even their hair color being changed. The more I think about it, I'd probably be more ok with Gwen, especially since she's already been done "right" once, while Mary Jane has yet to have a very good portrayal (despite MJ being in the better movies).

doctornick

On the bad news front, Sony apparently isn't satisfied with having Spider-Man part of the MCU and having positive vibes from fans... so they've decided to pursue a Venon movie (and franchise?) unconnected to Spider-Man.

What could possibly go wrong?

Launchpad McQuack

On the bad news front, Sony apparently isn't satisfied with having Spider-Man part of the MCU and having positive vibes from fans... so they've decided to pursue a Venon movie (and franchise?) unconnected to Spider-Man.

What could possibly go wrong?

This isn't the first time, either. I remember back in the late 90s, there was talk of a Venom movie even before the first Spider-Man was made. I guess they thought Venom as an anti-hero was an easier nut to crack than Spider-Man. I guess they also figured it could be done cheaper and with less pressure than a full on Spider-Man movie (kind of like how Blade made it to the big screen before Spidey or X-Men).

However, in 2016, this is no longer the case. So many superheroes have been done (and done well) in movies that we expect big things. That's not to say anything bad about Blade. I love Blade 1-2. Having a Venom movie at this point with no connection to Spider-Man is just mind boggling. I understand a spinoff, but not a completely independent thing.

doctornick

Deadpool Effect. Everyone is looking for their R rated super hit.

I'm sure that plays a significant role, as does Sony's desire to have as many comic book films as they can (and not be tied to the MCU related films). But this idea just sounds so absurd and is destined to fail -- sure, Sony might be entranced by Deadpool's performance, but did they pay any attention to the dumpster fire that was Fant4stic?

Launchpad McQuack

Deadpool Effect. Everyone is looking for their R rated super hit.

The whole "we need to make some rated R stuff" thing is the exact lesson studios did not need to learn from Deadpool. What made Deadpool work work is that people who were passionate about the source material were able to make a movie that honored the source material with fairly low studio interference. That's the lesson studios should be learning, but instead it's going to be "Rated R!" "More jokes!" "Break the fourth wall!"

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/13/spider-man-reboot-title-homecoming

The new movie will be called Spider-Man: Homecoming -

It’s a reference to the high school event, but it also winks at how Spidey is returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as of next month’s Captain America: Civil War.

The notion of “Homecoming” also has some thematic resonance for the new, younger-than-ever Peter Parker. “Peter is trying to find his true identity and where he really belongs in this world,” Holland said.

Sony played a short teaser clip showing Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark visiting Peter and his Aunt May in his Queens apartment. “It’s so hard for me to believe that she’s someone’s aunt,” Tony said about May – a reference to the fact that the Homecoming version of Aunt May, Marisa Tomei, is a couple of decades younger than Rosemary Harris was in the first Spider-Man film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom