NASCAR 2016

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
start-your-engines.jpg

Here we go 2016! :D

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
Still haven't picked a new favorite driver since Gordon retired. I'm going to watch the 500 and see who I pull for.

Chase Elliot wins the Pole for the Daytona 500. Kenseth will start second.
There's a great picture of Chase sitting in his dad's car when he was little with his dad leaning on the window and the same recreated a few days ago with Chase in his own car. I wonder if Harvick's son will be a racer.

wdwfan4ver

Still haven't picked a new favorite driver since Gordon retired. I'm going to watch the 500 and see who I pull for.
I been there before for another driver. I had to deal with a pick a new driver back in 1993 when Alan Kulwicki died in an airplane crash on April Fool's Day. I usually have multiple drivers that I pull for. The first driver I pulled for after Alan's death was the late Dale Earnhardt Sr. after his 1993 Coca Cola 600. Dale was one of my favorite drivers that pulled at the same.

Alan's story of how he became the 1992 cup was how I decided to watch my first NASCAR race on Television with it being the 1993 Daytona 500. What Alan Accomplished in 1992 was something you expected out a storybook or from watching a movie due to Alan being an Underdog. Alan beaten huge odds to became the 1992 cup champion includes how points back Alan was 6 weeks to go and Alan's team that owned and drove for only has half the budget as the top teams in NASCAR did.

artvandelay

Good job by Denny Hamlin. Too many times in recent memory everyone stays in line until the last turn to try to pass and then jumps back in line. Hamlin timed it perfectly. Kyle Busch was asked why he didn't try it and he said Denny jumped out right before he was going to do it. Excellent job by Kenseth to keep his car off the wall and not bring out a caution that would of ended the race before they got to the finish line.

wdwfan4ver

There is a big shocker. Ford has announced that Stewart-Haas will be going to Ford in 2017 and they are going compete with Roush-Yates engines.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...tewart-haas-racing-switch-chevrolet-ford-2017

I don't understand this move outside of Ford offering more money. Chevy to me is a better a manufacturer than Ford for NASCAR. Stewart-Haas going to Ford is much Different than Furniture Row Racing going to Toyota. Stewart-Haas has an alliance with Hendrick Motorsports.

Furniture Row racing actually improved their organization by going to Toyota with a Joe Gibbs Racing alliance. The fact is Furniture Row racing was with Richard Childress and RCR wasn't the top Chevy organization.

This also affects the future of Junior Motorsports in the Truck series and in the Xfinity series because Cole Custer is a Stewart-Haas development driver. Stewart-Hass loaned Cole Custer to Jr. Motorsports because Jr. Motorsports is a Chevy Xfinity team.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

NASCAR Hall of Fame announced their 20 Nominees for the 2017 NASCAR Hall of Fame class and 5 Nominees for the 2017 Landmark award.

Here are the 20 Nominees for the 2017 NASCAR Hall of Fame:

• Ricky Rudd - 23 time cup winner, best known for 1984 Taped eyes to victory win at Richmond, won 1998 fall race at Martinsville in 95 degrees despite cooling system failing early in the race while getting burns and blisters most of the body as a result, 1997 Brickyard 400 winner, and 788 straight cup starts
  • Ken Squier- legendary Auto racing Broadcaster
  • Jack Roush - Current legendary cup owner
  • Waddell Wilson - Legendary Engine Builder and crew chiefof the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's with 3 cup championships as engine builder. His Engines are responsible for 106 cup wins including 6 Daytona 500 wins, and 123 poles including 4 straight Daytona 500 poles without restrictor plates
  • Ron Hornaday Jr. - 4 time Truck series champion
  • Buddy Baker - Legendary announcer and 19 time cup winner
  • Red Byron - First Nascar Modified Champion, and 1st cup championship before health problem forced him to retire early as a driver.
  • Richard Childress - current legendary owner
  • Ray Evernham - 3 time cup champion as a crew chief
  • Ray Fox- legendary 1950's and 1960's engine builder, car owner, NASCAR engine inspector in the 1990's.
  • Rick Hendrick - current cup owner
  • Harry Hyde - won 56 cup races as a crew chief, won 1970 cup championship as a crew chief, and responsible for Hendrick Motorsports being successful in its early years.
  • Alan Kulwicki - 1992 cup champion as a driver owner
  • Mark Martin - 40 time cup winner and 5 time runner up for cup championships.
  • Herschel McGriff- legendary west coast driver. 4 cup wins, 33 k& N pro west series wins, and oldest driver ever to win a NASCAR K & N Pro West Series championship at the age of 58 years old.
  • Raymond Parks- won NASCAR's first Modified championship as an owner, won NASCAR's first cup championship as owner, and responsible for helping Bill France Sr. keeping NASCAR from Folding back in the 1950's. Also one of the people in the meeting for starting NASCAR.
  • Benny Parsons-1973 cup champion, 21 cup wins including 1975 Daytona 500 and legendary television announcer for NASCAR races.
  • Larry Phillips- 5 time NASCAR National weekly champion, and 13 track championships
  • Mike Stefanik - 7 time NASCAR modified champion, 2 time NASCAR K&N East Champion
  • Robert Yates - 57 cup wins as owner, 1 cup championship as owner, and legendary engine builder before being a team owner.
The Nominees for the Landmark Award are:
  • Clay Earles- founder of Martinsville
  • Janet Guthrie - first women ever to run in the Daytona 500 and Indy 500. One of the most influential women in auto racing of all time.
  • Raymond Parks - Same person that is nominated on the NASCAR Hall of Fame Ballot.
  • Ralph Seagraves - While he promoted the Winston brand of cigarettes in sports, he actually was responsible for stuff like cup drivers getting more money racing for cup champions. He's also responsible for updating race tracks back in the 1970's and help team find sponsors, and saving race tracks from bankruptcy.
  • Ken Squier - He also is a NASCAR Hall of Fame Ballot Nominee.

artvandelay

There is a big shocker. Ford has announced that Stewart-Haas will be going to Ford in 2017 and they are going compete with Roush-Yates engines.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...tewart-haas-racing-switch-chevrolet-ford-2017

I don't understand this move outside of Ford offering more money. Chevy to me is a better a manufacturer than Ford for NASCAR. Stewart-Haas going to Ford is much Different than Furniture Row Racing going to Toyota. Stewart-Haas has an alliance with Hendrick Motorsports.

Furniture Row racing actually improved their organization by going to Toyota with a Joe Gibbs Racing alliance. The fact is Furniture Row racing was with Richard Childress and RCR wasn't the top Chevy organization.

This also affects the future of Junior Motorsports in the Truck series and in the Xfinity series because Cole Custer is a Stewart-Haas development driver. Stewart-Hass loaned Cole Custer to Jr. Motorsports because Jr. Motorsports is a Chevy Xfinity team.
Stewart-Haas better align with Penske. They're the only Ford team that has shown any speed.

Ford must of backed up the armored car to the SHR loading dock to get them to switch. Could this be part of a bigger thing? Ford working with Haas F1 team? Sponsorship of Tony's short tracks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom