The Spirited 11th Hour ...

ParentsOf4

$DIS has fallen 8.33% over the last year while the S&P has fallen 9.43%. But what do they say about statistics again?
Disney's stock price says nothing about statistics. However, it does say a lot about the market's propensity to overreact, both on the way up and on the way down. ;)

And remember, your retirement funds are in the hands of these "experts". :eek:

BrianLo

1st quarter financial results are in and there's great news for DLR and WDW fans.

Domestic Parks & Resort capital expenditures jumped upward from $239M in 1Q2015 to $627M in 1Q2016. With depreciation at $318M, real money is being spent domestically. :)

Disney previously reported that domestic capex was going to be up $800M for the year and it looks like they are wasting no time in spending it.

Question: can they "preload" forthcoming costs into a prior quarter? Mostly I ask as they specifically cite Disneyland being one of the contributors to higher costs. Nothing really happened at DL last quarter, all the ROA closures happened this quarter. Unless Rollickin' Roadsters was a real money sink.

WDW I certainly understand, Disney Springs and Pandora are both at their peak in construction expenses.

PhotoDave219

Well... someone just asked Bob if they would consider splitting the company.
EDIT: The split suggested would be
Company 1: Cable and Broadcast Television
(Think CapCities)
Company 2: Studios, Parks & Resorts and Consumer products

Basically, they're trying to get ESPN away from the company as a whole. Lovely.

I wanna digest this before I comment on it further....

BrianLo

Anything on Attendance?

No, I caught 3/4. You'd think the only thing the company did was cable and broadcast.

Also as per the split @the.dreamfinder mentioned, it was a pretty decisive no from Bob. I think it's incredibly short-sighted. One of Disney's strengths is its diversity. If one division slows down another is there to pick up the slack.

PhotoDave219

Spirited Musings (For the first time in 2016! ... Call all the Lifestylers!!! Someone let Dr. Blondie know!):

This one ain't going to make all the UNI Wand Wavers happy, but it IS reality. Recently, UNI has been surveying a select group of customers with the entire topic being MAGIC bands and MM+ at WDW. Now, we can all pretend they are curious as to what people like or dislike about being "part of the band" or we can look at this for what it is: UNI's great braintrust is considering implementing a similar system.

They are. Because when you are Disney you can do things that are as ridiculous as the spend on NGE and because of your size and share of the market, others (especially the No. 2) will pay attention to what you are doing.

UNI is very interested, btw, in whether you'd pay for the bands.

Not to be outdone, but WDW has been surveying APers for different reasons. Apparently, they have been hit hard by people not renewing APs following the recent restructuring of the program (with requisite insane price increases) and they want to know why. Possible responses even include honest reasons like "Disney costs too much" and "Disney is greedy" and "Not enough benefits" and "Not enough new things to see" ... not sure what the end game is, but this survey I did respond to. Yeah, I think the servers burned up with my answers.

Well, Flamingo Crossing Phase I is completed ... only nine years or so later ... and if you believe two of Marriott's budget suite brands to be of import then you are so happy for the genius of Bob Iger. I don't. And I am not.

Still waiting for the O-Sentinel or OBJ or O-Town TV, or even this site to report that the Buena Vista Palace was purchased by Hilton last fall and that Hilton is in the midst of a huge renovation and connecting of the resort to the existing Hilton at DD by that wonderful Disney constructed pedestrian bridge. In effect, Hilton will own the entrance to the new Disney Springs and with its Bonnet Creek resorts be the No. 2 hotel company (behind Disney) on property.

Saw The Hateful Eight. Liked it more than Star Wars. Not quite sure it was as good as The Peanuts Movie, though.

Speaking of films, the new live action version of The Jungle Book doesn't look good. It looks really, really good.

With the delay of Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters (is that the name?), I'm starting to wonder whether Disney will hold off and have a large media blogger whorefest to make a big summer deal of that opening, the new Soarin film and the Frozen musical because summer is when all those DL Star Wars construction closings are going to hit and hit hard.

I know there has been reporting about the new restructuring of what amounts to middle management at the WDW theme parks. From what I have been told, the idea is a solid one, but that the implementation as well as the manpower simply isn't there to make it successful. I am not sure, but here's the new MK management structure under MK VP (and future WDW king) Danny 'Lee's Boy' Cockerell:

These are the new roles with the individual's history with WDW and former position listed:

Frontierland GM, Steve Schreiber 15+

GM All Star Resorts;

GM Main Street and Arrivals, Tim Sypko 20+

GM MK Park Operations;

Entertainment GM, Rachel Quinn 15+

GM MK Entertainment;

Engineering GM, Don Weschler 30+

Dir MK Engineering Services;

Adventureland Liberty Square GM, Ann Williams 35+

GM Studios F&B;

Fantasyland GM, Donald Brannon 20+

GM MK Merchandise;

Tomorrowland GM, Debbie Hart 20+

Dir Experience Services and Guest Communications.

I can't really comment on these individuals as most of them I have never crossed paths with. If any of you have experience with anyone here, please feel free to offer comments.

So, the EPCOT Spring Food and Wine Fest is running for three entire months (March, April, May). Not shocked. Are they offering a free day for the local blogging whores to come in and eat and drink for free?

Couple thoughts.....

First on the APs? I let mine lapse - I would have renewed it (as I still have family there) but the blackout dates for the midrange one (what i currently had, a plane Four Park AP) and the cost of the premium/no blackout date one was simply not justifiable anymore. Yes, Disney has become greedy and yes, Disney is too expensive. This was the deal-breaker.

..... besides, wasn't this their way to weed out the number of APs? SO why are they complaining now? Or did the wrong people not get weeded out?

I enjoyed The H8teful Eight. Thought Sam Jackson deserved a best supporting nod. Not Quentin's best but I enjoyed it... in glorious 70mm, with an overture and an intermission.

Comic Book films? I could give a toss about Captain America. I'm already bored by Superman V Batman. More of a threesome with Wonder Woman if you look at the posters. Only comic book film I'm looking forward to is Deadpool because I was a fan when he came out originally and he's a wisecracking, R-Rated character that constantly breaks the fourth wall and doesn't take himself seriously.

As for MK reshuffling? Lots of longtime vets there - not much new blood to shift the existing culture. I'll give it the "wait and see" but I am not optimistic.

HMF

Well... someone just asked Bob if they would consider splitting the company.
EDIT: The split suggested would be
Company 1: Cable and Broadcast Television
(Think CapCities)
Company 2: Studios, Parks & Resorts and Consumer products
How I wish that would happen.

Mike S

@WDW1974 Yes, Uni is looking into MagicBand type system. But, from what I'm hearing, there will be no FP+ type of offering. Just the Express Pass system they have today. And they want it up and running by the time Volcano Bay opens.
I would like plastic tickets. Also whatever system they have now for some reason hasn't worked with my fingerprint ever since I renewed last year. Have to show them my ID every time. Some kind of update would be nice.

TalkingHead

Not to be outdone, but WDW has been surveying APers for different reasons. Apparently, they have been hit hard by people not renewing APs following the recent restructuring of the program (with requisite insane price increases) and they want to know why. Possible responses even include honest reasons like "Disney costs too much" and "Disney is greedy" and "Not enough benefits" and "Not enough new things to see" ... not sure what the end game is, but this survey I did respond to. Yeah, I think the servers burned up with my answers.

Interesting. It's many years since I owned an AP, but I'm only now contemplating purchasing the midrange Florida-resident APs, because they include parking and we don't have any need to go during Spring Break, summer, or Christmas. The weekday pass is a better deal and it includes parking, too.

But beyond those (and barring the Florida resident discount), I wouldn't remotely consider an AP. We've let our UNI APs lapse; maybe we'll repurchase after Kong opens.

I realize hype and excitement is a big part of the theme park community, but after Gringotts, I've lowered my expectations of Kong. The way some Universal fans are salivating over the ride, they're going to be disappointed if it's not the greatest ride ever built. I hope it is, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Cesar R M

I was the culinary lead of a high volume restaurant and the new area manager made some really questionable decisions:
yikes.. I feel for you.
This reminds me when I was hired to manage a kitchen as head chef.
I was fresh from culinary school.
And they made a kid (1 year older than me) who used to be a barman.. to manage the entire restaurant.
He RUINED EVERYTHING and made horrible decisions on the kitchen.. I quit instantly when he started to have power issue problems..
All the cooks quit after a month and the restaurant went bankrupt 3 months after.

I mean.. who the hell puts the preparation table 10 meters away from the hot kitchen area (the grill, and all other hot areas) ??
he seems like he wanted us to juggle the food for 10 meters to then put the prepared condiments and parts into the pans.

PhotoDave219

No, I caught 3/4. You'd think the only thing the company did was cable and broadcast.

Also as per the split @the.dreamfinder mentioned, it was a pretty decisive no from Bob. I think it's incredibly short-sighted. One of Disney's strengths is its diversity. If one division slows down another is there to pick up the slack.

Thats the way it usually is on the conference calls. Financial analysts haven't a clue about theme parks beyond the balance sheet.

The only problem with ESPN is the bad contracts; its like the Phillies were signing all these sports leagues to long-term, overpaid deals. ESPN's revenue will grow, its just that it wont grow AS MUCH from subscribers... which is its prime source of revenue.

Cesar R M

Spirited Musings (For the first time in 2016! ... Call all the Lifestylers!!! Someone let Dr. Blondie know!):

This one ain't going to make all the UNI Wand Wavers happy, but it IS reality. Recently, UNI has been surveying a select group of customers with the entire topic being MAGIC bands and MM+ at WDW. Now, we can all pretend they are curious as to what people like or dislike about being "part of the band" or we can look at this for what it is: UNI's great braintrust is considering implementing a similar system.

They are. Because when you are Disney you can do things that are as ridiculous as the spend on NGE and because of your size and share of the market, others (especially the No. 2) will pay attention to what you are doing.

UNI is very interested, btw, in whether you'd pay for the bands.

Well, Flamingo Crossing Phase I is completed ... only nine years or so later ... and if you believe two of Marriott's budget suite brands to be of import then you are so happy for the genius of Bob Iger. I don't. And I am not.

Still waiting for the O-Sentinel or OBJ or O-Town TV, or even this site to report that the Buena Vista Palace was purchased by Hilton last fall and that Hilton is in the midst of a huge renovation and connecting of the resort to the existing Hilton at DD by that wonderful Disney constructed pedestrian bridge. In effect, Hilton will own the entrance to the new Disney Springs and with its Bonnet Creek resorts be the No. 2 hotel company (behind Disney) on property.

Saw The Hateful Eight. Liked it more than Star Wars. Not quite sure it was as good as The Peanuts Movie, though.

Speaking of films, the new live action version of The Jungle Book doesn't look good. It looks really, really good.

With the delay of Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters (is that the name?), I'm starting to wonder whether Disney will hold off and have a large media blogger whorefest to make a big summer deal of that opening, the new Soarin film and the Frozen musical because summer is when all those DL Star Wars construction closings are going to hit and hit hard.

I know there has been reporting about the new restructuring of what amounts to middle management at the WDW theme parks. From what I have been told, the idea is a solid one, but that the implementation as well as the manpower simply isn't there to make it successful. I am not sure, but here's the new MK management structure under MK VP (and future WDW king) Danny 'Lee's Boy' Cockerell:

These are the new roles with the individual's history with WDW and former position listed:

Frontierland GM, Steve Schreiber 15+

GM All Star Resorts;

GM Main Street and Arrivals, Tim Sypko 20+

GM MK Park Operations;

Entertainment GM, Rachel Quinn 15+

GM MK Entertainment;

Engineering GM, Don Weschler 30+

Dir MK Engineering Services;

Adventureland Liberty Square GM, Ann Williams 35+

GM Studios F&B;

Fantasyland GM, Donald Brannon 20+

GM MK Merchandise;

Tomorrowland GM, Debbie Hart 20+

Dir Experience Services and Guest Communications.

I can't really comment on these individuals as most of them I have never crossed paths with. If any of you have experience with anyone here, please feel free to offer comments.

So, the EPCOT Spring Food and Wine Fest is running for three entire months (March, April, May). Not shocked. Are they offering a free day for the local blogging whores to come in and eat and drink for free?
I just hope they just get rid of the darn paper tickets for Universal.
It was not amused to take extra care for the 3 days we were there.. because paper degrades.. and the readers arent that good.

Cesar R M

Basically, they're trying to get ESPN away from the company as a whole. Lovely.

I wanna digest this before I comment on it further....
Better take a pepto before going right into it dave. Theres some taco bell quality maneouver there.

Some news that went under the radar thanks to the Q1 results, Frozen will be coming to Broadway Spring 2018.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disneys-frozen-musical-thaw-broadway-863102
They are really going to milk it to the end.. ..:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom