The Sole Imagineer Season 2: Redemption Island

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 2 Immunity Challenge
Downtown Do-over

Once again, immunity is back up for grabs.

Downtown Disney 35b.jpg

For this challenge, castaways will be taking a look at the Disneyland Resort's Downtown Disney. Compared to other versions of the complex around the globe, the Disneyland Resort's take on Downtown Disney is considered subpar by many fans. So, the task for this challenge?

Castaways must completely redesign Downtown Disney at the Disneyland Resort. You must pick a backstory and create a new complex centered around it. In addition, you are only permitted to keep 5 retailers/dining locations that are currently in the complex, so choose wisely. But keep in mind that all of these locations must be refilled in the new complex, meaning that there are the same number or more locations after the redo. Finally, you may change the layout of the complex however you'd like.

You may use no more than 15 images and must have at least 5 sentences. Episode 2 Immunity Challenge is due Friday, January 22nd at 6:00 PM EST.

Imagineers Ready? GO!

IAmNotAHufflepuff

Episode 2 Immunity Challenge
Downtown Do-over

Once again, immunity is back up for grabs.

View attachment 126587

For this challenge, castaways will be taking a look at the Disneyland Resort's Downtown Disney. Compared to other versions of the complex around the globe, the Disneyland Resort's take on Downtown Disney is considered subpar by many fans. So, the task for this challenge?

Castaways must completely redesign Downtown Disney at the Disneyland Resort. You must pick a backstory and create a new complex centered around it. In addition, you are only permitted to keep 5 retailers/dining locations that are currently in the complex, so choose wisely. But keep in mind that all of these locations must be refilled in the new complex, meaning that there are the same number or more locations after the redo. Finally, you may change the layout of the complex however you'd like.

You may use no more than 15 images and must have at least 5 sentences. Episode 2 Immunity Challenge is due Friday, January 22nd at 6:00 PM EST.

Imagineers Ready? GO!

How ironic. I'm going to Disney Springs the same day this challenge is announced. :D

Sam Magic

Just to clarify, @DSquared and @Brer Panther will not play in a Redemption Duel this episode because @DisneyPrincess1993 has left the competition. They will stay alive on Redemption Island and play in a Redemption Duel in Episode 3.
I'm going to sound a bit up front, but sense we won and lost a tribe member will we have some type of advantage or perk of sorts this week?

RMichael21

Original Poster
I'm going to sound a bit up front, but sense we won and lost a tribe member will we have some type of advantage or perk of sorts this week?
No, unfortunately not. The whole point of the game is that you roll with the punches, and DP leaving the game is something you have to try and work around. ;)

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 2 Project Veto Challenge
Downtown Déja-Vu

Welcome to your second project veto challenge!

4023453396_13cd9c54ff_b.jpg

For this challenge, it's another downtown do-over! However, this time, castaways must briefly describe how they would redo Disney Village at Disneyland Paris.

The following contestants are not eligible for Project Vetoes:
@Brer Panther
@DSquared

Episode 2 Project Veto Challenge is due Thursday, January 21st at 6:45 PM EST. You may use no more than 5 sentences and 1 image. You must submit your concept in your designated Project Veto PM.

TheOriginalTiki

Episode 2 Immunity Challenge: Downtown Do-Over
2qmexpj.png

Disney's Boomtown!

For this challenge, we at the Blairozah tribe were asked to come up with a complete top to bottom do over of Downtown Disney at the Disneyland Resort. By far the most challenging part of the prompt was coming up with the backstory that was asked for by our gracious Jeff Probst impersonator.

After floating around many different ideas for centering the theme around different real California towns, we decided to go with the idea of a fictionalized town affected by the Gold Rush and how it's affected by modern day sensibilities. The theme of the Gold Rush is something that's surprisingly glossed over in California Adventure, with only a passing mention along historical plaques of the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail to show for its existence among the state's history.

Disney's Boomtown hopes to bring the age of the gold rush to a modern context in an ambitious new way as the most detailed and thematic "Downtown Disney" type area ever designed.

12509281_1037297169642778_2215276744916930977_n.jpg

Backstory
The fictional town of Carmel Canyon, California was once a small mining community that literally struck gold as one of the biggest hot spots during the California Gold Rush in the Southern region of the state.

A huge economic boom hit the town and what was once a very small and desolate area became ripe with development and expansion. Disney's Boomtown is an idealized version of an old west mining town, with a modern twist of being surrounded by urban development.

Historical mines and oil rigs will visually go hand in hand with an urbanized hip downtown environment to create a unique flowing atmosphere filled with hidden Disney touches and treasures. The shopping and dining establishments located within Disney's Boomtown will all take on a centralized theme and ascetic approach.

The sides of the Grand Californian Hotel will be painted over in a layer resembling the Spanish Pueblo style. A forced perspective "canyon" wall showbuilding complete with mine carts and tunnels will be constructed on the west side of the area to give Disney's Boomtown a complete sense of immersion into the theme and storyline.

Keeping in line with the project requirements, we kept the same amount of retailers at 38, with upgraded experiences while keeping realistic. This list includes:
Restaurants
  • Adventurer's Club
  • Ben and Jerry's
  • Boom Asian Fusion
  • Boom Asian Fusion Outdoor Bar
  • Boomtown Putt Putt Ice Cream
  • Comida Comoda
  • Golden Nugget Candy Corner and Soda Shop
  • Naples Ristorante e Pizzeria
  • Pacific Coast Bakery
  • Senor Martes
  • Starbucks Coffee
  • Sundance Sandwich Shoppe
  • The Wine Cellar
  • "The Winery" by The Wine Cellar
  • T-Rex Cafe
Retail
  • AMC Theater
  • Arribas brothers
  • Art of Shaving
  • Barnes & Nobles
  • Boomtown Putt Putt Mini Golf
  • Carmel Canyon T-Shirt Exposition
  • Chaple Hats
  • Cirque du Sundance
  • Cirque du Sundance Boutique
  • Disney's Character Workshop
  • Disney's Pin Traders
  • Fit2Run
  • Gamestop
  • Gold Touch Jewelers
  • Movie Magic Memorabilia
  • Munson's Chocolates
  • PacSun
  • Pandora
  • Silver Springs Marketplace
  • Solstice Sunglasses
  • The Miners' Curios
  • Uncle Grizzly's Toy Chest
  • World of Disney

Now, for a look at how all of these new additions/replacements will fit into place in the current Downtown Disney, we invite you to explore our interactive map by clicking this link!

All in all, with the new theme, story, and thought that all went into this new shopping district, Disney's Boomtown is undoubtedly the best and most "Disney feeling" of the Downtown Disney districts around the globe. Thanks for reading, y'all come back real soon now! ;)

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Lassetoki_zpsweg0tf5c.png

In the early 1960s, Imagineers were hard at work building Walt Disney's Mystic Historical District of Disneyland, a new prototype community for all ages to live and discover. With a Disney touch, this was supposed to be a "test phase" for an early living community sponsored by Disney, only admitted exclusively for Club 33 members. This area included clubs, shopping, restaurants and entertainment.

However, during construction of the Mystic Historical District of Disneyland, an idol was stolen from the Jungle Cruise and construction was abandoned for decades because people thought the land was cursed. However, recently, the idol has been returned, but the concept of Mystic Historical District for Disneyland has long past and the jungles of Adventureland have consumed it.

Nevertheless, the Mystic Historical District would serve as inspiration for the creation of a new Disney "attraction." Based on the original plan of designing a prototype community, a modern contemporary "city" was built in conjunction with the Mystic Historical District. The community would be called Disney Commons - providing shopping, dining, and entertainment to people of all ages at the Disneyland Resort. The Disney Commons has all the amenities and areas you would find in an American city with a distinct Disney flare. Shop till you drop on Disney Avenue, catch a movie in the Theater District, gaze at the wonders of Chinatown, dine in the elegant Little Italy, show your athletic prowess at the Sports District, or explore the treasures within the Mystic Historical District.

It's all waiting for you at the Disney Commons....see you there!

http://lassetoki.wix.com/downtownchallenge2

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 2 Immunity Challenge: Downtown Do-Over
Critiques

Fantastic concepts this week to both of our tribes! Let's see how you did...

Blairozah
@IDInstitute, @JokersWild, @TheOriginalTiki, @IAmNotAHufflepuff, @Matt7817, @Perry2x2 and @englanddg

Amazing proposal this week guys! Let's go through your post and pick it apart. While the idea of a gold rush is unique, I'm just not a fan of it as a entertainment district. You had some FANTASTIC ideas in the beginning, such as theming it to Sacramento or that one town that I forget the name of :p. Also, it seems that the idea of a western gold rush town would conflict somewhat with Frontierland. While the Gold Rush is a good idea for a theme park land, it doesn't fit as well with what Downtown Disney is IMO. However, with that aside, I'll try to critique based on what you do have. You guys had a very nice backstory, it fit VERY nicely. Also, PERFECT map. Absolutely A+ when it comes to an interactive map. It was a VERY nice visual. However, something that I would have liked to see you play around with was the actual layout of the area instead of just re-skinning pre-existing buildings. Also, there were MANY choices of retailers that made me go "What?". Several of your options don't fit with your Boomtown theme AT ALL, and even if you did have them themed, you never explained how from my understanding. These oddball stores include Pandora, the hat store, the asian restaurant, Gamestop, Disney Character Workshop, etc. I get your trying to bring the idea of a gold rush town into the 21st century, but that doesn't work very well, IMO and the ideas clash. But seriously, very few of your offerings matched your theme which I'd say is the biggest flaw here.

Lassetoki
@tcool123, @MonorailRed, @spacemt354, @Flippin'Flounder, @Ranky64 and @Sam4D23

Great concept Lassetoki! Let's pick it apart... First of all, great introduction in the forum post, it really set the scene. However, with the backstory, the idol/Jungle cruise thing seems a little out of place with the whole city idea that your going for. But, I do LOVE the name Disney Commons. It really reflects a place of retreat and relaxation away from the parks. I liked the map as well, it was very well made, but I wish you had put a key on the same page so I could through and see what was what without going back and forth between pages. One con of this proposal, the ad screen. Honestly, the idea of a commons place as a focal point is great, but a massive ad screen is cringe-worthy, honestly. In addition, I like the idea of districts in general, each one would have such a distinct and unique atmosphere. However, I feel like you could have picked a more unified theme for Disney Avenue, it felt like a place where you'd put all the stuff that didn't fit anywhere else. I liked the Historical District, but it honestly felt out of place compared to other places that can be found in actual cities. It kind of clashes with the rest of the area IMO. I LOVED the theater district, as a huge theater nerd, I found it very enjoyable. But, while Mulan is a great choice for a musical, I feel like you could have picked a more popular IP that would have drawn in more people. I really had no problems with Chinatown or Little Italy or the Sports District, they were both great. However, I would have liked to see more retail options (and dining options as well) Chinatown. Oh, I seem to have forgotten about the website. I liked it, but the way the images are set up, they cover the text, leaving me unable to read most of the descriptions.​

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 2 Imagineer's Council
Results

@Perry2x2

1 Vote @englanddg and 1 Vote @Perry2x2

@englanddg

2 Votes @englanddg and 1 Vote @Perry2x2

@Perry2x2

2 Votes @englanddg and 2 Votes @Perry2x2

@englanddg

3 Votes @englanddg and 1 Vote @Perry2x2

@englanddg

4 Votes @englanddg and 1 Vote @Perry2x2

@englanddg, the tribe has spoken.

You will be sent to Redemption Island where you will receive a shot at Redemption in the next episode.
latest

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 3
Shanghai Storytelling

2A8BA26C00000578-3162630-image-a-46_1436976922786.jpg

Welcome to the Shanghai Disney Resort, the site for the newest episode of The Sole Imagineer Season 2: Redemption Island! However, we won't be taking the traditional Blue-sky route just yet. We'll be returning to the key to quality theme park entertainment: a good story. For this reason, we'll be applying our storytelling techniques to the Shanghai Disney Resort.

This episode will consist of:
- Redemption Duel
- Immunity Challenge
- Project Veto Challenge

Imagineers Ready? GO!

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 3 Redemption Duel
Stories For A Shanghai Hotel

Welcome to this season's very first Redemption Duel!

SHDRHotelDLRender097832.jpg

Now introducing the players at this Redemption Duel:
@DSquared
@Brer Panther

and...
@englanddg, voted out at the last Imagineer's Council.

For this challenge, these three castaways (and no one else) will design a backstory the highly anticipated Shanghai Disneyland Hotel. Not much is known about this hotel, but we do know that it will be similar to the Grand Floridian in pricing and level (i.e. deluxe). In addition, castaways must describe how that backstory will be applied in places throughout the hotel such as rooms, restaurants, shops and the lobby.

Episode 3 Redemption Duel is due in this thread by Sunday, January 24th at 6:00 PM EST. You may use whatever medium you choose and can have unlimited text, but may use no more than 15 images.

Imagineers Ready? GO!

Last edited:

RMichael21

Original Poster
Episode 3 Redemption Duel
Stories For A Shanghai Hotel

Welcome to this season's very first Redemption Duel!

View attachment 127540

Now introducing the players at this Redemption Duel:
@DSquared
@Brer Panther

and...
@englanddg, voted out at the last Imagineer's Council.

For this challenge, these three castaways (and no one else) will design a backstory the highly anticipated Shanghai Disneyland Hotel. Not much is known about this hotel, but we do know that it will be similar to the Grand Floridian in pricing and level (i.e. deluxe). In addition, castaways must describe how that backstory will be applied in places throughout the hotel such as rooms, restaurants, shops and the lobby.

Episode 3 Redemption Duel is due in this thread by Sunday, January 24th at 6:00 PM EST. You may use whatever medium you choose and can have unlimited text, but may use no more than 15 images.

Imagineers Ready? GO!
In addition, something that I forgot to include is that this duel will be a DOUBLE ELIMINATION. That means out of @Brer Panther, @DSquared and @englanddg, only 1 will remain on Redemption Island after the duel is over.

DSquared

Episode 3 Redemption Duel:

shdrhoteldlrender097832-jpg.127540

Shanghai Disneyland Resort will open Summer 2016, and along with it will come 2 hotels. One is themed to Toy Story, but one is entirely different in it's own, Shanghai Disneyland Hotel.

Much is know about what will be in the new hotel, but not much is known about what things will look like, or what the story of the hotel will be. All great experiences must have a deep story that immerses the guest and keeps them wanting more.

My idea for the backstory of Shanghai Disneyland Hotel would be as follows:

Shanghai Disneyland Hotel will be the flagship hotel of Shanghai Disneyland Resort. That said, the hotel should focus on the driving force in all Disney resort experiences... fantasy. Shanghai Disneyland Hotel will invite guests to celebrate the most famous fantasies of East Asia, and all around the world. And what better fantasies are there than Disney classics? The new hotel will immerse guests in the most fantastical, magical, and famous tales as told by Disney, with twist of Chinese culture too.

Here is everything confirmed for the new hotel:
https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com/en/hotels/shanghai-disneyland-hotel/

It's not much, but I still have some ideas on how to tie it all back to the story of fantasy and culture.

Aurora's

This flagship restaurant appears to be a nice mix between Asian culture, and Disney's Sleeping Beauty (hence the restaurant's name). Here's how I would go about doing this:

The look of a truly immersive environment is everything. To combine the two previously mentioned aspects, an interesting feature would be a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story across the walls in the style of traditional Chinese paintings. This would bring the two elements together, and make the restaurant unique and fun to look at. It would also be unique in the sense of having this style of art in a 'Royal Banquet' setting.

th

Bacchus Lounge:

shdr-dine-bacchus-lounge-hero.jpg

Bacchus Lounge is something that can't have much more added to it, since the photo above from Disney show the completed restaurant. The restaurant is a lounge like (meaning serving snacks and wine) restaurant themed to the Greek god portions of Fantasia, and in turn combines Asian design with Greek artwork.

Ballet Cafe:

shdr-dine-ballet-cafe-hero.jpg

Ballet Cafe is a perfect example of the stories of fantasy and culture intertwining. Themed to Dance of the Hours from Fantasia, the snack based food corner has the atmosphere of both traditional China, and fantastical stories. There is not much that could make this any better serving to fantasy elements from what we know so far.

Luminere's Kitchen:

shdr-dine-lumieres-kitchen-hero.jpg

From this photo, the restaurant doesn't seem to embody the element of Asian culture besides the international menu. But with the Beauty and the Beast characters involved, the restaurant seems like an immersive fantasy experiences, and an answer to the success of Be Our Guest in Orlando.

Magic Kingdom Suite:

This will be the 'Presidential Suite' of the hotel, and will embody both the whimsy of the nearby park, and the traditional Chines culture that is littered throughout the entire resort. By the looks of the amenities list, it seems like it will solely focus on the fantasy element, but it can be assumed that it will follow some Chinese traditional design, similar to some of the other restaurants.

Sorcerer Suite & Fantasia Suite:

These two suites will both be based of off Disney's Fantasia, and will perfectly embody fantasy just through designs. Not much else can be said. Attaching Fantasia to something instantly makes it in with the fantasy.

Hakuna Matata Oasis:

This Lion King themed water play area will immerse guests in the story of the Lion King with interactive games and such that lets the guest use their imagination to be soaked up in the fantasy of talking animals as seen in the Lion King. Also, like Mickey Mouse Playhouse, the interactive experiences will invite children to use their imagination and create a fantasy of their own

King Triton's Pool:

This pool themed to the undersea kingdom of the Little Mermaid. The numerous character interactions throughout the day will immerse guests in the world of the Little Mermaid, and will invite guests to celebrate the fantasy of the world.

Mickey Mouse Playhouse:

The interactive kid's center will ask kids to use their imaginations and have fun with the fantasy that has been affiliated with Mickey Mouse since the very beginning.

Overall, the story of celebrating fantasy and culture at Shanghai Disneyland Hotel is seen throughout the entire complex and is a perfect compliment to the park right outside the window.

Brer Panther

Honestly, I think I'm going to bail.

I just don't think I'm cut out for Imagineering Competitions. It seems like I'm always forgetting when my projects are due and having to get them done at the last minute, and if the project involves something I know very little about (I can't design a hotel to save my life!), it'll just turn out poorly. Sorry, guys, but I'm heading out. Thanks for the opportunity, and I'm sure @englanddg's submission will be really good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom