Car brand loyalty.

R W B

I wouldn't say I'm brand loyal but I will say when it comes to sports cars, I'm a GM guy 100%. I respect other sports cars but I'm a Vette guy! With that said, I really like Ford trucks but when it comes to trucks I have and will buy any brand as long as the deal is good, except Toyota, the Titan never peaked my interest. the new one with the cummins diesel ha though but my next trick with either be a Platinum F250 or a Larame Megacab Ram. Chevy/GMC cost too much lol.

Could you kindly provide the data and/or source to substantiate the profit assertion? I'd like to see/read it.
Google it. GM paid it back with interest. shouldn't be hard to find.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't think I have any real loyalty to a brand, but like @Master Yoda I won't buy a few brands(VW, Nissan, Jeep). I have had 3 straight Toyotas, my wife back to back Venzas 2010 and 2013, and I have a 2014 Tacoma SR5 now, which I LOVE. I loved the Venzas too actually, I am surprised they discontinued them.

My Wife's 13 Venza lease just came up and we made the switch to the 2016 Chevy Equinox. We have only had it for 3 days, but so far, so good.

SeanWM48

Been a Dodge/Ram guy my whole life. Used to have a Durango back in the day, eventually traded it towards a Ram 1500 with the hemi in 2011. Driven daily ever since. Would love to own the SRT Challenger someday as a second ride if i play my cards right

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Been a Dodge/Ram guy my whole life. Used to have a Durango back in the day, eventually traded it towards a Ram 1500 with the hemi in 2011. Driven daily ever since. Would love to own the SRT Challenger someday as a second ride if i play my cards right
I have been on the edge of getting a Challenger for my next car in 2017. My main reservation is the thing weighs too much. I have been dealing the with the challenges of heavy cars and would like to take a whirl at good power to weight ration that does not require having to produce 500 hp. I also would like to avoid having to stop at a gas station to fill up every 1/2 hour.;)

For that reason, the Ford Focus RS is looking mighty attractive.

SeanWM48

I have been on the edge of getting a Challenger for my next car in 2017. My main reservation is the thing weighs too much. I have been dealing the with the challenges of heavy cars and would like to take a whirl at good power to weight ration that does not require having to produce 500 hp. I also would like to avoid having to stop at a gas station to fill up every 1/2 hour.;)

it's all about what you want. to me it's a big expensive toy. and yes the weight is a factor, i would not go for anything less than the SRT level (or a Hellcat if you really have $$ to burn)

Personally I find a smaller car like a focus underwhelming but like i said earlier this is basically me dreaming at the moment, this would be a second ride while still driving my truck so it won't be until later in life

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
it's all about what you want. to me it's a big expensive toy. and yes the weight is a factor, i would not go for anything less than the SRT level (or a Hellcat if you really have $$ to burn)

Personally I find a smaller car like a focus underwhelming but like i said earlier this is basically me dreaming at the moment, this would be a second ride while still driving my truck so it won't be until later in life
This will be my daily driver so I do have to take that into account. I want something fast and nimble with a warranty that I can still pick up kids from school in. The super hatches seem to fit that bill nicely. I despise VW so they are out and since have no desire to have to raise up an engine just to change spark plugs, Subaru is also out. That leaves me with Ford for good off the lot performance.

Thankfully I have a little more that a year to wait before I pull the trigger so I can see how the Focus RS measures up to the Focus ST. I have little doubt the RS will be better, but I am not sure it if will be $10k better.

71dsp

Google it. GM paid it back with interest. shouldn't be hard to find.

I thought I remembered all of the articles, and I recalled that the GM bailout was a net loss (a large one at that). I did Google it, and even the link provided above states that the GM bailout was a large net loss. When I mentioned the bailout, I specifically mentioned GM, so when the reply was around the "subsequent repayment and profit to the American taxpayer," I read that as only applying to GM.

Regardless, I'm a big GM fan. We've owned an 05 Tahoe Z71, 10 2500 LTZ diesel, and currently own a 13 3500 Denali diesel dually. All were (are) excellent trucks. We'll continue to buy GM products as long as they continue to improve like they have.

I wouldn't say I'm brand loyal but I will say when it comes to sports cars, I'm a GM guy 100%. I respect other sports cars but I'm a Vette guy! With that said, I really like Ford trucks but when it comes to trucks I have and will buy any brand as long as the deal is good, except Toyota, the Titan never peaked my interest. the new one with the cummins diesel ha though but my next trick with either be a Platinum F250 or a Larame Megacab Ram. Chevy/GMC cost too much lol.

I am extremely surprised at how well our 13 dually has held it's value. We got a great price on it (nearly $12k off sticker), and over the past 3 years, it has depreciated a little under $5k compared to what we paid for trade-in value, but we hardly have any miles on it. If you wait and get a great price, they're not too bad, but the diesel option certainly adds some heft to the price tag.

If you're not dead set on a full size, the new diesel Canyon looks promising, IMO. I bet they'll have a Denali trim level in the very near future. It's an I4, but does have a 7,600 lb tow rating with 29 MPG highway unloaded (or so I've been told on the diesel - the ratings are not online, but I'd believe it if the V6 gasser is getting 24 MPG highway). Not bad!

Saw the Focus RS at the autoshow. I LOVE it! However, the GT350 really has my attention. They did so much right with that car, and I'm far from a Mustang fan. I'm trying to talk the wife into getting a GT350 for the weekend car while keeping my track car. :)

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, the C7 Z06 is an awesome bang for the buck, and LG Motorsports seems to have a good handle on the overheating issues plaguing that car on track.

Last edited:

R W B

Since you're looking at the Challenger, have you looked into the redesigned 2016 Camaro? It went on a diet and lost about 2-300lbs and gain some power. Also went down in overall size too which coupled with the weight loss really helps the handling.

The only way you'd get me to buy a hatch would be if that was literally the only style available on the planet lol.

I thought I remembered all of the articles, and I recalled that the GM bailout was a net loss (a large one at that). I did Google it, and even the link provided above states that the GM bailout was a large net loss. When I mentioned the bailout, I specifically mentioned GM, so when the reply was around the "subsequent repayment and profit to the American taxpayer," I read that as only applying to GM.

Regardless, I'm a big GM fan. We've owned an 05 Tahoe Z71, 10 2500 LTZ diesel, and currently own a 13 3500 Denali diesel dually. All were (are) excellent trucks. We'll continue to buy GM products as long as they continue to improve like they have.

I am extremely surprised at how well our 13 dually has held it's value. We got a great price on it (nearly $12k off sticker), and over the past 3 years, it has depreciated a little under $5k compared to what we paid for trade-in value, but we hardly have any miles on it. If you wait and get a great price, they're not too bad, but the diesel option certainly adds some heft to the price tag.

If you're not dead set on a full size, the new diesel Canyon looks promising, IMO. I bet they'll have a Denali trim level in the very near future. It's an I4, but does have a 7,600 lb tow rating with 29 MPG highway unloaded (or so I've been told on the diesel - the ratings are not online, but I'd believe it if the V6 gasser is getting 24 MPG highway). Not bad!

Saw the Focus RS at the autoshow. I LOVE it! However, the GT350 really has my attention. They did so much right with that car, and I'm far from a Mustang fan. I'm trying to talk the wife into getting a GT350 for the weekend car while keeping my track car. :)

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, the C7 Z06 is an awesome bang for the buck, and LG Motorsports seems to have a good handle on the overheating issues plaguing that car on track.

I know I watched on one of the big shows (CNN/MSNBC/FOX) on how GM paid it back with interest and early too. I just assumed it could be found online easily, guess I was wrong.

I'm a GM fan also, favorite car I've owned was my '02 Formula. Such a fun car! Just raw power. I also had a '06 Sierra 4dr 4x4 and it handled itself pretty nicely off road. Never had an issue with it.

The new canyon is a good truck but I can't do a mid-size, just my mentality. It's not the greatest reason I know lol.

Yea GM trucks hold their value better then other brands, Id say only Toyota is on the same level. I would like to get a 3500 LTZ but I feel unless I can really afford the extra cost, a 3500 Laramie Megacab Ram will be just fine and be $5-$10k cheaper (I'll be buying used). My fiancé and I were out of town and we saw a 2015 GMC 2500 and she fell in love with it until I brought them up on Autotrader and showed her prices lol. I'm looking to buy in the next 6-8 months so a lot can happen with my business then so we'll see what I end up buying.

The new GT350 is a great car but I feel like their a little on the costly side for a mustang. Id rather get a C7 Vette with the Z51 package. Of course the z06 is the best with supercar numbers for a bargain price but not everyone has $90k+ to spend and this is coming from a guy who has a 2012 M3 for the weekends lol.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Since you're looking at the Challenger, have you looked into the redesigned 2016 Camaro? It went on a diet and lost about 2-300lbs and gain some power. Also went down in overall size too which coupled with the weight loss really helps the handling.

The only way you'd get me to buy a hatch would be if that was literally the only style available on the planet lol.
I have and while I think Chevy and Ford did a great job creating a retro 60's look, I never cared for the look of the 60's Camaros and Mustangs to begin with.

Now if Chevy was to come out with a retro 57 Chevy Bel Air, I would sell one of my kids to get it.

R W B

I have and while I think Chevy and Ford did a great job creating a retro 60's look, I never cared for the look of the 60's Camaros and Mustangs to begin with.

Now if Chevy was to come out with a retro 57 Chevy Bel Air, I would sell one of my kids to get it.

I agree with that, I wasn't big on the retro look either when they came out but I think this new design is more up to date then retro. Gotta ask, were you a fan of the 60s Challenger?

A retro Bel Air would be a big seller I think. Wonder if it's ever crossed their minds.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree with that, I wasn't big on the retro look either when they came out but I think this new design is more up to date then retro. Gotta ask, were you a fan of the 60s Challenger?

A retro Bel Air would be a big seller I think. Wonder if it's ever crossed their minds.
The Challenger, Charger and Barracudas were all I really liked from the 60's and early 70's and they are down on my list of favorite cars.

May favorite cars come from 1959 and prior with the 57 Bel Air, 58 Plymouth Fury and the 59 Cadillac making up the top 3. I also have huge fondness T-Buckets and pretty much any hot rod using a 1930's body style.

71dsp

Nothing wrong with hatchbacks! I love them personally. :)

I know I watched on one of the big shows (CNN/MSNBC/FOX) on how GM paid it back with interest and early too. I just assumed it could be found online easily, guess I was wrong.

This is one of the best timeline explanations that I've found: http://projects.propublica.org/bailout/entities/233-general-motors

I'm a GM fan also, favorite car I've owned was my '02 Formula. Such a fun car! Just raw power. I also had a '06 Sierra 4dr 4x4 and it handled itself pretty nicely off road. Never had an issue with it.

The new canyon is a good truck but I can't do a mid-size, just my mentality. It's not the greatest reason I know lol.

I just saw one today next to an older Explorer at a stop light. The Canyon was larger than the Explorer! I was kind of surprised.

Yea GM trucks hold their value better then other brands, Id say only Toyota is on the same level. I would like to get a 3500 LTZ but I feel unless I can really afford the extra cost, a 3500 Laramie Megacab Ram will be just fine and be $5-$10k cheaper (I'll be buying used). My fiancé and I were out of town and we saw a 2015 GMC 2500 and she fell in love with it until I brought them up on Autotrader and showed her prices lol. I'm looking to buy in the next 6-8 months so a lot can happen with my business then so we'll see what I end up buying.

The interesting thing to me is that the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan have as many (if not more) issues than the GM/Ford/Chrysler trucks. However, if you really need serious towing power, the big three are the only choices. :)

The new GT350 is a great car but I feel like their a little on the costly side for a mustang. Id rather get a C7 Vette with the Z51 package. Of course the z06 is the best with supercar numbers for a bargain price but not everyone has $90k+ to spend and this is coming from a guy who has a 2012 M3 for the weekends lol.

That's a good point between the C7 Z51 vs the GT350. I'm just impressed with the engineering in the car. The C7 is no slouch though for sure. :)

71dsp

The Challenger, Charger and Barracudas were all I really liked from the 60's and early 70's and they are down on my list of favorite cars.

May favorite cars come from 1959 and prior with the 57 Bel Air, 58 Plymouth Fury and the 59 Cadillac making up the top 3. I also have huge fondness T-Buckets and pretty much any hot rod using a 1930's body style.

The new Challengers are great looking cars (especially the Hellcat, of course!), but like you mentioned, they are so stinkin' heavy!!! Very curious about the long term reliability of the Hellcat, but it's a cool car nonetheless. :)

Jahona

The new Challengers are great looking cars (especially the Hellcat, of course!), but like you mentioned, they are so stinkin' heavy!!! Very curious about the long term reliability of the Hellcat, but it's a cool car nonetheless. :)

I joke at times but for me the current generation of Dodge vehicles are lease vehicles. I love the look of the Challengers but from those that owned them none have lasted more than 4-5 years with out issues. A friend bought a new Dodge Ram 1500 which only lasted a month and a half before the engine blew up.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
That is my concern as well. Seems like performance V8s like to die right around 100k and I tend to keep cars into the mid 200ks.

wdwstateofmind

It's not my favorite car, however, I look at buying a car from a mostly safety factor. Therefore, I'm on my 3rd Volvo. First one (S70) was great car that I got rid of at 175K because I didn't know better. The second was the first gen S40 that the cops said was solely responsible for saving my life when a drunk driver hit me. My current one is a second gen S40 that has 158K on it.

That being said, the maintenance on these things are EXPENSIVE. You need genuine Volvo parts or repairs just don't work. This has caused me to do most of the work myself, however, I also think since I know all the work is being finished (and finished correctly) I get good miles out of the engines. My current one at 158K hasn't had one major engine or transmission repair needed and I'm hoping will go into the high 200Ks before I start having any serious problems with it.

JohnByers

Original Poster
I really do have a love affair with Mazda's

My DD

21b674o.jpg

My street Miata (will become my 14.5y/o son's first car)

2uqkw94.jpg

The old Trailer queen CSP Miata for autox duties

2zedxkg.jpg

My 2005 RX8 that I sometimes autox

sqphxx.jpg

and not pictured my wife's DD 2014 Mazda 6.

Yeah, I prob do have a problem!

montyz81

I have owned: 1981 and 1982 Datsun 200SX, 1997 Nissan Hardbody, 2000, Nissan Maxima, 2004, Nissan Armada, 2009 Nissan Murano, 2013 Nissan Pathfinder, 2006 Infiniti G37, 2012 Infiniti G37, 1981 Datsun 280zx Turbo (currently off the road for major overhaul). Outside of Nissan, I have had a Chevette, Neon, Tundra and Century. Other then that, it has been all Nissan.

rob0519

We seem to have become Volvo people.
1984 240
1996 960
1998 s70
2001 xc70
2007 xc70
2013 xc60

We've looked a multiple other brands each time and keep going back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom