The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
No, you are confusing a world class marathon like the Boston Marathon with Disney. I feel that even if someone is to win the marathon at Disney it has some real value both in pride and accomplishment. However, the medals I am talking about are the ones that are passed out as participants. Those have not much more then momento value. That is the medal that the big winners are complaining about and it is like comparing donuts to bagels, they may outwardly look the same from a distance, but, they are not even close to being the same thing. They offer no threat to the serious runner, they offer no recognition other then participating and are usually only impressive to the holder and no one else. At Disney it may signify a tremendous accomplishment for that individual person, but, holds no impressive nature to anyone else except a handful of relatives.

It did manage to possibly do a world of good and instill a modicum of happiness to a person whose self image is in dire need of lifting. This isn't a kiddie accomplishment it is a beat up adult accomplishment and there is no better place on the planet to get that then at the "fun" runs (or walks) that Disney provides. It really escapes me how anyone would want to deprive people of that chance for rebirth when it does nothing to lesson the accomplishments of those that ran the full or half and accomplished something way out of reach of those that got their rubber medal saying that, at least they tried.

You seem to think that I am belittling they accomplishment of your Father. Nothing could be further from the truth. What he did at his age is phenomenal and worthy of all the accolades that can be found. That said, if someone at the end of the line walked across the finish line a number of hours after he did that wouldn't take anything away from his accomplishments would it? Can you name anyone other then him that you can even remember their name even if they came in second? Of course not. That is why I feel it is a non-issue, it does no one any harm and helps many. That to me is the purpose of Disney and the reason that they can continue to get away with high prices and money making schemes they are in the business of making people happy.

Like I said we will have to agree to disagree the WDW Run Disney. We just look at the sport differently when held at this venue. I've seen athletes poke fun at baseball spring training at WDW too as Mickey Mouse spring training. It is just an individual perspective

Other than my niece that has been named by one running organization as the female runner of the year and has won in her age group, no I can't name the people who have won. But on the same token, I rarely remember who wins the World Series or SuperBowl or who the MVP was. It isn't just running, I just don't seem to retain the names of the winners in any sport, let alone retaining their names. Some are good at that, me not so much. My BlackHawks did win the Stanley Cup but I couldn't tell ya who the MVP was.

betty rose

Walt and Mickey with poinsettias.
View attachment 121277

Back to Tomorrowland, we did the speedway. We hadn't ridden that in years, so I made a fast pass and it was fun to walk past all those people waiting in that boring queue.
View attachment 121278
View attachment 121279
Heading out to go to Epcot for lunch. To enjoy a bit more of the last day of Food and Wine festival.
View attachment 121280

View attachment 121281

View attachment 121282 View attachment 121283 View attachment 121284
The tree at the train station.

View attachment 121285 View attachment 121286
I was so excited seeing the photo's I said reply without any comment. Those are great, I love "our " vacation.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Here's something funny. My father never cooked anything in the kitchen; only my mother cooked. However, my non-cooking father would "magically" :rolleyes: transform into a cook every summer--only he cooked on the outdoor grill for the family. I could never understand how he could not as much as boil water in the kitchen, but could cook steaks, fish, ribs, burgers, corn and other things on the outdoor grill in the summer??!! :confused: :D

Woot! for your Dad. Me, I am the Captain of the Grill too, as is my Mom. My FIL would direct his 3 sons to grill. They too lacked the talent their Dad did.

Gabe1

I never thought to use canned beans. I've only used frozen beans (in the green bean casserole) and generally get a good price on either the boxes or bags of them at the supermarket. I tend to forget about canned veggies; I think the only canned veggies I ever buy are regular beans (for chili), or sometimes, chickpeas for salads, in the summertime.

I don't care for canned vegetables. Still I can't imagine making green bean casserole with anything other than canned. Go figure me. :confused:

betty rose

I use my grill for so many things I normally would cook in the oven but still there are things I need the oven for as I can't control the temp of the grill that precisely. My kitchen is not large so I tend to not add more appliances to my counters, just the coffee pot, Keurig, toaster and can opener.
I'm still really behind, as I don't have a Keurig, or can opener. Just the hand held kind. Maybe, next year I can move ahead with an automatic can opener!:eek:;)

betty rose

THNX and the best part was he wasn't underfoot while I tried to get all the fabric ironed. He needs little projects when I'm busy otherwise he either is in the way or tries to help which is way worse.
Hubby's do that, because they really want to help. Hubby kept giving me recipes for chili today. Now, I've made chili for over 40 years, and he says he loves it. I do it stove top, and I want to do it in the crockpot. I know how to do it, he thought it needed to change all the ingredients! I told him no, he had it for lunch from the crock pot and loved it! Sometimes hubby's over think things, especially if they have never cooked!:D

Cesar R M

Disney does corral their runners according to previous times for the marathons for the genuine runners so the WalkDisney participants do not harm the times of the serious runners participating.
I think this is the main complain, because many runners who are not supposed to be with the pros, still go with the pros and block the way.. aka not going to the correct corrals.

Cesar R M

Did you know they have something called a tortilla press avaialable in most kitchen supply stores and something called massa so you can make your own corn tortillas:DSeeing it's only the 2 of us for dinner I'm making tacos for dinner:hungry:
making your own tortillas is most of the time, better.
since machine made tortillas are VERY thin, and most of the times.. they dilute the MASA with cheaper components..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom