The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

French Quarter

My farmers market left me a month ago, didn't even finish October this year. :( I am taking a tiny bit of solace in the ChristKindlmarket has opened a satilite market in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. It is an interest Market of German origin that started in DT Chicago 20 years ago. I was fortunate to hit the city on one day a year having to train into the city. So hopefully next week I will be able to visit the market that has some amazing German Foods, nice for winter. It is dramatically smaller than Chicago's but I will take it. Especially Dinkels Bakery.
resizedBanner.jpg

0cb2192cfa8746fe8c614070cb086c121.JPG

Ooooh...that looks so awesome! I want to go.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I was thinking I might make a pumpkin pie for the day after Thanksgiving (since we're going out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving Day). Could never make a decent pie crust though, so I found some pre-made pie crusts in the supermarket's refrigerator section. They're from Pillsbury, and they're already made and rolled up in the box. So I think all you have to do is unroll the pie crust and dump it in a pie pan! :happy:

I already had a can of pumpkin in the cabinet. However, I did have to buy pumpkin pie spice, and a can of sweetened condensed milk.

Recipe says that you can put whipped cream on top of the pie when you serve it, so I bought a can of Reddi-whip. I wanted to try out the whipped cream, but I didn't have any pie at home, so I sprayed some on a Ritz cracker! Ha! It tasted yummy though! :hungry: Then I had a second cracker . . . and a third . . .. :D

I love pumpkin pie, but I don't like the crust so I just buy the premade crusts. Interesting that your recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, most recipes call for evaporated milk. I was jonesing for some pumpkin pie yesterday and since hubby doesn't like it I won't make it for Thanksgiving (since it is just us and I would have to eat it on my own). So anyway, I made a pumpkin dump cake, hubby likes that for some reason, and we had company over so I know they would like it.

The dump cake is even easier than pumpkin pie...if anyone wants the recipe....
Mix together one can pumpkin, 1 can evaporated milk, 3 tsps. cinnamon, and 3 eggs. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle on top a box of yellow cake mix, pour 3/4 cup melted butter on top of that, and sprinkle with chopped pecans/walnuts.
Bake for 50 minutes at 350. Top with whipped cream (I use canned) when serving. I always warm it up a little too when I serve it.
It is so good, it is easier and tastier than pie.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
My farmers market left me a month ago, didn't even finish October this year. :( I am taking a tiny bit of solace in the ChristKindlmarket has opened a satilite market in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. It is an interest Market of German origin that started in DT Chicago 20 years ago. I was fortunate to hit the city on one day a year having to train into the city. So hopefully next week I will be able to visit the market that has some amazing German Foods, nice for winter. It is dramatically smaller than Chicago's but I will take it. Especially Dinkels Bakery.
resizedBanner.jpg

0cb2192cfa8746fe8c614070cb086c121.JPG

That looks like fun, especially the German food part of it. (I'm going back on my diet tomorrow, so any food will look good.)

French Quarter

I love pumpkin pie, but I don't like the crust so I just buy the premade crusts. Interesting that your recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, most recipes call for evaporated milk. I was jonesing for some pumpkin pie yesterday and since hubby doesn't like it I won't make it for Thanksgiving (since it is just us and I would have to eat it on my own). So anyway, I made a pumpkin dump cake, hubby likes that for some reason, and we had company over so I know they would like it.

The dump cake is even easier than pumpkin pie...if anyone wants the recipe....
Mix together one can pumpkin, 1 can evaporated milk, 3 tsps. cinnamon, and 3 eggs. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
Sprinkle on top a box of yellow cake mix, pour 3/4 cup melted butter on top of that, and sprinkle with chopped pecans/walnuts.
Bake for 50 minutes at 350. Top with whipped cream (I use canned) when serving. I always warm it up a little too when I serve it.
It is so good, it is easier and tastier than pie.

I've never made it with condensed milk either. Seems very sweet. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie. Never had it growing up. Hubby likes it though so I do make it. My favourite is sugar pie...which might be a regional thing here. (Never had that growing up where I'm from either.)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've never made it with condensed milk either. Seems very sweet. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie. Never had it growing up. Hubby likes it though so I do make it. My favourite is sugar pie...which might be a regional thing here. (Never had that growing up where I'm from either.)

What is sugar pie? I think my favorite it is pecan pie made with maple syrup. It is so sweet though, I can only have a small piece.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
That was very sweet of you, Gabe. :)
Maybe if mom and dad had to shovel a few times, they'd consider moving back to Texas. :D ;)

A girl my DD has worked with since she was 15 until they both graduated college is back home for the holidays. She first took a job in the Oakland area and then they transferred her to wait for it.....Austin. With all the snow we got I don't think she was missing Illinois weather.

CUdMCwGWcAEgSGu.jpg

Bluck!!!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I do like the Swan and Dolphin a lot. It reminds me of the early years of the Contemporary.

Loved your photo's of Osborne. Well minus the one with the food truck stuck out in the street. :facepalm: Why plop it there? :cyclops:

img_2937-jpg.120396

The Herbie's food truck has been in that area for a couple years, as Lights Motor Dull (opps I mean Action) is nearby. I was just getting a little panorama of the area because it will not be the same when I go back.

Gabe1

"Y'all's folks" could work too.
Ultimately, I don't give a flip.
I luvs you all...!!! :joyfull:
In a WDWMAGIC kinda' way, of course...! ;)

But but but you are a gentleman. ;) I tend to use the term you guys a great deal but things have changed a bit more to my liking since we were young so I tend not to be annoyed by the masquelin form of being addressed anymore. With @Cesar R M I rarely do 'cause I generally understand what he is trying to say even when wording is slightly jumbled, I get the point. I'll take his English over my Spanish anyday.

Still some strange things linger on, are you Miss, Mrs or Ms - guys don't get that question they get a box for Mister. Are you taking his name or keeping yours question. I don't have one friend that the guy took her name. The world has come a long way since women were referred to as a fireman, a policeman, a mailman, chairman, foreman, journeyman - hundreds of them have been update over the years. So I am old enough to understand the 'foul' of referring to both men and women as gentlemen. Though in this case I did understand and also got the reference.

Gabe1

The Herbie's food truck has been in that area for a couple years, as Lights Motor Dull (opps I mean Action) is nearby. I was just getting a little panorama of the area because it will not be the same when I go back.

Yes it has but that is the beauty of trucks, they move easily in and out of events. I've seen them roll in for NYE into the WS area along with port a potties into Epcot and roll 'em out. Me if I were the Empress of the Osborne Lights planning I'd be rolling Herb out for 2 months. Not like the studio's are packed with attractions that another spot nearby couldn't be used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom