'The Dark Side of Disney' the documentary film

mergatroid

Original Poster
Was shown this past weekend in Orlando. I realise many of the people behind it aren't exactly liked by Disney and have crossed the lines on numerous occasions, breaking park rules. However the idea behind it is rather fascinating as are some of the characters involved. I'll definitely be trying to get a dvd version of this shipped over to the uk at some point and the book is already of Santa's list for this Christmas.

On a side note there is bad language used in the movie and clips so best not let the little ones see or hear it (unless of course you swear like a trooper yourself in front of them, in which case you wont give a &#@+)

mergatroid

Original Poster

I'm slightly concerned with the lady who's head of the Disney 'gang' in one of those clips. Bragging that her 13 year old son really believes she's a real Disney princess (unless he has learning difficulties, I find this really odd) and saying she only takes him there one day a year whereas she goes with her friends every week.

DisneyOutsider

I'm slightly concerned with the lady who's head of the Disney 'gang' in one of those clips. Bragging that her 13 year old son really believes she's a real Disney princess (unless he has learning difficulties, I find this really odd) and saying she only takes him there one day a year whereas she goes with her friends every week.

I don't know anything about them other than the videos you just posted. If I'm to judge their work based on those videos, what they mean by "Dark Side of Disney" is really, 'Look at us we smoke and cuss and have tattoos and we love Disney too'. It doesn't look like they have any dark secrets to reveal or anything of that nature, which is what they suggest by titling their work as they do.

But like I said, I don't know much about them other than what you've posted. I was intrigued by the title, but their product was actually pretty boring, if not juvenile ('OMG lolz look at us we got off of the ride vehicle')

mergatroid

Original Poster
I don't know anything about them other than the videos you just posted. If I'm to judge their work based on those videos, what they mean by "Dark Side of Disney" is really, 'Look at us we smoke and cuss and have tattoos and we love Disney too'. It doesn't look like they have any dark secrets to reveal or anything of that nature, which is what they suggest by titling their work as they do.

But like I said, I don't know much about them other than what you've posted. I was intrigued by the title, but their product was actually pretty boring, if not juvenile ('OMG lolz look at us we got off of the ride vehicle')

Here's a review from Amazon

"It's the finest collection of underground WDW stuff ever assembled and is a true bright light in a world gone bland.... Buy this thing and treat the naughty side of your brain to some adventure."
-Hoot Gibson, Mesa Verde Times

"For the first time in 29 years, I'm actually inclined to visit the Magic Kingdom.... This is the GREATEST travel guide ever."
-William P. Tandy, editor/author of Smile, Hon, You're in Baltimore!

"I found it to be an entertaining read, but it's definitely different from the usual books.... Those who don't buy into the Disney "magic" may find it most interesting of all, though Cast Members will also recognize the undercurrent of reality in this book, missing from most other guides."
-Kevin Yee, columnist at Miceage.com

"...it's the literary equivalent of 'Jackass.' In that you get the pleasure of reading about how Kinsey and Co. broke the rules without then having to deal with any of the consequences of breaking the rules yourself."
-Jim Hill, JimHillMedia.com

"This is a title I would recommend for someone who has seen it all and is looking for something different. It is also a great read for anyone that wants more than just the regular theme park experience. Or someone who thinks Disney is only for kids."
-George Taylor, Imaginerding.com

I'm intrigued by most things Disney though perhaps this isn't for everyone I'll admit.

Kiwiduck

The lady in this clip said that her son has autism and finds Disneyland to be a sensory overload, that is why she only takes him once a year. She also said he had a very optimistic and naive view of the world which is why he could believe she was a princess. I thought it was a lovely story!

mergatroid

Original Poster
The lady in this clip said that her son has autism and finds Disneyland to be a sensory overload, that is why she only takes him once a year. She also said he had a very optimistic and naive view of the world which is why he could believe she was a princess. I thought it was a lovely story!

In that case it's nice, I agree. Sorry missed her saying about his autism.

thomas998

Yeah... I thought it was going to be talking about some of the very un-PC things Disney had done in its past... like the emphamis chasing leamings into the sea where they only went because the other option was getting crushed by a bulldozer... at least that was the story I remember hearing in the college biology class where we were told Leaming have never ever been seen jumping into the ocean outside of that film and then given the explanation of how Disney managed to make it happen.... That's the type of stuff I was looking for.

thomas998

I thought it was child abuse. If you have a kid that you know can't handle the sensory overload of Disney why in the world would you take them there? If I had a kid that was afraid of water would you think it lovely if once a year I threw them into a swimming pool?

mergatroid

Original Poster
Yeah... I thought it was going to be talking about some of the very un-PC things Disney had done in its past... like the emphamis chasing leamings into the sea where they only went because the other option was getting crushed by a bulldozer... at least that was the story I remember hearing in the college biology class where we were told Leaming have never ever been seen jumping into the ocean outside of that film and then given the explanation of how Disney managed to make it happen.... That's the type of stuff I was looking for.

To be honest I've neither read the book or seen the film yet, those are just trailers I've posted. As pointed out though there's a story of lady who was filmed stripping on the monorail and then doing naughty things to herself along with a craze where ladies would take their tops off on Splash Mountain for the photo op. I believe Disney had to start vetting photos before displaying them for sale as a response this this.

You may also find 'the type of stuff you're looking for' in a book called 'The Mouse Betrayed'. I have this book and whilst there's a bit of sensationalist filler, there's also some quite bizarre stories about some surprising things at Disney. For instance a CM used to film female dancers undressing in the changing rooms in the castle. He was in the radio room above the changing rooms and made a video of them naked and even passed it round to other male cm's. There was also a fireman at the Disney Fire station who was allegedly sexually assaulted by other firemen and got a big out of court settlement to not reveal anything more. Stuff about a visiting Saudi princess who hired an entire floor at the Swan beating one of her aids who she thought had stolen jewelry from her collection. This woman was badly injured and off duty police officers working security had to smuggle her out to get medical attention.

Any of this appeals to you then you can purchase it here

Schneewittchen

So, has anyone actually seen this thing in it's entirety? What did you think? I can empathize with the dump Nana's ashes in the moat types....

I've read the book and have read a few other Disney-focused books published by the Bamboo Forest folks. Leonard Kinsey's fiction is so original and creative, I just wish he had a better editor.

lilclerk

So, has anyone actually seen this thing in it's entirety? What did you think? I can empathize with the dump Nana's ashes in the moat types....
I actually donated to the kickstarter because I love a good documentary, and I was intrigued. Unfortunately, I found the end result a little boring. Some of the b-roll footage they used is great, though.

Nick Wilde

nowthatswhaticalledgy.jpg

The Empress Lilly

The Hoot Gibson clip is so awesome. So awesome.
I love 'em so much. You know, I'd be in one thread foaming at the mouf over stupid tourists climbing out of their boats and walking all over Pirates' scenery when the ride breaks down, and in another celebrating Hoot and Chief, and I don't know how to reconcile all that. But still, I love what they did and would so gladly be in their shoes. Well Hoots... :lookarou

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom