A Spirited Perfect Ten

Phil12

Phil: it seems you forgot to read this thread, I recommend review it.
Because the spirit mentioned the 800 millions more than once.
I'm fully up to speed on this subject. You are the one who mistakenly (or on purpose) has conflated the $800 million mentioned by Spirit with the assumption that said cash has somehow gone missing. Spirit left the $800 million on the table knowing full well that his minions would pick up the torches and assume that the money was used for bribery or other nefarious purposes. Yet no iota of evidence has been presented to even suggest such activity. Spirit knows how to manipulate a mob of unwitting dupes.

the.dreamfinder

I'm fully up to speed on this subject. You are the one who mistakenly (or on purpose) has conflated the $800 million mentioned by Spirit with the assumption that said cash has somehow gone missing. Spirit left the $800 million on the table knowing full well that his minions would pick up the torches and assume that the money was used for bribery or other nefarious purposes. Yet no iota of evidence has been presented to even suggest such activity. Spirit knows how to manipulate a mob of unwitting dupes.
Like those times you placed research papers by college students or unsourced reports from questionable websites here to prove your point(s)?
On China
I'll agree with you that the HOW you enter the nation is very important. However, I will point out that a Disney theme park is a wonderful way to enter China. But allow me to share with you Joseph Mathew's well researched investigation on this matter:

Go For Launch: Disney's Recipe For Successfully Piercing The Media Veil In China - Joseph Mathew
http://www.slideshare.net/codycostarica/disney-china-media-memo-joseph-Mathew

I think there is little doubt that TWDC is on the right track.

I would not call a B-School paper which cites Wikipedia well researched, but there are other issues.

Some observations:
  1. Paper fails to mention Viacom's substantial presence in the mainland with its cable channels Nickelodeon China and MTV China. These are by far the most successful American media BRANDs in China, but author either thinks they aren't relevant to his thesis or he simply didn't do his research thoroughly enough.
  2. Citing Wikipedia is still inappropriate.
  3. Author doesn't exactly grasp how important the Company sees the Disney Channel in spreading its BRAND.
  4. Author not doing his due diligence with Nickelodeon China really hurts his paper because it would offer much needed context.
  5. I can't overstate how not understanding Nickelodeon's popularity cripples his arguments.
  6. Author does a good job explaining Disney's options to expand its presence in the Chinese market, but then he trips over himself with this.View attachment 89345
  7. What I do find interesting with that last point is that he still believes joint ventures are best even though control means so much to Disney that it would sacrifice it to enter the market "first", not best which has always been a cornerstone of how the company operates. Walt Disney didn't create the first feature length animated film with "Snow White", he and his artists created the first BEST animated feature. There are many inherent values to being the first mover as the author postulates, but taking the time to do it right is more important longer term. Houses should be built on strong foundations and all that jazz.
  8. I need to give the paper a pass on the issue of foreign releases at the Chinese box office given that last year it was decided the foreign film quota will be eliminated by 2017-2018 to make good on promises the Central Govenrment made to the WTO.

On Walt Disney post PBS doc

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
@the.dreamfinder, what point are you trying to make? That TWDC is going to be in trouble legally? Or, the SDR project itself could be in trouble? Or both?

Everything you have presented shows me, at least for now, TWDC is in zero legal trouble. Of course, that could change depending on where the investigation goes with the Shanghai official. But everything the media has written does not show any legal problems for TWDC.

lazyboy97o

Even if Disney has been involved in corrupt behavior in China, the chances of it being uncovered as part a domestic investigation are almost non-existent. That sort of revelation would be huge but not because of Disney's involvement.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Even if Disney has been involved in corrupt behavior in China, the chances of it being uncovered as part a domestic investigation are almost non-existent. That sort of revelation would be huge but not because of Disney's involvement.

No one is saying Disney did anything other than make a poor choice of partners who basically left Disney between a rock and a hard place, Unfortunately Disney is going to face the consequences for Shendi's bad acts should they be proved by the provincial government.

This is one of the main reasons MDE stayed out of mainland China. Small upside if it goes well, huge downside risks if it fails.

Nubs70

A simple forensic accounting analysis would answer these questions.

lazyboy97o

No one is saying Disney did anything other than make a poor choice of partners who basically left Disney between a rock and a hard place, Unfortunately Disney is going to face the consequences for Shendi's bad acts should they be proved by the provincial government.

This is one of the main reasons MDE stayed out of mainland China. Small upside if it goes well, huge downside risks if it fails.
No, people are saying far more than that.

Eisner was obsessed with Shanghai. It was a constant specter haunting the Hong Kong deal. He backed out because there wasn't enough synergy included in the deal. For ego, Iger uncharacteristically accepted only moving forward with the desired theme park.

A simple forensic accounting analysis would answer these questions.
That may well be, but it would not be brought to light by this campaign unless Xi is genuinely serious about battling corruption.

Phil12

Like those times you placed research papers by college students or unsourced reports from questionable here to prove your point(s)?
On China

On Walt Disney post PBS doc
I'm always fascinated by the way you change the subject when facts get in the way of your argument.

One of the first assertions was that Bob Iger influenced his wife (Willow Bay) to censor an article critical of the Disney CEO's entry to China. "Censorship" was the word used most often by WDW1974. Yet that article is still available: http://yourfinancialnews.net/business/disney-ceo-fumbles-entry-to-china/ A conspiracy involves two or more persons in an evil surreptitious plan to cause some sort of subversion or plot. So yes indeed, he did allege that a conspiracy was afoot.

He also predicted that as a direct result of said censorship that Willow Bay would resign her position as director of USC Annenberg School of Journalism within a matter of weeks or months at the most. He made that prediction over nine months ago.

In reality, he was really rumor mongering and engaging in wishful thinking. And now he wants to backtrack and say he never alleged any sort of conspiracy. To wit:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-spirited-perfect-ten.894588/page-1030

The point is that you can go back in this thread and find repeated assertions by Spirit that have no evidence to support them. They are pure rumor and speculation on his part or information that is designed to mislead. Also, some people have been savvy enough to save some of those old posts and note that Spirit has gone back to edit or delete information that has proven to be wrong.

But also, Spirit is very smart in that he has led some readers down a path knowing full well that the reader will gladly jump to a false conclusion. It's pure propaganda on his part. He provides highly biased information and campaigns to sway public opinion in favor of or opposing TWDC or Darth Iger as he sees fit.

All of this talk about the $800 million was created by the Spirit spin. There is no evidence to suggest any wrongdoing. But you all keep taking the bait along with many other unfounded and baseless rumors. I admit, it's recreation for me watching the rumors as they spin out of control and some people report them as fact. It's like watching people opine about the grassy knoll theory.

Lee

Adventurer
One of the first assertions was that Bob Iger influenced his wife (Willow Bay) to censor an article critical of the Disney CEO's entry to China. "Censorship" was the word used most often by WDW1974. Yet that article is still available: http://yourfinancialnews.net/business/disney-ceo-fumbles-entry-to-china/ A conspiracy involves two or more persons in an evil surreptitious plan to cause some sort of subversion or plot. So yes indeed, he did allege that a conspiracy was afoot.
Here, I'll assert that again.
Willow, at the behest of Bob and Zenia, had the article pulled from the Huffington Post.

Fact, like it or not.
He also predicted that as a direct result of said censorship that Willow Bay would resign her position as director of USC Annenberg School of Journalism within a matter of weeks or months at the most.
She should have been forced out.

AEfx

Here, I'll assert that again.
Willow, at the behest of Bob and Zenia, had the article pulled from the Huffington Post.

Fact, like it or not.

She should have been forced out.

ROFL.

Sorry, Lee. Are we really resurrecting the non-story?

Bob Iger must be doing an extraordinary job if folks need to go back to that non-issue, non-story again. Is he really so perfect as to have not made any new perceived mistakes for people to go on about and create conspiracy theories for?

Lee

Adventurer
ROFL.

Sorry, Lee. Are we really resurrecting the non-story?

Bob Iger must be doing an extraordinary job if folks need to go back to that non-issue, non-story again. Is he really so perfect as to have not made any new perceived mistakes for people to go on about and create conspiracy theories for?
I didn't resurrect it.
When I see someone post what I know to be false information about that, or any other story, I'll correct it.

Simple as that.

Cesar R M

@the.dreamfinder, what point are you trying to make? That TWDC is going to be in trouble legally? Or, the SDR project itself could be in trouble? Or both?

Everything you have presented shows me, at least for now, TWDC is in zero legal trouble. Of course, that could change depending on where the investigation goes with the Shanghai official. But everything the media has written does not show any legal problems for TWDC.
the most probably thing will be.. the removal of the bribed officials (from jail to execution depending on how bad it was)
and big fines to those involved.
I dont think Shangai Disneyland will somehow get blocked from opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom