DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Goofyernmost

Universal took down an existing building and built Transformers in under one year on a plot of land that we completely land locked from backstage. Yes, my understanding is that there were special circumstances that motivated them to do it this fast, but it just shows what is possible.
I agree and stated that there is a difference between necessary and unnecessary. I was never there during that time, but, if I were a betting man I'd bet that they worked through the day as well and had no concern over the noise or mess. Uni has the freedom to do that. Do the same thing in WDW and the fan's will go absolutely bat crap about it. You know that's true.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Any chance of taking the predictable Uni v WDW arguments to the usual thread?

yeah my bad LOL - I'll take the blame for this one... didn't mean to open up a can of butterbeer here... just wanted to state that I hope Disney builds these "phases" a lot quicker than we've seen other things be built over the past few years...and follow more in the timelines of Uni when doing projects of similar nature.

ULPO46

Since Universal is now essentially landlocked, they really can't 'grow' or expand.

Evolve, perhaps, by canabilizing what old attractions they currently have. They've already traded a far superior que and ride for a cartoon version of The Simpsons. Kongfrontation has been replaced by an indoor coaster, etc.
Using this info, my biggest fear is a landlocked DHS. If they don't take into consideration parking/ backlot area. They may take out some of the big foot print attractions. But it's highly unlikely that it ever happens.

YodaMan

I'd expect to see

Cast parking move elsewhere

Guests use cast and guest parking

Garage one built

Guests use garage one and guest / cast parking

Garage two built

New cast parking built

Guests use both garages

Original Cast parking amalgamated into park and infrastructure as SW work begins

What's announced so far isn't the end. Park Phases 3 and 4 are not green lit and are dependent on several factors. Please don't ask what and where.

Phase 4 is still a slate of blue sky. As @Lee said, 1 garage will be going up during the Star Wars phase. There will be at least 2 buildings sitting on part of existing parking. At least, as things are now.

*1023*

So from the sounds of it, two buildings (likely for Star Wars [or for backstage areas that will be taken out by Star Wars]) will expand into the parking lots. To accommodate the lost parking (and future increased visitors at the park), two parking garages will be built. Unless I'm somehow missing something, the lost parking due to the 2 Star Wars-effected buildings will come from the Television Lot (cast parking). So the parking garages will likely go in the Film Lot and guests will use the Television Lot until the garage is completed? Which then leaves the question of where do cast member parking spots get moved to? Will everyone be forced to park at Epcot throughout the entirety of this expansion? Will they somehow build a cast parking garage (is there any other room backstage) and is that part of the two parking garages planned?

ULPO46

So from the sounds of it, two buildings (likely for Star Wars [or for backstage areas that will be taken out by Star Wars]) will expand into the parking lots. To accommodate the lost parking (and future increased visitors at the park), two parking garages will be built. Unless I'm somehow missing something, the lost parking due to the 2 Star Wars will
Even before we knew the exact info we all knew eventually they needed to build at least two garages. The parking was already small, not to mention any expansion around where the Indiana Jones Stunt show was at needed to get into the parking lot. You aren't missing a thing! your on spot. Construction of these will commence once Disney Springs infrastructure is complete.

ULPO46

But lets be honest we more than likely can all agree that we know what will be built for TSL and Star Wars because attractions like these already exists. It would have been nice to see a light cycle ride like what shanghai is getting for Tron.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But lets be honest we more than likely can all agree that we know what will be built for TSL and Star Wars because attractions like these already exists. It would have been nice to see a light cycle ride like what shanghai is getting for Tron.

We don't really know much about the rides in SWL, just their back stories. Disney can fit a lot of different ride systems to those stories.

dstrawn9889

what i have heard rumbling, the spceships would be like the new Luigi's ride... wire guided 'dance' around others, almost like a bumpercars type thing, but no impacts.

doctornick

what i have heard rumbling, the spceships would be like the new Luigi's ride... wire guided 'dance' around others, almost like a bumpercars type thing, but no impacts.

That was a rumor from Mice Age a while ago, but the concept art shows a ride almost identical to the Mater's whip ride.

DisneyNeighbor

I can't figure out why they would spend the extra money for parking garages. Why would they not use this existing land? I find it hard to believe the land could not handle a parking lot. Don't they buy land elsewhere when they develop land on property?

Parking.JPG

Goofyernmost

Using this info, my biggest fear is a landlocked DHS. If they don't take into consideration parking/ backlot area. They may take out some of the big foot print attractions. But it's highly unlikely that it ever happens.
That ship has already sailed to a large degree. Backlot, sound stages, etc. There is still space left that is absolutely useless and has no mission at all, like the streets of America. Without the filming aspect, it is just a bunch of false fronts.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can't figure out why they would spend the extra money for parking garages. Why would they not use this existing land? I find it hard to believe the land could not handle a parking lot. Don't they buy land elsewhere when they develop land on property?

View attachment 110159

Most of the land you have marked is wet lands and is not suitable for development. They could develop it if they wanted to but there is a lot more cost involved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom