The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

catmom46

even if schools claims to have zero tolerance.. most teachers and staff still refuse or are too lazy to enforce it.
Its the same with the classic excuse of " boys will be boys" when girls get sexually harassed by jocks.

I wouldn't necessarily say most, but it definitely still happens. Luckily, my DD's school is very proactive and constantly reinforcing and enforcing the zero tolerance policy. If they weren't, I'm sure I'd hear about it from her, as she's not one to hold things in, at least not for very long.

catmom46

Gift cards and water bottles are both great ideas. My boys have already asked for both! For your little ones try and find water bottles with their favorite Disney characters on them if you can. My boys wore lanyards with dog tags on them with our mobile phone #s on them

I also vote for gift cards. DD had a $100 allowance while at WDW last month, and she loved being able to pick stuff out herself. She did very well staying within budget, too! So it was also a great shopping lesson. :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Wow, that looks pretty darn good! :hungry:
If it were me, I would have trimmed off a bit more of the surface fat before seasoning. Brisket usually has plenty of fat in parts of the cut. Without the surface fat the smoke ring would go deeper into the meat. The bark looks great! :hungry:
Sorry if that sounded a bit smoked/BBQ'd brisket snobbish... :oops: ;)
Good job...! :)

I don't think you sounded like a bbq snob, it seems to me that you know what you at doing. I will pass along the advice to my husband he is always looking for tips.

betty rose

...his wrist is accurate in guessing the weather...

zJg0IPt.gif
:hilarious::hilarious:

betty rose

Oh!!! I almost forgot. I need some expert advice. Hubby and I decided that this year for Christmas, since the kids have PLENTY of toys and stuff, we're going to give them things they can use for Disney. I got them each a couple of nylon backpacks with Disney characters on them and I got them some off-brand Frogg Toggs chilly pads, and a keychain that we can put our phone numbers in just in case they somehow get separated from us (my worst nightmare) and some glow sticks/rings for the evening programs. So...my question is, what are some great Disney gifts I could get them that they will love and be excited about, but things we would use anyway, so we keep the cost down? Should I get them gift cards so they can buy their own souvenirs? Or water bottles? Is there anything else original or creative?
Our grandsons loved Disney Dollars, I don't know if they are still available, but the kids felt really special having "Disney dollars". They could be purchased at Guest Services, and it was one dollar for one Disney Dollar.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
That sounds messy...delicious but messy.

This comment brought me back many years ago. My father used to say that he loved sloppy meals, and the sloppier the better! In other words, he loved beef stews that he could use some bread to wipe up any of the gravy at the end, fried chicken, barbecued ribs--anything messy. I think it was a primal instinct on his part, sort of like caveman cuisine, that you can use your hands to pull apart things, gnaw on bones, and lick your chops once you devoured everything on your plate. :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Happy day to you! My car's in the shop:( No biggy just brakes, I'm extra cautious about those with all the kids that always seem to find there way into it.

Glad you are taking care of your brakes before something scary happens. It was over a year ago in our even older, 14-year-old car (that we got rid of, shortly after this), that my brakes gave out at the bottom of a hill. The only thing that saved me was that it was very early on a holiday morning with practically no cars on the road,and I coasted through a 4-point intersection. :eek: It was a miracle that nothing happened (remember Archie Bunker's comment to Edith, "God watches out for dingbats!") and I eventually drove the car (very slowly, with flashers on) to a parking lot in a business complex where I then called AAA, and they towed it to a repair garage.

But one good thing: the tow truck driver let me ride with him up front in the tow truck. That was big fun!! :p :D I've never ridden in a large truck like that before (it was one of the bigger, large flatbed back trucks, and they hoist the car up on a platform-type thing). Although I was sad and freaked about seeing my 14-year-old junker on the back of that big rig, the tow truck driver was so funny during the entire ride. I had more laughs with his hilarious comments on the way to the repair place. :joyfull: Oh, he told me it was a real "chick thing" to drive around without brakes that worked . . . :hilarious:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@Songbird76 small stuffed Disney characters to keep them company on the plane along with a big box of crayons and a few Disney coloring books. Some to use now and some for the trip. I also got my kids the Birnbaum's Disney guide (lots of pictures) it also has a few good coupons

I LOVE the Birnbaum's guide book to WDW. :happy: I buy it every year. It's just so cheerful with nice pictures and helpful hints. (I used a few of the coupons in the back--Earl of Sandwich, Ghiradelli's and one more I can't recall at the moment.)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Well, schools now all seem to have zero tolerance policies, but it still seems to happen. I was in junior high when most of the bullying happened and I was a Freshman in High School when this boy was harassing me. The boy sat next to me in biology class, which is when a lot of it happened. So I asked the teacher if he would please make a new seating arrangement to separate him from me, explaining exactly what he was doing/saying. He chuckled and said he was just a boy being a boy and that there would always be people I didn't get along with and that I needed to learn to deal with that, etc. Though he DID make a new seating arrangement...and put the boy right in back of me where he was even closer than before. Then he started snapping my bra, sticking pencils in my ears, leaning forward and whispering things in my ears. I came home every day in tears. It didn't end until my brother got so mad he slammed the kid against the lockers in the hallway and a teacher saw it, but knowing my brother was not prone to such tactics, asked what was wrong and the whole story came out. They were brought to the principal who told the boy he was lucky we hadn't pressed charges against him and to quit while he was ahead. I don't think the original teacher to whom I reported it was even reprimanded, though he should have been. But it's so hard to tell someone about those things at that age...it's embarrassing, and the fact that it was a male teacher.

That's awful. Between reading about your experiences and those of Cesar's, StarWarsGirl, and a few others here the past few days, it's positively astonishing to me how much of this goes on in schools. I do think some of the schools are doing a better job addressing this issue over recent years though--as long as someone reports it.

Lastly, an interesting phenomenon about bullies is that they are all basically very insecure people (as well as most of them being cowards as well). They need to put down others to make their own pathetic lives appear to be more superior. That's messed up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom