Trip Report SLIDE PHOTOS FROM 10/01/1971 NOW PREPARED & READY TO POST

It was a huge undertaking but the feeling of accomplishment is gratifying. I couldn’t have done this without the help of my son, Nick. He provided two fold vision in as much as approach to the problems involved and eyesight. The film cleaner arrived this morning in the mail. The red label on the front reads “Archival Photographic Emulsion Cleaner”. The info on the back of the bottle reads “For Professional Photographic Use Only. Not To Be Sold For Personal, Household Or Family Use”. Our DIL, Amber, arrived late in the afternoon and laughed when I showed her the film cleaner bottle. Amber has a Master’s Degree as an archivist and had just come from an interview for just such a position. She said she was the only one in the room authorized to use the professional cleaner. Amazon sold it to me with the assumption I knew an archivist.

Without further hoo-hah I want to see how these pictures turned out for web viewing. There were some with issue but the majority looked decent for their age.

Below are our ticket books from opening day. Several web resources quote the opening day price for an eleven adventure book @ $5.75. It is plain to see that our eleven adventure book was $3.75. Notice we still have “A” ticket unused. Perhaps I could trade for a fast pass?;)

View attachment 106598

View attachment 106597
This outside Main Entrance. I will avoid comments to speed up the process. Most here will know what is what.:cool:

View attachment 106599
View attachment 106600
View attachment 106601
View attachment 106602

Evidently the “turnip truck” must have just pulled away headed back to Ohio.:geek:
View attachment 106603

View attachment 106604
View attachment 106605

Our first ride of the day. Park has been open for about 30 minutes.
View attachment 106606

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
This paper bag contained postcards purchased at the Emporium this day. It is old, yellow and brown around the edges. The modern plastic bags just aren’t the same.

View attachment 106617

View attachment 106618

View attachment 106619

View attachment 106620

View attachment 106621

These next few photos are from inside the Hormel Restaurant. We had a nice lunch there. This is now Tony’s.

View attachment 106622

View attachment 106623

View attachment 106624

View attachment 106625

View attachment 106626

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
View attachment 106657

I have always loved the steel drums. It is a mesmerizing resonance that is like nothing else.

View attachment 106658

View attachment 106660

View attachment 106661

View attachment 106662

See the map that Becky is holding? We still have it. I believe they were presenting them when we came into the park but not sure. I just know we still have it and it is posted below.:D

View attachment 106663

The Jungle Cruise pictures to follow would tend to indicate that I had never seen an audioanametronic elephant. I had but it was when I was a wee lad visiting Disneyland. The back side of water still looks the same. Some things never change.:happy:

View attachment 106664

View attachment 106665

View attachment 106666

View attachment 106667

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wow--more amazing photos! What stood out to me were the lack of crowds and open spaces back then. Main Street USA looked so relaxed and inviting. I'm glad you took all those pictures of the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse; that's always been one of my classic favorites in the MK. By the way, the two of you won the prize for most colorful shirts that day in the park! ;) I love her hat, too!

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
View attachment 106720

View attachment 106721

These people don't look frightened. If anyone recognizes some of the guests feel free to shout out.:devilish:

View attachment 106722

View attachment 106723

Becky needed a cool drink of water before the bucket ride. We had to take a round trip because the Tomorrow Land area was not open yet. A round trip on the buckets was rather nice and a great view.

View attachment 106724

View attachment 106725

View attachment 106726

View attachment 106727

View attachment 106728

View attachment 106729

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
View attachment 106740

View attachment 106741

As we left Tomorrow Land behind us we hoped we could come back again when it was finished. The entry fountains were so beautiful. There was an announcement that the park would be closing at 6:00 P.M. We did a little shopping at the Emporium, took the monorail and got the tram to the parking area from Ticket and Transportation. We were back to our hotel by 7:30 P.M.

We had a nice meal at a supper club called Dino’s. Becky had lasagna and I had steak. According to the journal Becky was keeping our meal was $17. We checked out of our hotel after a week’s stay. We had an oceanfront room with a kitchenette at a Triple “A” four star rated hotel and our bill was $121.00. Of course, that was 1971 dollars.

We headed north to the Great Smokey Mountains.

View attachment 106742

View attachment 106743
Nick wanted me to add this next picture. He liked it.

View attachment 106744

We found a nice romantic motel in Gatlinburg. The Fabulous Chalet was away from the tourist area and was cozy with a nice fireplace.

View attachment 106745

View attachment 106746

View attachment 106747

View attachment 106748

View attachment 106749

Last edited:

SleepyPuppy

Original Poster
The fireplace got me into hot water. Becky woke up and told me that she was cold. She wanted to cuddle but I jokingly told her to lie next to the fire. WRONG thing to say; I found out she is not fond of foolishness when she is cold and sleepy. Lesson learned and filled away for a long time now.

View attachment 106750

View attachment 106751

View attachment 106752

We had had a wonderful honeymoon with the icing on the cake being opening day at the happiest place on Earth. We were beginning to wear down. The wedding and all that goes with it then travel and experiencing wonderful new things together were catching up with us. We were ready to go home and start our new life together. The photo below shows me pointing toward home.

View attachment 106753

Nick wanted me to post this one as well. He said something about profiles remaining consistent.

View attachment 106754

Crossing the Ohio River and almost home.

View attachment 106755

We arrived home to an apartment full of wedding gifts waiting for us to open. Family all came over and all we could talk about was Walt Disney World.

View attachment 106756

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom