Tower Of Terror (UPDATED, PLEASE REREAD)

Tom

Beta Return
The car backs up away from the unload doors, pivots left or right (depending on which side it came down), and drives backwards into one of two "show shafts" on that side of the tower.

From there, that show lift takes the car up a floor to Load, up to the 5th Dimension, elevator drives forward into one of the two drop shafts, drops, backs out, pivots, and pulls up to one of two unload doors.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

MattyMitch

Original Poster
The car backs up away from the unload doors, pivots left or right (depending on which side it came down), and drives backwards into one of two "show shafts" on that side of the tower.

From there, that show lift takes the car up a floor to Load, up to the 5th Dimension, elevator drives forward into one of the two drop shafts, drops, backs out, pivots, and pulls up to one of two unload doors.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Thanks, so does all the seatbelts need to be fastened for it to depart or is this overriden. I have always wondered, I knew it would need to go to the second floor but I just assumed it went up a sloped floor and uses its wheels to drive up. Is the "show shaft" the 4 shafts with the ghost scene in?

Bairstow

Thanks, so does all the seatbelts need to be fastened for it to depart or is this overriden. I have always wondered, I knew it would need to go to the second floor but I just assumed it went up a sloped floor and uses its wheels to drive up. Is the "show shaft" the 4 shafts with the ghost scene in?

I don't know for certain but given how thorough the visual checks for the belts are by the loading CM, I don't think the ride computer is checking to see if they're buckled or not. I've never noticed a lightboard displaying belt status like, say, on Star Tours. The ride control does lock the belt releases, though.

Also, you may want to study Martin's diagram for a bit:

towerofterror2.jpg

MattyMitch

Original Poster
I don't know for certain but given how thorough the visual checks for the belts are by the loading CM, I don't think the ride computer is checking to see if they're buckled or not. I've never noticed a lightboard displaying belt status like, say, on Star Tours. The ride control does lock the belt releases, though.

Also, you may want to study Martin's diagram for a bit:

towerofterror2.jpg
Thanks for the map! I understand now, I think if I remember there is a display on the bottom right of the elevator which displays which belts are buckled with a green light

Foltzy

On my most recent trip, there was a backup in the loading area. So when we pulled back to unload, I looked back and saw the car pull away from the doors and go into the show shaft

MattyMitch

Original Poster
On my most recent trip, there was a backup in the loading area. So when we pulled back to unload, I looked back and saw the car pull away from the doors and go into the show shaft

Thats really cool, I never really gave it a thought to what happens to the elevator after you unload until my recent trip in July. I really want to know if it just goes by itself and back up or if an operator has to dispatch it when it is safe, I assume they look for any bags left behind. It would be cool to stay in it though!

Does anybody know where the matainence room is and how the elevators get to it??

Bairstow

Does anybody know where the matainence room is and how the elevators get to it??

I've actually been in the maintenance room on a tour a couple years ago.
It looks like a fairly normal professional garage and if I remember correctly takes up the bottom northwest corner of the show building with access to the parking garage and service alleys off of Cypress dr. It was fairly small too- with only space for two vehicles to be worked on at once, and I believe vehicles can be switched to manual control via a cable remote and "walked" outside of the bay to make more room. Since all the vehicles are trackless, the computer simply tells them when to go to maintenance and the trundle down the corridor to the bays by themselves. I remember seeing black marks on the ground in and near the garage where the vehicles' wheels had run over the same paths, year after year.
Looking at the diagram, I assume, but don't know for certain that the maintenance corridor is just an offshoot of the 1st floor (yellow) on Martin's diagram, going off to the left.

Last edited:

MattyMitch

Original Poster
I've actually been in the maintenance room on a tour a couple years ago.
It looks like a fairly normal professional garage and if I remember correctly takes up the bottom northwest corner of the show building with access to the parking garage and service alleys off of Cypress dr. Since all the vehicles are trackless, the computer simply tells them when to go to maintenance and the trundle down the corridor to the bays by themselves. I remember seeing black marks on the ground in and near the garage where the vehicles' wheels had run over the same paths, year after year.
Looking at the diagram, I assume, but don't know for certain that the maintenance corridor is just an offshoot of the 1st floor (yellow) on Martin's diagram, going off to the left.
Thats really cool! How did you get this tour? Am I correct in thinking that there is indicators for seatbelts to show the CM if they are all buckled?

Bairstow

Thats really cool! How did you get this tour? Am I correct in thinking that there is indicators for seatbelts to show the CM if they are all buckled?

It was part of the "Backstage Magic" tour package, which takes half a day and takes you all over property including the utlitidoors and Central Shops.

You might very well be correct about there being a seatbelt indicator board for the CM- I just don't remember seeing it.

MattyMitch

Original Poster
It was part of the "Backstage Magic" tour package, which takes half a day and takes you all over property including the utlitidoors and Central Shops.

You might very well be correct about there being a seatbelt indicator board for the CM- I just don't remember seeing it.
Cool, I remember seeing some sort of display on the bottom right in July

MattyMitch

Original Poster

Quick question, so is the maintenance bay located outside the 'hotel' or inside?

Rob562

I'll add a couple points:

There are two maintenance bays for Tower, one on each side. I've also seen lights-on photos showing that there are some tool cases and workbenches on the Unload level next to the Load shafts. Presumably it's so they can do simple maintenance and inspections on the vehicles when the ride is powered down rather than pull them into the maintenance bay.

Seatbelts do not have to be buckled when the vehicle leaves Unload. It's up to the CM working the Unload point to make sure the vehcile is clear of people and objects before they press the button that sends the car on its way. The ride system takes care of it from there.

-Rob

MattyMitch

Original Poster
I'll add a couple points:

There are two maintenance bays for Tower, one on each side. I've also seen lights-on photos showing that there are some tool cases and workbenches on the Unload level next to the Load shafts. Presumably it's so they can do simple maintenance and inspections on the vehicles when the ride is powered down rather than pull them into the maintenance bay.

Seatbelts do not have to be buckled when the vehicle leaves Unload. It's up to the CM working the Unload point to make sure the vehcile is clear of people and objects before they press the button that sends the car on its way. The ride system takes care of it from there.

-Rob
Thanks!

KikoKea

It took a great deal of courage to get on this ride the first time, and I spent the entire time clinging to my son, my head on his shoulder, eyes closed....and on the next ride...and the next. Now, I still hang on, but will open my eyes (a little) to see what's going on. So, this thread just set me back several year's worth of courage: the car we are in rolls into an elevator shaft? That means if the computer messes up and there isn't a floor/ride compartment there then....:in pain: We'll be there in 2 weeks. Might just skip ToT!

MattyMitch

Original Poster
It took a great deal of courage to get on this ride the first time, and I spent the entire time clinging to my son, my head on his shoulder, eyes closed....and on the next ride...and the next. Now, I still hang on, but will open my eyes (a little) to see what's going on. So, this thread just set me back several year's worth of courage: the car we are in rolls into an elevator shaft? That means if the computer messes up and there isn't a floor/ride compartment there then....:in pain: We'll be there in 2 weeks. Might just skip ToT!

Nah its safe though I do het nervous after 5th dimension
The reason the ride stops a lot is because if anything gets in the way of your safety it shuts down. The car is guided by a wire on the floor that tells the car what to do. Regular upkeep is always a bonus ;) I can't count how many times I have been on it and it has never broke down. If you want to see the technology I would suggest searching modern marvels tower of terror on youtube. I also thing there is a website that has all the safety features on as well.... Like if the cable snaps some polls stick in to the side of the shaft and if everythibg fails there is huge spring things at the bottom (I dont know what they are called ) You can also google ToT saftey features!!

Good Luck!!

KikoKea

Nah its safe though I do het nervous after 5th dimension
The reason the ride stops a lot is because if anything gets in the way of your safety it shuts down. The car is guided by a wire on the floor that tells the car what to do. Regular upkeep is always a bonus ;) I can't count how many times I have been on it and it has never broke down. If you want to see the technology I would suggest searching modern marvels tower of terror on youtube. I also thing there is a website that has all the safety features on as well.... Like if the cable snaps some polls stick in to the side of the shaft and if everythibg fails there is huge spring things at the bottom (I dont know what they are called ) You can also google ToT saftey features!!

Good Luck!!
Thanks. I"ll look up those websites- DH loves the ride and I'm only good for one drop a trip...barely. If I go on it this trip, I'll probably have a death grip on his arm. LOL

MattyMitch

Original Poster
Thanks. I"ll look up those websites- DH loves the ride and I'm only good for one drop a trip...barely. If I go on it this trip, I'll probably have a death grip on his arm. LOL

The half drops are the worst when they keep you there for a while I always get nervous but love it I enjoyed the websites gave me peace of mind. I also found the Tower Of Terror Lights on video quite cool, if you dont mind ruining the 'magic' a little you can see the track that the car goes along after you leave.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom