Windows 10

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The culprit seems to be these two background processes:
- From Microsoft Background Task Host - backgroundTaskHost.exe
- From Microsoft Download/Upload Host - BackgroundTransferHost.exe

The second one continues to appear and disappear from the list and is a pain to click on, but when I finally managed to and ended the task the CPU usage dropped back to normal.
Here is an article on those two processes.

The gist of it seems to be that those 2 processes need to run for a few days and will eventually stop. Stopping them will just start the process all over again. Since you are on a laptop set it not to sleep, plug it in and let it run for about 72 hours and the processes should quit on their own.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/a90e23a4-09d7-4cae-8649-106ee20ae291?auth=1

acishere

Here is an article on those two processes.

The gist of it seems to be that those 2 processes need to run for a few days and will eventually stop. Stopping them will just start the process all over again. Since you are on a laptop set it not to sleep, plug it in and let it run for about 72 hours and the processes should quit on their own.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/a90e23a4-09d7-4cae-8649-106ee20ae291?auth=1
Sadly the programs did not stop after that time and Microsoft customer support is either clueless or requires an insane waiting period. So I'm just going to go back to 8.1 before grace period is over. 10 isn't worth it if I don't have decent battery life.

Kramerica

I've installed it about a week ago on my rig. I'm liking it so far. The "Every other version of Windows" pattern continues. Not really seeing drastic performance improvement. Maybe a bump in four or five FPS on some game if any at all. But the UI looks clean and Cortana is cool enough.

StarWarsGirl

Well, there are officially no more computers running 8 or 8.1 in my house. After loading 10 onto my Surface, I decided it was much more intuitive, especially with a mouse and keyboard, and put it on both laptops, one of which is not a touch screen and was running 8 frustrating all who used it. In spite of a warning email from my college about how campus services would not work with 10, they seem to work just fine with 10 as long as I use Firefox. We still have one computer running 7.

I did notice a problem with battery life on my Surface after upgrading. I now turn the battery saver feature on whenever I use my Surface, and I can get about 8 hours with Wifi on and 10 hours with Wifi off. So not too bad. It gets me through the school day. The other issue I had was my display driver failing periodically. That issue also seems to be resolved.

Now I must remember to use the multiple desktops feature for school. Seems like it will help with the problem of working on different things for different classes and then not being able to find anything. Or wonder how looking up a word for Spanish got to be looking at cat photos on Facebook.

G00fyDad

bat.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom