Disney No Longer Including Appetizers for Deluxe Dining Plan

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Sorry- like I said- never been a server :)

I do know that id very much prefer to not have someone who is ok making minimum wage because that's the only job they can get to serve me when I'm paying $200+ for a meal for my family at Jiko.

Guys like him are unbelievable. I can't believe people like that exist sometimes. Although there's people who crap on streets and get in fights over $4 toasters on Black Friday, so nothing should shock me when it comes to low/no class.
Based on the way he spelled "cheque", I'm going to assume he's not from the US and may not be familiar with how our tipping culture/wages work. In the UK/Australia tipping is not something that occurs.as regularly there in restaurants (especially Australia).

I could be mistaken though. Not sure if Canadians use that spelling (pretty sure they don't though). Americans would say "check" or "bill", but generally never "cheque".

AEfx

Tipping or a gratuity is optional, if it wasn't it would be included in the cheque.

If I got free dining, I wouldn't tip on food I didn't pay for. Tip on what you were charged.

If you don't like it then you don't work for a place which gives 'free' meals....or one that requires tips.

The server still gets paid either way.

No, they don't.

As you obviously are not from the US, I'll remind you of a really good piece of advice that starts with, "When in Rome..."

When you are in a different country, you respect their customs. Yes, at it's base, it's absurd. We all know that. But it's how nearly every restaurant with a server works in the US.

If you are not willing to follow our dining customs, you should simply not eat in the restaurants here. Your "protest" against the customs of the country are going to change nothing, but hurt the person who is serving you. Particularly at a place as demanding to work at as a WDW restaurant.

Based on the way he spelled "cheque", I'm going to assume he's not from the US and may not be familiar with how our tipping culture/wages work. In the UK/Australia tipping is not something that occurs.as regularly there in restaurants (especially Australia).

He's perfectly aware of our cultural and economic customs, however, you'll find a certain segment of people (particularly from that country who is still mad we dumped their tea in the harbor and revolted) enjoy being "militant" about it because they think it's a stupid custom.

At it's base, it is - but it's a long-standing cultural tradition that is so deeply entrenched that laws and regulations are written that include it, it is what it is. It's part of all our service professions, because as Americans we don't tend to treat those who provide service as "servants" (at least if you are raised properly).

If I was feeling immature, I'd make some comments about some of the frilly, silly little customs that they have over there - but I'm in a generous mood this morning and won't. ;)

Cosmic Commando

This is very true, and the chefs (well, most of them) seem to love it. Particularly if you have marked on your reservation your requirements, they will often have a totally unique dish built for you. The reason they like it is because they make the same dang 5 dishes all the time and welcome the chance to make something new and different and exercise their chef skills and creativity. I've had a few experiences with friends but I've also read countless ones where people just raved about it - you rarely hear folks (even those that don't put it on the reservation) complain about it once they let them know.
This is one area where I don't think they've cut back at all. I don't think I've heard a bad thing about Disney and allergies. Thankfully, it doesn't have the same benefit for someone to lie about that the GAC or DAS did/does (although the allergy-free chicken tenders were mighty tasty back in 2008). My son was dealing with allergies back then, and someone from Boma called me a week or two before my trip to see if I had any questions and to reassure me that there wouldn't be a problem accommodating us. The chefs and servers were all great.

BrerJon

Sorry- like I said- never been a server :)

I do know that id very much prefer to not have someone who is ok making minimum wage because that's the only job they can get to serve me when I'm paying $200+ for a meal for my family at Jiko.

Guys like him are unbelievable. I can't believe people like that exist sometimes. Although there's people who crap on streets and get in fights over $4 toasters on Black Friday, so nothing should shock me when it comes to low/no class.

There's also a huge difference between someone waiting tables at Applebee's or wherever because it's an easy job to chip in for car repayments, and a server in a quality Disney restaurant who would be highly trained, usually a graduate (as CPs usually can't do tipped roles), have to pass extensive testing before they're allowed to serve guests and is often working at WDW for the experience and love of guests and the parks, foregoing a larger pay packet elsewhere to do so, as opposed to not being able to get a job elsewhere.

Sure there are bad servers anywhere, and everyone has off days, or days when other factors mean they can't provide the service they'd like to, but for the most part I think it's quite obvious that Disney servers are of a higher calibre, so it's only fair to tip accordingy.

BrerJon

Tipping or a gratuity is optional, if it wasn't it would be included in the cheque.

If I got free dining, I wouldn't tip on food I didn't pay for. Tip on what you were charged.

If you don't like it then you don't work for a place which gives 'free' meals....or one that requires tips.

Firstly the restaurant doesn't offer free meals, Disney just re-imburses you for what you would have paid for the plan, so on the restaurant books it would still go through as a payment.

Secondly the tip is a service charge, not a tax on the food... a percentage of the food total is used as a rough guide for convenience, but a server who has had to bring ten glasses of water and five cups of soup has had to do a lot of work, even if you're check didn't come to much, so if you don't tip a percentage at least try to tip for the amount of work they have done.

The server makes no profit from your meal, and only makes a minimum wage without tips, yet is providing above minimum wage service on the assumption that people will tip. Of course it's your right not to, but as a visitor to a country, wherever you are... Japan, Europe, South America... it's considered good manners as a traveler to fit in with local customs, and for better or worse, the local custom in the USA is to tip what would be considered a huge amount elsewhere, and menu prices will have been set to factor this in.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Jumpin Jeosephat, I distinctly remember someone saying Boma could not be 48 bucks+Tax when I was there I'm sure glad I missed the 'peak pricing' option of $59.99 for a BUFFET!!!!. I find that pricing for what you are getting these days to be OBSCENE, not merely 'overpriced'. When I saw 48 bucks+tax PP I simply headed to the Mara and got some African Stew $9 bucks and some butternut squash soup 4 bucks.

I was very sad that day as Boma has always been one of my favorites but there was no way I could justify to myself spending that much for a BUFFET. Passed on Jiko as DW and parents do not have very sophisticated palate's so the Mara got a lot of business from us in May.
It is why we stopped going, shame too because we loved the place. When I can pay about the same or less at Jiko or Sanna, Boma falls to the bottom of the list.

FrostyNaples

Is it possible this was simply the 3rd party restaurants renegotiating hard this time around?

Think about it. If that dinning plan used to include the app, maybe Disney simple bundled that in with what they were paying the restaurant back with the credit system.

So now, the restaurants will actually get the revenue appropriately from the app's direct from the customer?

Just thinking, maybe someone knows more about how the credit system works internally to paying back the third party restaurants, which most of them are, not being owned by Disney.

I just think maybe we are looking at it the wrong way. If Disney was getting away with the "bundle" all these years, and now due to negotiations the restaurants want that income, they are passing the buck to the patrons in order to do so? As in Disney never paid out on the apps, and they surely aren't going to start now.

:cat:

SYRIK2000

These people are catering to your every whim and getting paid crap to do it. TIP Cheapskate!!!!!!

doctornick

They raised it to $125 the last year I was part of the program. Used to be the Disney Dining Experience.

$125 a year for restaurants you cant get into? Only thing I ended up using it for was free valet at the resort bars.

It's $100 for AP and DVC members. $125 for Florida residents.

I always wondered how many Florida residents would buy TiW but not have an AP. It would seem to me that TiW would only make sense as a local if you were also an AP. Because if you are going to the parks frequently enough to get value from a TiW card, wouldn't the AP be a benefit over the regular (Florida resident) tickets?

doctornick

:jawdrop:

Um, what? This has got to be a parody, right?

NCO91590

I always wondered how many Florida residents would buy TiW but not have an AP. It would seem to me that TiW would only make sense as a local if you were also an AP. Because if you are going to the parks frequently enough to get value from a TiW card, wouldn't the AP be a benefit over the regular (Florida resident) tickets?

Question: If my mom is the DVC member, and I'm staying on points, can I get a TiW card?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Here's another WDW money saving tip with regards to food - set up a sustainable farm with a herd of animal that produces meat you enjoy. For example, if you enjoy turkey bacon, then you would want a herd of turkeys. Your sustainable farm can be planted and maintained on any of the out of way bits of land that are located around WDW. I have mine on the outskirts of Pop. It is a half acre of lemons, oranges, carrots, guavas, peanuts, limes, and wheat. I augment a CMs income to maintain the farm for me whilst I am out of town. I should note, that anything you want, but aren't growing can be obtained by going on the Behind the Seeds tour and yelling "look over there" at key points during the tour giving you a few precious seconds to "harvest".

Question: If my mom is the DVC member, and I'm staying on points, can I get a TiW card?
You'd need to show your DVC membership card and another piece of ID so they know it is you. So, if you have the same name as your mom, maybe. If you are the same gender and have the same name, but look different than your mom I would discreetly place my finger over the bit of the ID that has the picture of the aforementioned mother on it. If you are a different gender, but your mom has a name that can be made into a masculine name by, say, lopping off the end (Fredette, for example), then you can hold a finger over the picture and another over the letters that feminize the name. If you don't look like your mom, are a different gender, and she doesn't have a name that can be turned into a more masculine form (say, @Laura ) then I would discreetly pickpocket a TiW card from someone who has the exact same name. For example, if your name is Ozbert Hornpipe, all you need to do is befriend another Ozbert Hornpipe and then at some point, steal their TiW card. Of course, if they don't have a TiW card, you may have to talk them into purchasing one.

SYRIK2000

I just talked to a CM on reservation line. She said they told her the appetizer has been removed from the Deluxe Dining Plan. But you can substitute the dessert for an appetizer if you choose at most restaurants.

BernardandBianca

The only rationale I could think of is if you have an Epcot After 4 pass, then maybe you wouldn't have a regular AP and would still benefit from the TIW. (Of course, the TIW is good at most resort table service restaurants, so that might also work.)

Mouse_Trap

I've never been a server but your assumptions and entire post are ridiculous. They get paid peanuts (well less than minimum wage- I believe around a 3rd of minimum wage) and fully rely on tips.

"If you don't like it then don't work for a place that requires tips". I don't even know what to say to that.

Here's hoping you or your family never have to wait tables and that all your customers are just like you.

You're spending thousands of dollars of dollars on a trip and you can't pay somebody $15 on a $100 tab?
There's a word for that- actually several- entitled, selfish, inconsiderate, clueless, rude, cheap, etc.

As others have pointed out, everyone is guarantee at least the minimum wage. They are required by law to-do so.
Waiting tables, working minimum wage jobs....yup, been there and done that for something like 5 years or more.
I pay what I think the service is worth, if it's rubbish then it's a rubbish tip. If it's great service then they get a great tip. The amount of money I'm spending on the trip is completely irrelevant.
Erm, no none of them actually.

I guess you have never heard the phrase that "there is no free lunch"?

Free dining is not really free... You are certainly paying for it in other ways. You may not see it but Disney is certainly getting money for the food you are stuffing your face with.

By stiffing the servers your are just being exactly what @andysol so eloquently described.

I know it's not really free, that's why I put the word 'free' in inverted commas in my original post.
It's not stiffing servers at all, their employer should pay their basic wage. If you're employer doesn't pay you, well I certainly would work from them.
I tip for good to great service. If I get great service they get a great tip.

No, they don't.

As you obviously are not from the US, I'll remind you of a really good piece of advice that starts with, "When in Rome..."

When you are in a different country, you respect their customs. Yes, at it's base, it's absurd. We all know that. But it's how nearly every restaurant with a server works in the US.

If you are not willing to follow our dining customs, you should simply not eat in the restaurants here. Your "protest" against the customs of the country are going to change nothing, but hurt the person who is serving you. Particularly at a place as demanding to work at as a WDW restaurant.

He's perfectly aware of our cultural and economic customs, however, you'll find a certain segment of people (particularly from that country who is still mad we dumped their tea in the harbor and revolted) enjoy being "militant" about it because they think it's a stupid custom.

At it's base, it is - but it's a long-standing cultural tradition that is so deeply entrenched that laws and regulations are written that include it, it is what it is. It's part of all our service professions, because as Americans we don't tend to treat those who provide service as "servants" (at least if you are raised properly).

If I was feeling immature, I'd make some comments about some of the frilly, silly little customs that they have over there - but I'm in a generous mood this morning and won't. ;)

Here's one lesson I was taught in the hospitality industry, though it's applicable to all service jobs. When you target overseas customers, you cater and allow for their customs - you don't expect them to know, understand and follow all of your own. Laws are different, they are required to be understood and followed by the visitor.
If you wish to require certain practices, then you make them a requirement i.e. a mandatory 15% tip is included; all male patrons will wear a shirt etc.

Funny, I don't see any signs up saying 'low tippers not welcome here', and how demanding a job is is wholly irrelevant to a tip level. Demanding jobs should be rewarded by the employer.

Lastly, your colonial rant is very funny. Really, there is nobody in the UK who thinks like that, I don't think 90%+ of the population would even know what the Boston Tea Party was....Well actually many only know it to be a small chain of cafes' with about 20 locations across the country. No-one is being militant about tips, really their not. The attittude is well they are making at least minimum wage, I'm not tipping maybe $30-50 each meal just for someone to do the basic requirements of their job. They don't tip the guy at the front gate, nor the parking attendants, the guy standing at the FP merge line...what's the difference? They're all doing their job.

No, we don't treat service workers as servants. Here, we pay staff their minimum wage (at the very least) and all tips are on top.

Pete256

i just got back and was talking to my mouse made simple representative and she DID VERIFY with Disney appetizers are gone from table service - This is sad for us becase we like sigature dining and did table service lunch and signature dinners and roughed it for breakfast. The desserts do appeal to us - right now we will get sorbet or something small and eat 1/2 at most - she cannot verify pricing for sure, but she thinks it did not go down. Quite honestly, Deluxe is the only plan that made any sense to us as we despise fast food, including our kid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom