Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Beholder

I find all this as a depressing way to measure the passage of time. Growing children, new jobs/careers, and life's typical passages are the usual ways I mark the passing of the years, not how much time Disney hasn't done anything. Years. Lots of years have come and gone. I know things are coming, but measuring progress at a theme park in years is painful. For me anyway.

articos

Is that a good or bad thing in this case? The 7 Dwarfs Mine Train looked considerably better in the concept art than the final version. Kind of tiresome getting concept art that thoroughly outclass the actual attractions.

I'm not investing any hope until I hear the final budget approved for this project, and of course what sort of attractions will be included. I don't want them to squander this opportunity on a ton of crappy carnival rides like Toy Story Playland, I want some good quality rides for a change. TSP is is rumored as the most likely to occur at this point, and probably the first to be built. But it sure as heck better not be close to the only thing we end up getting in the end (and hopefully it doesn't eat into the budget substantially). I'd prefer not to have Toy Story Playland at all, but that wish is unlikely to come true.
I tend to say concept art always looks better than what's built, but that's the nature of the beast. Unless it's a crappy artist. And I was mostly joking, not referring to DHS in particular. :) But in this case, I think people will be happy with what ends up happening.

Next Big Thing

I tend to say concept art always looks better than what's built, but that's the nature of the beast. Unless it's a crappy artist. And I was mostly joking, not referring to DHS in particular. :) But in this case, I think people will be happy with what ends up happening.
When about will things start to happen?

articos

When about will things start to happen?
Short answer: they already have. Longer answer, and not an official answer, but if I were to say: Magic Eight Ball says next year, but your mileage may vary. Lots of things weigh in on start dates that make them very changeable. Items may continue to trickle for a bit, and some pieces may get going after summer. Or they may wait until after holidays. There's things happening behind the curtain, though.

Next Big Thing

Short answer: they already have. Longer answer, and not an official answer, but if I were to say: Magic Eight Ball says next year, but your mileage may vary. Lots of things weigh in on start dates that make them very changeable.
I don't mean closing things without replacing with anything, so i'll go with the next year answer.

I've heard that Star Wars construction won't start until close to when Avatar should be wrapping up, so I wouldn't be surprised if we are just seeing site prep for it in late 2016.

articos

I don't mean closing things without replacing with anything, so i'll go with the next year answer.

I've heard that Star Wars construction won't start until close to when Avatar should be wrapping up, so I wouldn't be surprised if we are just seeing site prep for it in late 2016.
Once Hub is complete and more of Springs is completed, more visible items may start happening in Studios. The bulk of the work will likely wait until Avatar is further along. But Avatar will likely see a lot of progress over the next 6 months.

Last edited:

Kman101

Glad to hear a plan at least still exists for this park, even if it is moving SLOWER than a glacier at this point. I don't know why they can't work on the park while working on Avatar (which has been on-going for a while now) or even Disney Springs (another project that has been going on for years now) and even the hub at the MK. They CAN do multiple projects at once. Heck, three of the four parks had walls in it's hub at the same time. It's just confusing to me how they can work on multiple things at once but then say they want to wait until other projects are near done. I don't get it. Why do they keep stalling? Because special events bring in the crowds so they can keep delaying? LOL

And with Dave posting crowd numbers in the other thread, I've wondered what those numbers for Epcot would look like if not for the festivals half of the year.

flyerjab

I know that I've said this before, but I love your posts. It is amazing how much of a positive feel you generate with so few words (and I do understand that you can only ever say so much). :)

Mike S

Every day, I check these forums for good news about Disney.
Every day, I end up disappointed and frustrated in Disney.

Why do I get my hopes up every single day?
Because one day, I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Unfortunately, today is not that day. Maybe tomorrow...
Fixed that for you. There has been plenty of great news recently, just none about Disney.

Cesar R M

Is that a good or bad thing in this case? The 7 Dwarfs Mine Train looked considerably better in the concept art than the final version. Kind of tiresome getting concept art that thoroughly outclass the actual attractions.

I'm not investing any hope until I hear the final budget approved for this project, and of course what sort of attractions will be included. I don't want them to squander this opportunity on a ton of crappy carnival rides like Toy Story Playland, I want some good quality rides for a change. TSP is is rumored as the most likely to occur at this point, and probably the first to be built. But it sure as heck better not be close to the only thing we end up getting in the end (and hopefully it doesn't eat into the budget substantially). I'd prefer not to have Toy Story Playland at all, but that wish is unlikely to come true.
thats what I fear about Avatar. :(

Cesar R M

Glad to hear a plan at least still exists for this park, even if it is moving SLOWER than a glacier at this point. I don't know why they can't work on the park while working on Avatar (which has been on-going for a while now) or even Disney Springs (another project that has been going on for years now) and even the hub at the MK. They CAN do multiple projects at once. Heck, three of the four parks had walls in it's hub at the same time. It's just confusing to me how they can work on multiple things at once but then say they want to wait until other projects are near done. I don't get it. Why do they keep stalling? Because special events bring in the crowds so they can keep delaying? LOL

And with Dave posting crowd numbers in the other thread, I've wondered what those numbers for Epcot would look like if not for the festivals half of the year.
the problem is spreading the costs in multiple financial quarters.

our beloved ladder as no help, and only moves to one park at a time.

mahnamahna101

What's sad is that any sort of quality rebuild for DHS is going to cost $2-2.5 billion in order to make a substantial impact on the overall park experience.

So many bottlenecks (the whole SoA area, RnRC/ToT, Animation Courtyard is pretty much closed off from the rest of the park)
Convoluted park layout
Lack of C/D tickets
Lack of immersion

A lot of good ideas on here. Lots of ways to improve the park.
  1. Toontown in between Animation Courtyard and RnRC (includes a Sorcerer's Apprentice boat ride, Plane Crazy family coaster, Chip n' Dale flat ride, M&G and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse play area)
  2. Sunset expansion (Mystic Manor-esque ride)
  3. Pixar Place expansion (Fantasyland-style dark rides themed to Monsters Inc and Up, Junkyard Jamboree clone and Flo's, retheme of HITSK to Up, Ratatouille table-service, Incredibles E-ticket utilizing Twister ride system)
  4. Muppets mini-land (Fantasyland-style dark ride themed to the Muppets, Muppet Mobile Labs, Gonzo pizza parlor to replace Pizza Planet, Swedish Chef to replace Mama Melrose, Electric Mayhem streetmosphere show)
  5. Star Wars land (E-ticket Speeder Bike coaster, expanded Jedi Training Academy, Ewok play area, X-Wing flat ride, Death Star Omnimover, Mos Eisley)
  6. Indiana Jones mini-land (stunt show replaced with E-ticket EMV boat ride)
  7. Upgrade for RnRC (better theming, more interactivity)
  8. Upgrade for GMR (new scenes, a grand finale with AAs, improved AAs and a happy medium between on-board audio and the CM spiel)
  9. Replacements for Little Mermaid and B&TB
With that, you get
4 new E-tickets (Speeder Bike, Indy boat ride, Mystic Manor clone, Incredibles)
2 D-tickets (Plane Crazy and Death Star)
4 C-tickets (Sorcerer's Apprentice, Muppets, Cars, Up)
5 A/B tickets (Chip n' Dale, MMC play area, Junkyard Jamboree, X-Wing, Ewok)

The park goes from having 15 attractions to 31 attractions. Suddenly, DHS is a gem, rather than a blemish. It's too bad TDO has cornered themselves into having no choice but to spend $3-3.5 billion in order to ever reach this point. :(

odmichael

Out of curiosity, has Disney started construction on Pixar/Cars land or Star Wars land? If not, this is a real shame...
There really is no reason to visit this park at all. I haven't been to Disney World in 4 years and the only semi-recent thing that I haven't seen in this park is the new Star Tours and while I am an uber Star Wars fan, it's just not enough motivation.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Out of curiosity, has Disney started construction on Pixar/Cars land or Star Wars land? If not, this is a real shame...
There really is no reason to visit this park at all. I haven't been to Disney World in 4 years and the only semi-recent thing that I haven't seen in this park is the new Star Tours and while I am an uber Star Wars fan, it's just not enough motivation.
Was there a few weeks ago and still had props on the back lot tour. there where 2 storage containers insight but might have been for merchandise for SWW.

Disney6166

the problem is spreading the costs in multiple financial quarters.

our beloved ladder as no help, and only moves to one park at a time.
That absolutely is the truth about spreading the payments over the quarters. TDO is spending money at Disney Springs, Avatar, finishing up at Magic Kingdom with the Hub Development, and Animal Kingdom is 3/4 of the way walled off, and they just spent probably $100,000 to remove the Sorcerer Hat. So getting money for DHS is probably about 18 months away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom