River Country, the end?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I'd be willing to bet it will not be torn down until there is something slated to go onto the property. There were plans a few years ago for a Ft. wilderness DVC, which if true might cause them to tear it down. Until they HAVE to though, they will leave it as is.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'd be willing to bet it will not be torn down until there is something slated to go onto the property. There were plans a few years ago for a Ft. wilderness DVC, which if true might cause them to tear it down. Until they HAVE to though, they will leave it as is.
It appears to me that the fate of RC is one of those questions like "Is the yeti being fixed?", we won't know until it actually happens.

Tom

Beta Return

I agree, unless the new WLV cabins will offer a "better" view of it, then perhaps they'd clean up the eyesore a bit.

P_Radden

Just looked it up, never knew it was called that or in fact was that. Any idea why they closed it?

From LostEpcot:

"The Odyssey opened with the rest of the park in 1982 as a restaurant and complex. Technically part of Future World, it sits in the transition zone between Future World and World Showcase (between Test Track and Mexico).

The restaurant served hot dogs, hamburgers, and salads for lunch, and beef stew, fried clams, and sweet and sour chicken for dinner. During the late 80s and early 90s, there was also a live show with characters to entertain guests at the restaurant called "Mickey's Rockin' Celebration." The Odyssey also housed first aid, baby services, and lost children.

In July 1994, the Odyssey Restaurant closed, with the building only to be used for special events (the restrooms and services can still be used by everyday guests, though). Currently, the Odyssey is listed as the "Odyssey Center" on the Epcot guide map."

Its basically used for group events like cheer leading competitions, high school bands etc...

I too wish it could be refurbished and reopened to guests.

blueboxdoctor

From LostEpcot:

"The Odyssey opened with the rest of the park in 1982 as a restaurant and complex. Technically part of Future World, it sits in the transition zone between Future World and World Showcase (between Test Track and Mexico).

The restaurant served hot dogs, hamburgers, and salads for lunch, and beef stew, fried clams, and sweet and sour chicken for dinner. During the late 80s and early 90s, there was also a live show with characters to entertain guests at the restaurant called "Mickey's Rockin' Celebration." The Odyssey also housed first aid, baby services, and lost children.

In July 1994, the Odyssey Restaurant closed, with the building only to be used for special events (the restrooms and services can still be used by everyday guests, though). Currently, the Odyssey is listed as the "Odyssey Center" on the Epcot guide map."

Its basically used for group events like cheer leading competitions, high school bands etc...

I too wish it could be refurbished and reopened to guests.

Yeah, because right now, to the average person, it just seems like a giant abandoned building, which is not an image you want in a park. But I think the main issue is the front of EPCOT is so spread out that to have an empty building in there makes it seem even more spread out and empty.

JIMINYCR

No reason Dis needs to expend the money to demolish and haul away the building material until they start construction on a replacement project. Then the cost to do so will be included in the new project estimate. Until then it sits and deteriorates further and no one cares about it....except the occasional trespasser who wants the thrill of venturing over there to say they did it.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Original Poster
They need to just bull doze RC, and either let it be a natural swamp again, or put something neat there like a new water park.;)
I agree on the tear it down point. Its just sitting there, rotting away. It used to be so cool in its heyday.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just looked it up, never knew it was called that or in fact was that. Any idea why they closed it?
To save money.

They added the upper floor in what became Electric Umbrella to try and squeeze more guests into the space but only use the same kitchen size and same amount of registers as before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom