A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mike S

Spirited 24-Hour Day Musing:

First, apologies, but I won't be commenting on China and the Tomorrowland debut until post the holiday weekend.

I did want to chime in regarding what is now an annual event (even though Disney won't tell you so, in case they decide in 2019 to not hold the 24-hour kickoff to summer) though after talking to some people who were in Anaheim and getting an interesting note regarding MK.

BTW, I've only done this event once. Last year, Angie and I wrapped up a week in Anaheim by spending our last full day and night at the parks. No, didn't get up early. I think we arrived at the parks around 10:30 in the morning. Crowds weren't bad at all until late afternoon. But by about 6 p.m., they really picked up. Angie headed back to the Grand Cali about 11:30 when DL was packed. I was going to ride Pirates, but saw a 40-minute wait and realized that I'm a bit too old for the whole scene and left for the villa. I doubt I'll ever do the event again ...on either coast. You need to be young or someone like @WDWFigment, who doesn't need sleep, to fully enjoy it. I'm only young at heart and I need a good 8-9 hours of slumber every night. It might be worth it if they had the event in Tokyo (they do have an all-night party on NYE at TDL, but it isn't a 24-hour deal and requires a special ticket ... and now I think Mr. Bricker may add this to his 'To Do' list!)

But back to Friday/Saturday ...

Apparently, DLR Ops screwed the masses royally on this one, as they have been known to do. DCA packed to the gills all night, while DL was virtually empty post fireworks. Fights out in the Esplanade. No organization. No crowd control.

I'm very curious to see if any of the social media whores (many of whom were flown out to Anaheim and given free rooms and free ... well, everything except crystal meth!) will actually give Anaheim officials the rightful bashing they deserve. You don't throw a party and then act shocked when lots of people actually show up (unless, perhaps, you're a fanboi).

That brings us to the swamps. And the MK where the 24-hour day sorta passed like the proverbial tree falling in the forest.

If you think the two paragraphs above have nothing in common, then you truly have no concept of how Disney uses and abuses social media in 2015.

A kind Spirit in WDW operations told me that ''we treated the day like simply an extended EMH night. That was what we were told to do going back months. We had a meeting months ago where [exec name withheld] told us that with all the new offerings Disneyland was premiering that the social media contingent, his/her word, not mined [sic], would all be out in Anaheim and that the purpose for the events is to utilize social media engagement to get free publicity for our summer. No considerable social media presence meant no need to actually try [and] put on a good show. The guests and fans didn't really factor into this. If we weren't ordered by Burbank to have this event, then we wouldn't have. I think anyone who attended got the idea we were going through the motions. They were right as that's all we were doing.''

So, there you have it. WDW went thru the motions because WDW management thought that was what they could get away with. Anyone spend yesterday in the Swamp Kingdom? I have a few friends who I think were going, but not sure.

BTW, apologies for accusing WDW's Top BRAND Advocate of whoring his way to Anaheim. I've been told that Lou Mongello was at WDW instead for some seminar (why do I sense a Scamway presentation?) for young leaders, so he was not at DL.

Also, been told that the new WoC is truly weak. That is lacks flow and has hugely out of place Frozen (yes, Let It Go!) and Star Wars (We're home Chewie!) segments. Sorry, but Walt had zero to do with either of these franchises. And even using DL as a jumping off point, that's still quite tenuous. But, hey they did remove a Marvel segment (no, I'm sadly not kidding!) This show was shoved down Steve Davison's throat (insert fanboi joke of your choice) by marketing people who truly have no idea what they are even selling.

Anyway, enjoy those few morsels and a safe and happy long weekend to all ... and, maybe, you could just think for five minutes of the weekend about what it symbolizes beyond picnics, beer and baseball. (or hockey if you just watched the marathon Ducks and Blackhawks game).
I went to the first 24 hour party that at least seemed like it meant something because it was on Leap Day. Now that it's every year and before summer I'm not surprised it's just for publicity. There is another way to get some great publicity for the summer: OPENING AN AMAZING NEW ATTRACTION!!!!! :banghead:

Wait, what was that? Ooooooh, you said free publicity. Motto of the current WDW, "Get your money for nothing, tourists for free."

ETA: This was posted by @drew81 and I'd say it fits pretty well :hilarious:
image.jpg

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Ohhhhhhhh Phil....... I'm waiting for you to address my question. Whats wrong Phil, why cant you answer my very simple question?

You're still talking in circles there. I'd like to hear your thoughts here on the specifics beyond a simple "China hates Westernization." Thats simple beyond belief, ranks up there with "The sun rises every day in the East"

So please, explain the simple explanation that you say we're all missing.

If thats your argument, that reinforces what I'm saying with either: Iger capitulating to keep from ruffling feathers or he's being forced to capitulate in order to do business in China. Either way, Disney isn't calling the shots in China whatsoever.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ohhhhhhhh Phil....... I'm waiting for you to address my question. Whats wrong Phil, why cant you answer my very simple question?

You're still talking in circles there. I'd like to hear your thoughts here on the specifics beyond a simple "China hates Westernization." Thats simple beyond belief, ranks up there with "The sun rises every day in the East"

If thats your argument, that reinforces what I'm saying with either: Iger capitulating to keep from ruffling feathers or he's being forced to capitulate in order to do business in China. Either way, Disney isn't calling the shots in China whatsoever.

And both are valid reasons why the unflattering story about entry to China needed to be spiked

cheezbat

Spirited 24-Hour Day Musing:

First, apologies, but I won't be commenting on China and the Tomorrowland debut until post the holiday weekend.

I did want to chime in regarding what is now an annual event (even though Disney won't tell you so, in case they decide in 2019 to not hold the 24-hour kickoff to summer) though after talking to some people who were in Anaheim and getting an interesting note regarding MK.

BTW, I've only done this event once. Last year, Angie and I wrapped up a week in Anaheim by spending our last full day and night at the parks. No, didn't get up early. I think we arrived at the parks around 10:30 in the morning. Crowds weren't bad at all until late afternoon. But by about 6 p.m., they really picked up. Angie headed back to the Grand Cali about 11:30 when DL was packed. I was going to ride Pirates, but saw a 40-minute wait and realized that I'm a bit too old for the whole scene and left for the villa. I doubt I'll ever do the event again ...on either coast. You need to be young or someone like @WDWFigment, who doesn't need sleep, to fully enjoy it. I'm only young at heart and I need a good 8-9 hours of slumber every night. It might be worth it if they had the event in Tokyo (they do have an all-night party on NYE at TDL, but it isn't a 24-hour deal and requires a special ticket ... and now I think Mr. Bricker may add this to his 'To Do' list!)

But back to Friday/Saturday ...

Apparently, DLR Ops screwed the masses royally on this one, as they have been known to do. DCA packed to the gills all night, while DL was virtually empty post fireworks. Fights out in the Esplanade. No organization. No crowd control.

I'm very curious to see if any of the social media whores (many of whom were flown out to Anaheim and given free rooms and free ... well, everything except crystal meth!) will actually give Anaheim officials the rightful bashing they deserve. You don't throw a party and then act shocked when lots of people actually show up (unless, perhaps, you're a fanboi).

That brings us to the swamps. And the MK where the 24-hour day sorta passed like the proverbial tree falling in the forest.

If you think the two paragraphs above have nothing in common, then you truly have no concept of how Disney uses and abuses social media in 2015.

A kind Spirit in WDW operations told me that ''we treated the day like simply an extended EMH night. That was what we were told to do going back months. We had a meeting months ago where [exec name withheld] told us that with all the new offerings Disneyland was premiering that the social media contingent, his/her word, not mined [sic], would all be out in Anaheim and that the purpose for the events is to utilize social media engagement to get free publicity for our summer. No considerable social media presence meant no need to actually try [and] put on a good show. The guests and fans didn't really factor into this. If we weren't ordered by Burbank to have this event, then we wouldn't have. I think anyone who attended got the idea we were going through the motions. They were right as that's all we were doing.''

So, there you have it. WDW went thru the motions because WDW management thought that was what they could get away with. Anyone spend yesterday in the Swamp Kingdom? I have a few friends who I think were going, but not sure.

BTW, apologies for accusing WDW's Top BRAND Advocate of whoring his way to Anaheim. I've been told that Lou Mongello was at WDW instead for some seminar (why do I sense a Scamway presentation?) for young leaders, so he was not at DL.

Also, been told that the new WoC is truly weak. That is lacks flow and has hugely out of place Frozen (yes, Let It Go!) and Star Wars (We're home Chewie!) segments. Sorry, but Walt had zero to do with either of these franchises. And even using DL as a jumping off point, that's still quite tenuous. But, hey they did remove a Marvel segment (no, I'm sadly not kidding!) This show was shoved down Steve Davison's throat (insert fanboi joke of your choice) by marketing people who truly have no idea what they are even selling.

Anyway, enjoy those few morsels and a safe and happy long weekend to all ... and, maybe, you could just think for five minutes of the weekend about what it symbolizes beyond picnics, beer and baseball. (or hockey if you just watched the marathon Ducks and Blackhawks game).
I was out in California during the week...decided to hit up Disneyland Wednesday and Thursday and skip the 24 hour event. It's a good thing I did. We stayed at a hotel off Katella and traffic was a nightmare all day. Even walking around the streets I heard so many angry fans who had either endured crowds till their breaking point, or were turned away from DL. With all the profanities I heard I felt like I was in a packed Magic Kingdom in WDW! Lol

Friends of mine went to MK's 24 hour party and told me it was also a storm of trouble. They had to park at Epcot and get shuttled to MK. Wait times were as bad as ever, tons of rude angry guests, and cast members that obviously didnt want to be there.

I personally think these events should be discontinued.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was out in California during the week...decided to hit up Disneyland Wednesday and Thursday and skip the 24 hour event. It's a good thing I did. We stayed at a hotel off Katella and traffic was a nightmare all day. Even walking around the streets I heard so many angry fans who had either endured crowds till their breaking point, or were turned away from DL. With all the profanities I heard I felt like I was in a packed Magic Kingdom in WDW! Lol

Friends of mine went to MK's 24 hour party and told me it was also a storm of trouble. They had to park at Epcot and get shuttled to MK. Wait times were as bad as ever, tons of rude angry guests, and cast members that obviously didnt want to be there.

The scheduling of the CM's probably has a lot to do with their attitude, how would you like to be scheduled from say 6pm to midnight along with everyone else working strange hours so no OT need be paid, it's not going to make for a happy workforce.

It very much speaks to the contempt management has towards the front line CM, they are seen as interchangeable machine parts with no life rather than the key element to a great guest experience.

PhotoDave219

Well the 24 hour party in California was also Disneyland's 60th. From local reports, it was a disaster outside with it being at phase four from 4pm onwards.

Basically, if you didn't get there early.... You simply didn't get in.

Such is the issue of having 1 Million pass holders.

As for Florida? At this point if management isn't expecting these to happen every year, they're clueless and need to be replaced.

doctornick

But Disney is the minority owner, so doesn't it follow that the wouldn't be "calling the shots"? I guess I'm still confused as to what the issue is. It doesn't seem like anyone things that China is going to just "steal" the resort from Disney but will continue to honor their business arrangement.

I would imagine that TWDC's expectations for Shanghai are to make some profits and expand awareness the Disney brand to a huge/growing market in mainland China. Now, there can be legitimate debate as to whether this is the best way or even a good way to achieve these goals, but I would suspect that an arrangement like this was probably the only realistic way to open up a Disney park in mainland China.

Do people think that this arrangement is going to lose a lot of money for Disney? If it doesn't, I don't think it matters that Iger has to avoid the limelight in China and let the local folks there be the face of the project. Maybe it matter to Iger and his ego, but I don't give a crap about that.

Now, if people want to make the claim that Disney not running things is going to cause SDL to be unsuccessful and lose a ton of money, that would be a concern (for the company, stockholder, and for us fans who want the P&R division to have revenue to reinvest). But I don't think anyone is really making that prediction.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But Disney is the minority owner, so doesn't it follow that the wouldn't be "calling the shots"? I guess I'm still confused as to what the issue is. It doesn't seem like anyone things that China is going to just "steal" the resort from Disney but will continue to honor their business arrangement.

I would imagine that TWDC's expectations for Shanghai are to make some profits and expand awareness the Disney brand to a huge/growing market in mainland China. Now, there can be legitimate debate as to whether this is the best way or even a good way to achieve these goals, but I would suspect that an arrangement like this was probably the only realistic way to open up a Disney park in mainland China.

Do people think that this arrangement is going to lose a lot of money for Disney? If it doesn't, I don't think it matters that Iger has to avoid the limelight in China and let the local folks there be the face of the project. Maybe it matter to Iger and his ego, but I don't give a crap about that.

Now, if people want to make the claim that Disney not running things is going to cause SDL to be unsuccessful and lose a ton of money, that would be a concern (for the company, stockholder, and for us fans who want the P&R division to have revenue to reinvest). But I don't think anyone is really making that prediction.

I suspect TWDC has blown it and domestic P&R will be feeling the effects for years.

Goofyernmost

In some cases these might not be too far off right now! lol Enjoy!

http://www.dishumor.com/blogs/entry/26-life-without-disney-world/
One thing about this forum, it certainly does have a high sense of drama.

I understand what he's saying and I am having trouble understanding why everyone is so hyper about this. Is it because the "spirit" said you should be or is it because some have never been in that highly charged political situation.

Keeping a low profile does not necessarily translate into complete lack of control. In a regime like China's it is important for it to appear to the public of China that it is their park. That they control to a huge degree what is going on in it. It may all be smoke and mirrors, but, it is important to the culture to at least think that.

Aside from the fact that we haven't seen a kodak moment from old Bob, means nothing. It means that they are working within the limits of that the culture will allow. When is the last time anyone saw Bob in any parks in our country even? Do we see him wandering around the construction site for Pandora? How often did he show up at DCA? His appearance only is important if we think that all the glory is going to go to Disney. As little as I know about the Chinese culture (and it is limited) the branding (as in branding iron) has to be Chinese. Even if it means that China has adapted some western ways. Doing it that way then becomes their decision and not a foreign lands, half a world away. To just dismiss whatever control that Disney company has over the creative and organizational aspects is totally unjustified at this time. Disney cannot control the economy of China or the way that they handle things such as Theme Parks. All they can do is invest in the parts that they have control over and the people of the Republic of China will determine if it is successful or not. When dealing with a government, in their country, on their land we have to play within the confines of their rules. We cannot go charging in with our own set of rules and insist that they do as they are told.

I don't think for one minute that Bob cares if his picture shows up in the media. What he cares about is that the stock prices remain high at least long enough for him to sell his shares. He has a wallet ego, not so much a "star" ego. Anyway, the proof, one way or the other, will show once the place is open. Until then all anyone is doing is throwing BS into the wind and waiting to see where it lands.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Agreed. It was a nice little novelty thing for leap year, but the novelty is gone now. I do feel bad for the CMs working the event. I also feel bad for anyone who happened to plan a trip to WDW at this time and didn't even know it was going on. Imagine being a first time visitor and running into that mess by accident.

peter11435

The scheduling of the CM's probably has a lot to do with their attitude, how would you like to be scheduled from say 6pm to midnight along with everyone else working strange hours so no OT need be paid, it's not going to make for a happy workforce.

Please don't state things as facts that are not true. Obviously cast members worked long days and shifts they aren't used to working and that sucks. However if they worked a long day as you point out then they were paid OT. Don't talk about things if you don't know what you are talking about.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, because domestic P&R didn't suffer for 20 years because of Disneyland Paris or anything.
You don't really think that Disney is in the same financial position that it was in back then do you? What happens stateside, is decided based on stateside needs and goals. Does make for a nice scapegoat for lack of activity though.

GiveMeTheMusic

You don't really think that Disney is in the same financial position that it was in back then do you? What happens stateside, is decided based on stateside needs and goals. Does make for a nice scapegoat for lack of activity though.

The financial position is different but the excuses for lack of action remain the same. Any reason, real or manufactured, is good enough for Disney management to use on delaying reinvestment domestically. If Shanghai becomes a moneysuck, they will absolutely use that as a reason to hold back domestically - it's all about impressing Wall Street.

They've got more money than ever, but as @ParentsOf4 has pointed out so many times, capex is at record lows.

These people are reactionary and certainly not visionary.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This will not affect domestic P&R one lick. Count on it.
It won't directly impact domestic P&R operations, but it can have an impact on future capital spend for TWDC. If this project failed miserably then the Wall Street guys might sour on future capital P&R spend which could hurt the domestic parks. A smaller pie means less money for everyone.

Of course a wild success in China could also lead to a phase 2 and phase 3 of Shanghai which could eat into future domestic capital spend too. I think as a fan of WDW we really need to pull for a mild success in China. Not enough to lead to further investment, but not too little that it could have a negative impact either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom