Windows talk

StarWarsGirl

I would go for the pro most likely. At least they fixed the biggest issue and got rid of RT. That was hell for developers
It was hell for users too. Being stuck with IE is my biggest complaint about my old tablet.

It's a nice alternative if you don't want to spend the big bucks for the Pro.

StarWarsGirl

You think your laptop is clunky? You have no idea till you carry around this beast. I had to buy a special bag just for it.

asusG74_5_05.jpg
By modern day standards, yes it's clunky.

Compared to that...nope:in pain:

Jahona

Why does Windows need Android apps expect to get their Store numbers higher? It seems to be counter to the whole One Windows philosophy. Such quick port tools are also not a new concept, but never seem to work as well as promised.

I was talking more for the Windows Phone and tablet market. Both of which suffer from a lack of decent app support.

Jahona

By modern day standards, yes it's clunky.

Compared to that...nope:in pain:

Unfortunately my needs required a portable powerhouse so sacrifices had to be made. Definitely don't regret the purchase and it does turn heads when you are using it. I do have a Samsung Note 10.1 (2014) That I carry around as my daily portable device. Surface 3 does make a tempting upgrade.

StarWarsGirl

Apple does offer students discounts. It's only $20 off the 128 GB iPad Air 2, but they also typically do a student special in the fall.
Not nearly as good as MS's deal.

10% off everything, including accessories.

Plus I had a 5% discount in addition to that. Easily saved over $100. And no shipping.

lazyboy97o

MS does not exactly have many more options at this point.
They're not a mobile only company. They could leverage other areas as they are already doing, like Office being on iOS and Android. Maybe it's time they just accept that nobody wants a Windows mobile device.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They're not a mobile only company. They could leverage other areas as they are already doing, like Office being on iOS and Android. Maybe it's time they just accept that nobody wants a Windows mobile device.
I want a Windows mobile device. It is actually a great mobile OS and I would love to have everything under one umbrella. The problem is no one makes apps for it. Sure you can find weather app, a calendar app, etc, but when companies like Disney make their own apps, Windows is left out because the install base is too small.

StarWarsGirl

Unfortunately my needs required a portable powerhouse so sacrifices had to be made. Definitely don't regret the purchase and it does turn heads when you are using it. I do have a Samsung Note 10.1 (2014) That I carry around as my daily portable device. Surface 3 does make a tempting upgrade.
Yeah, I have to plug in my laptop if I take it with me. Thankfully there are places to charge.

The Surface 3 is a nice device. I've looked at the Samsung tablets when I go in and wander Best Buy. They are nice devices as well. I have a small Samsung Android tablet that I use primarily as an e-reader. Depends on what your needs are.

Jahona

Actually Microsoft has been a mobile company longer than Apple. They had decent success with early "smart phones" before apple entered with iOS and completely changing the game. They also recently acquired the phone division of Nokia.

Microsoft had a lot of great incentives for app developers to develop on their platform. They would give you free phones to test for testing and rewards for launching apps.

If the app selection increases with well known cross platform apps like ones found on Android and iOS then Microsoft could be back in the game.

lazyboy97o

Actually Microsoft has been a mobile company longer than Apple. They had decent success with early "smart phones" before apple entered with iOS and completely changing the game. They also recently acquired the phone division of Nokia.

Microsoft had a lot of great incentives for app developers to develop on their platform. They would give you free phones to test for testing and rewards for launching apps.

If the app selection increases with well known cross platform apps like ones found on Android and iOS then Microsoft could be back in the game.
Microsoft had mobile success on Palm devices. Palm is dead. What incentive does someone have to risk Windows when Android definitely runs the Android apps and has good Microsoft apps for things like Office? They're following a strategy that has already been tried and failed.

Jahona

Why would anyone go with a Windows phone? It's like Master Yoda said:

I want a Windows mobile device. It is actually a great mobile OS and I would love to have everything under one umbrella. The problem is no one makes apps for it.

Honestly I used a Windows Phone 7 device for a short time before switching to android. I loved the UI and it was a great phone. The issue was the availability of applications. The UI and animations on the Windows phone OS was faster and snappier than android and even iOS. Nokia was creating some great cameras for their phones that just never got much exposure from 3rd party sites like how the big Android and Apple phones get.

When Windows 10 releases Microsoft is going to need to do a major push with marketing on all fronts to start to gain market share in the mobile phone market.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I get that but copying one of Blackberry's desperate moves is probably not the best strategy.
It's not copy, Blackberry created an emulator for their phones while Microsoft is producing a means of porting Android/Objective-C code to a Microsoft setup. As a developer I love this, it makes Microsoft an easier market to hit.

Voxel

President of Progress City

There is a lot of Developer Talk concerning the Microsoft Mobile market lately. More then there has been in years, they have struck some interest. Esp, considering Microsoft has stated that Swift will be supported in a later update for porting apps to Microsoft.

StarWarsGirl

Maybe it's time they just accept that nobody wants a Windows mobile device.
I don't think that's true. Many students like and use Surfaces. I know at my school that I observe more Surfaces than other tablets like iPads and Android tablets. I would consider a Windows phone, but the app store is the main reason why not. My mother, who currently uses an iPad, said that she would like a Surface as her next tablet. So no, I don't think people aren't buying Microsoft mobile devices because they don't want them. They are getting away from them because the app store is not as good.

StarWarsGirl

I want a Windows mobile device. It is actually a great mobile OS and I would love to have everything under one umbrella. The problem is no one makes apps for it. Sure you can find weather app, a calendar app, etc, but when companies like Disney make their own apps, Windows is left out because the install base is too small.
That's funny you mention Disney; they have a pretty decent selection of apps on the Windows app store, at least for tablets. 29 to be exact. MDE and others are missing, but Disney, compared to other developers, made a decent amount of apps for Windows already.

But I do see your point.

lazyboy97o

Why would anyone go with a Windows phone? It's like Master Yoda said:

Honestly I used a Windows Phone 7 device for a short time before switching to android. I loved the UI and it was a great phone. The issue was the availability of applications. The UI and animations on the Windows phone OS was faster and snappier than android and even iOS. Nokia was creating some great cameras for their phones that just never got much exposure from 3rd party sites like how the big Android and Apple phones get.

When Windows 10 releases Microsoft is going to need to do a major push with marketing on all fronts to start to gain market share in the mobile phone market.

It's not copy, Blackberry created an emulator for their phones while Microsoft is producing a means of porting Android/Objective-C code to a Microsoft setup. As a developer I love this, it makes Microsoft an easier market to hit.

I don't think that's true. Many students like and use Surfaces. I know at my school that I observe more Surfaces than other tablets like iPads and Android tablets. I would consider a Windows phone, but the app store is the main reason why not. My mother, who currently uses an iPad, said that she would like a Surface as her next tablet. So no, I don't think people aren't buying Microsoft mobile devices because they don't want them. They are getting away from them because the app store is not as good.
The big selling point going for Windows that is a focal point of their advertising is that use is not beholden to an App Store.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Objectively it's not overpriced for what you get.
Under $729 USD for Surface 3 (128gb) with Keyboard.

iPad Air 2 (128gb) with a keyboard case is roughly $750.

Now if you want to compare the Surface 3 to a laptop then for almost 800 you can probably find something with more power but you're going to trade off portability and build quality.

While the Surface 3 can utilize full windows applications with out relying on the Microsoft Store; we are going to have to see when Windows 10 releases if the Microsoft App Store will increase. Microsoft released a demo a week ago showing how easy it is to take an android app and port it to the Windows 10 platform. If developers catch on to this then the mobile experience for Windows 10 should be better.

A lot of people would rather play their bejeweled clones in a native app than through a web browser.
If you want something that isn't a great tablet, and isn't a great laptop, and you want to pay a lot of money for it, the Surface is perfect for you.

(mind you, this is coming from someone who has owned 3 of them)

Jahona

The big selling point going for Windows that is a focal point of their advertising is that use is not beholden to an App Store.

You're correct. You have to remember the average consumer doesn't like complicated procedures and would prefer an easier one stop shop. Having an expanded app store for Microsoft will only be a boon.

If you want something that isn't a great tablet, and isn't a great laptop, and you want to pay a lot of money for it, the Surface is perfect for you.

Have you used the Surface 3 or Surface 3 Pro, or are you just spouting the same internet line? I have used a Surface 3 Pro model for a shot time as a demo and for most things it could keep pace with my hulking behemoth of a laptop. It was handling gig image files in Photoshop fine and was running Autodesk Maya with out missing a beat. A friend of mine who is an animation technical director just loves his and is the computer he recommends to students. Also having the Wacom stylus is also handy. It's not a good as an Intuos Pro but it gets the job done.

As for the normal Surface 3 we will just have to let @StarWarsGirl95 let us know after extended usage how it holds up for day to day usage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom