A Spirited Perfect Ten

RSoxNo1

Well based on just observational data, there are a few things we can assume.

Biggest assumption that I can put forth is that everybody park Hops to Magic Kingdom in the evening.
It's unlikely that's going to change in the future either, even with a nighttime show in DAK as MK is also anticipating a new show.

the.dreamfinder

Because we want to see photos from farther back.

Look in the background from this Yesterland/Disney photo from 1991. Look at all those trees.

20surprises_surprisecelebration.jpg
Also note the trees on Main St.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
This is not 1985. The Partners statue did not appear until 1995.

These pictures only show the Castle Forecourt. If you have pictures from similar angles to what @PhotoDave219 posted, it would be a better comparison for the purposes of this discussion.
My bad on the one picture. And comparisons at this point are moot since the hub of 1991 is never coming back.

doctornick

It's unlikely that's going to change in the future either, even with a nighttime show in DAK as MK is also anticipating a new show.

honestly, I think part of the issue is the other parks not being open as late. It would be nice to see the other ones open later than 9pm or the occasional 10pm (not talking about EMH) especially when MK has hours going until 12am. If it were only an hour difference between closing times, the hassle of switching parks would mitigate the benefit.

It would also help to have more night time shows at the other parks. The calculus becomes Fantasmic! or ROE vs MSEP and CTM and Wishes. If there were always a fireworks show at DHS or an additional night time entertainment at Epcot or something in addition to RoL at DAK (is there going to be a tree projection show as well?), that would help because it's easier for guests to justify staying in those parks versus what they can do in MK.

flynnibus

Premium Member
People "dim enough" to reserve a spot for fireworks. Again, the perception of value comes up. FP+ is all smoke and mirrors. If every guest was well versed in the art of waging war on the Mouse when on property at WDW, then everyone would know that they should book all of the low capacity/popular attractions over high capacity/less popular ones and not waste them on attractions that would never need a FP to begin with. Since MM+ and FP+ (and it's billions of capital invested) aren't bringing any new ride vehicles into the equation, the resort needed to get other "perceived" value into the pool of available time slots. Thus, the "dim people" may perceive value in picking up a FP+ for this and they are none-the-wiser that a smarter choice could have/should have been made. Even dim people would select Wishes over Stitch.

There is nothing 'dim' about opt'ing to have reserved seating vs having to spend time and effort to camp out for the view you want. If you think that FP was better used elsewhere.. is your own personal preference.

Given the option of 'please park part of your group here for 45 minutes' or 'please take a spot and be here 15mins early' - I know which one is less of a PITA.

PhotoDave219

There is nothing 'dim' about opt'ing to have reserved seating vs having to spend time and effort to camp out for the view you want. If you think that FP was better used elsewhere.. is your own personal preference.

Given the option of 'please park part of your group here for 45 minutes' or 'please take a spot and be here 15mins early' - I know which one is less of a PITA.

I dunno. Getting logged in on my account, remembering the password, making sure I have the app on my phone, setting an alarm so I can be on the computer 180 days out so I can get that FP+.... that seems like more of a PITA than showing up 45 mins early.

PhotoDave219

My bad on the one picture. And comparisons at this point are moot since the hub of 1991 is never coming back.

No, it is not coming back but it really adds context to what @Lee and @WDW1974 are saying about what we had until about 2003 or so.

Alas it does not render the conversation moot; its worth having the conversation as to the direction WDW is moving in as well as what it means when you have people in charge of Parks and Resorts whom haven't set foot in a theme park.

And since I went there, the great deforestation of the Magic Kingdom happened on Michael Eisner's watch.

bhg469

Well based on just observational data, there are a few things we can assume.

Biggest assumption that I can put forth is that everybody park Hops to Magic Kingdom in the evening.
I believe you're correct! It would be interesting for me to see the system they use. I wouldn't be surprised if the same company that built ours may have done theirs. The closest thing we have ever done like that is the olympics in 2010. The infrastructure was a mess though, it was all temporary locations and wiring. Fantastic chinese food though!

flynnibus

Premium Member
I dunno. Getting logged in on my account, remembering the password, making sure I have the app on my phone, setting an alarm so I can be on the computer 180 days out so I can get that FP+.... that seems like more of a PITA than showing up 45 mins early.

The whole 'I gotta do it at 180days' angle is just a distraction. It's not an essential point to the different models and is something that is easily manipulated.. and minimized if desired. The key point is... not everyone is willing to put in the planning, time, and commitment to do certain things... FP+ helps with that by making some things a 'given' and then you can stop worrying about it. Fireworks is a bit of a challenge given they can be canceled, or things are weather dependent, etc.

But given the option of calling ahead and getting a table... or opt'ing to just show up and see what happens... call ahead looks pretty attractive to a lot of people. Even if you don't get the most 'value' for your call vs alternatives.

RSoxNo1

honestly, I think part of the issue is the other parks not being open as late. It would be nice to see the other ones open later than 9pm or the occasional 10pm (not talking about EMH) especially when MK has hours going until 12am. If it were only an hour difference between closing times, the hassle of switching parks would mitigate the benefit.

It would also help to have more night time shows at the other parks. The calculus becomes Fantasmic! or ROE vs MSEP and CTM and Wishes. If there were always a fireworks show at DHS or an additional night time entertainment at Epcot or something in addition to RoL at DAK (is there going to be a tree projection show as well?), that would help because it's easier for guests to justify staying in those parks versus what they can do in MK.
It's two fold though. There isn't enough to do in the other parks to necessitate them closing later. They need to build more attractions in the other three parks. It's not complicated, they're underbuilt.

PhotoDave219

The whole 'I gotta do it at 180days' angle is just a distraction. It's not an essential point to the different models and is something that is easily manipulated.. and minimized if desired. The key point is... not everyone is willing to put in the planning, time, and commitment to do certain things... FP+ helps with that by making some things a 'given' and then you can stop worrying about it. Fireworks is a bit of a challenge given they can be canceled, or things are weather dependent, etc.

But given the option of calling ahead and getting a table... or opt'ing to just show up and see what happens... call ahead looks pretty attractive to a lot of people. Even if you don't get the most 'value' for your call vs alternatives.

The biggest thing that I've run into during my 11 years around the Walt Disney World resort… I never knew when I was going to The kingdom. I was rarely planning anything out in my life at all. I didn't know when I will get an afternoon off 180 days in advance… so the general idea of scheduling a fast pass let alone scheduling a meal at Disney becomes ridiculous either way unless you jump through the hoops they are forcing you to jump through

I just don't like being forced to plan spontaneous activities…

gmajew

Astroturf is really bad in the heat. But I haven't seen any conclusive scientific evidence linking it to cancer. It doesn't appear to be a cause-effect relationship based on the research today.

It will be interesting to see how many people mid-day August are going to sit on the turf to watch a show, forget a towel, and get quite a warm welcoming by the ground. ;)

They have said eggs were bad for years as well and now they say eat them. The science behind what causes what is flawed as it is ever changing.

Issue with the turf is going to be some butt pulling on it to see if it will come up.

Also how often they clean it properly.

Nemo14

The biggest thing that I've run into during my 11 years around the Walt Disney World resort… I never knew when I was going to The kingdom. I was rarely planning anything out in my life at all. I didn't know when I will get an afternoon off 180 days in advance… so the general idea of scheduling a fast pass let alone scheduling a meal at Disney becomes ridiculous either way unless you jump through the hoops they are forcing you to jump through

which is exactly why some of the locals I know are not renewing their AP's

flynnibus

Premium Member

perfectly valid - different people have different needs/desires. But intelligence is recognizing that... not calling other people 'dim' because they don't align to your particular needs or because you can't see their perspective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom