The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Happy meatless Monday!

O.k. so I'm always a little bit behind the curve here: what is meatless Monday? o_O Is that a new holiday? ;) Anyway, I assume it means that you don't eat meat on Mondays, for whatever reason. Guess I ended up joining in the party by default today, but only because the cafeteria at work had mac/cheese and I loves me some mac/cheese!!! :hungry: I also had a scoop of acorn squash on the side.

Goofyernmost

O.k. so I'm always a little bit behind the curve here: what is meatless Monday? o_O Is that a new holiday? ;) Anyway, I assume it means that you don't eat meat on Mondays, for whatever reason. Guess I ended up joining in the party by default today, but only because the cafeteria at work had mac/cheese and I loves me some mac/cheese!!! :hungry: I also had a scoop of acorn squash on the side.
I think that is a reference to the last week of lent. Sort of a week long black Friday for fishermen back in biblical times.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think that is a reference to the last week of lent. Sort of a week long black Friday for fishermen back in biblical times.

Hmm . . . never heard of that. Even the nuns back in grade school told us we couldn't eat meat on Fridays in Lent. They also taught us about Holy Thursday and Good Friday, but they never mentioned anything about Meatless Mondays. You must have been in an advanced Sunday school class. ;)

Goofyernmost

Hmm . . . never heard of that. Even the nuns back in grade school told us we couldn't eat meat on Fridays in Lent. They also taught us about Holy Thursday and Good Friday, but they never mentioned anything about Meatless Mondays. You must have been in an advanced Sunday school class. ;)
I don't remember it either and I was in Catholic Schools until 10th grade. But this was Holy Week and a very big deal in the church, so we just might not have heard it labeled, but for the more devout, it was probably unofficially observed. But, I'm just guessing. I come from a family that produced one Franciscan Monk, one Brother of Christian Instruction (teacher) and two Nuns not to mention the house full of Priest at my Grandmothers every Saturday night. That phrase (Meatless Monday) is new to me though. Might even be a day set up by Vegetarians, which now that I think about it, is probably more likely.

What one must remember is that I am the person that attended a seminar last week on recognizing the onset of Alzheimer's and then forget to bring the handouts home with me. Worst part is that I don't remember if that was listed as one of the warning signs or not.

donaldtoo

What's this spring you talk of?????? I just saw a flock of geese heading north in the snow!

texas-wildflowers.jpg

:D ;) :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And what stops Son #2 from buying a car and driving himself?
A) $700/month insurance
B) Learner's permit only
C) No way to maintain that car once he goes back to school and isn't working full time.

This "work thing" turned out perfectly - a one year experiment to prove to him that working for The Man for $14/hr is great for a teenager; not so great for a married man with a family.

My main complaint this morning (after less than two hours' sleep), was that one kid works at 5:30; one kid works at 7:30; one kid starts school at 10:20.
Things are much easier when the two workers both start at 7:30.

Split work start times on Mondays stink! You know, 'cause Mondays in general stink!

$700 car insurance????? I have 5 cars on my policy and it is no where even half that with 4 drivers. Dear Lord! :jawdrop:

Our kids had older cars given to them in high school, I could not drive in circles all day for sports, school and work. We maintained them through college. My kids didn't take them away to school or the college program at Disney. My DD had both Amtrak and Charter Buses available. DS roomies had cars so I'd give whichever one was driving him $50 and when they were old enough a case of beer was added. They liked taking him. :)

As for your original annoyance may I suggest:
Super-Soaker-Lawsuit-665x385.jpg

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And some people who are are of Spanish, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, etc. descent are good ol plain Americans like the rest of you. It's funny when I bring up speaking Spanish and illegals are mentioned.

Probably depends on the region. We have so many up here and it tied to our conversation of language, me specifically what I agree to put into a line item to educate in our school district. As I said we have the same issue with Polish illegals in our school system too. Special Education takes a huge chunk of our school budget and we cut things like Chorus and Band long before we cut any form of classroom instruction. I have not in all the years of being on the board had one English Learn in our district for Chinese or Japanese. The Chinese and Japanese children on green cards know English as do their parents, generally they are corporate executives transfers. Some countries teach English from young in their schools. We have many students that speak both Spanish and English entering the system but they are obviously not in our English Learner program and almost always have a local address and phone number that they supply on registration forms.

My Niece in a college prep private school in Ohio started learning Spanish when she was 4 years old in K-Prep and she is a Senior and is beyond fluent. There are not too many public schools here that have the budget to do that unfortunately. I can only speak for my district but we budget far more for teaching English than we do teaching foreign languages. We must, each student counts when keeping up with No Child Left Behind Act.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom