Windows talk

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And, for the record, in 1996, there was still a whole aisle at places like Staples and Office Depot dedicated to automatic typewriters.

lazyboy97o

And, for the record, in 1996, there was still a whole aisle at places like Staples and Office Depot dedicated to automatic typewriters.
Did you ever say that you were "word processing" when typing on a computer?

You can still get an a typewriter at a lot of office stores. There are only a few to see, but they are still there.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Did you ever say that you were "word processing" when typing on a computer?

You can still get an a typewriter at a lot of office stores. There are only a few to see, but they are still there.
No, I never did.

And, no, you can't get a typewriter at a lot of office stores. Maybe one model stuck off in the back. I don't know what century you last visited one.

StarWarsGirl

I've had computers in my house since the early 80s. I grew up using computers in the mid 80s.

I still knew and learned how to use a typewriter...because printing was expensive for a very long time.

I started my IT career working for AOL in 1996. <wink>
We had AOL is 1996. ;) We had it for far longer than we should have...:cautious: My parents both used computers at work, but it took until then to buy one for home use. They were expensive; I think the 95 was about $4,000. I believe it had 4 GB of RAM and a 32 GB hard drive.

How times have changed. Most of my assignments for school I don't even have to print. They are turned in electronically. Printing at school is free (with limits of course) though I did buy myself a wireless printer when I started college for convenience. A lot of professor do everything electronically now, though.

StarWarsGirl

No, I never did.

And, no, you can't get a typewriter at a lot of office stores. Maybe one model stuck off in the back. I don't know what century you last visited one.
Amazon has them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ield-keywords=typewriter&sprefix=Type,aps,180

Office Depot does as well
http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/typewriters/N=5+509792/?hijack=Typewriter&type=Search

And Staples has a few
http://www.staples.com/Typewriter/directory_Typewriter?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We had AOL is 1996. ;) We had it for far longer than we should have...:cautious: My parents both used computers at work, but it took until then to buy one for home use. They were expensive; I think the 95 was about $4,000. I believe it had 4 GB of RAM and a 32 GB hard drive.

How times have changed. Most of my assignments for school I don't even have to print. They are turned in electronically. Printing at school is free (with limits of course) though I did buy myself a wireless printer when I started college for convenience. A lot of professor do everything electronically now, though.
Your memory fails you. You are off about a decade. Those specs in 96 would have cost a lot more than 4k (and a lot more than a desktop)

The gig barrier wasn't really broken until the early to mid 2000s.

Anyhow, that said, you forget, I taught college. I've been in this medium a very long time (older than most who are still around).

Not that it brings me any credence, but, I am very aware of the development of it. I literally grew up with it and watched it happen.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I never said you couldn't BUY them. I said that there isn't an aisle, or even a display, dedicated to them.

Walk into your local Staples or Office Depot tomorrow, and look around to see where they are displayed.

Or, better yet, ask them to sell you one.

They'll need to order it.

lazyboy97o

I never said you couldn't BUY them. I said that there isn't an aisle, or even a display, dedicated to them.
And I never said there was still an aisle or full display. Just that stores still actually carry a few. And if they don't have the typewriters they still likely have ribbons for them.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And I never said there was still an aisle or full display. Just that stores still actually carry a few. And if they don't have the typewriters they still likely have ribbons for them.

You said.

lazyboy97o said:

How should that be inferred? In my view, that means that one can walk into a Staples anywhere and purchase a typewriter right now. Not a catalogue or store order. Right now. Not ribbons.

The fact is, you cannot.

It means nothing, really...as electric typewriters were a far cry from what I learned on (mechanical), but, still...to think that is just silly.

lazyboy97o

You said.

How should that be inferred? In my view, that means that one can walk into a Staples anywhere and purchase a typewriter right now. Not a catalogue or store order. Right now. Not ribbons.

The fact is, you cannot.

It means nothing, really...as electric typewriters were a far cry from what I learned on (mechanical), but, still...to think that is just silly.
The fact is that you can walk into stores and buy a typewriter. That is exactly what I am saying. That doesn't mean there is a dedicated aisle. That doesn't mean there is a whole display. All it needs to be true is one or two models available with like one in stock.

StarWarsGirl

Your memory fails you. You are off about a decade. Those specs in 96 would have cost a lot more than 4k (and a lot more than a desktop)
Like I said, I don't remember exactly; I was guessing; I was 1 when they got that computer, though they probably still have the receipt for it, and 12 when we got rid of it for good. Long time ago. I would have to go look up the exact specs.

StarWarsGirl

The fact is, you cannot.

An Office Depot near me has them in stock. Just checked their website for availability.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The fact is that you can walk into stores and buy a typewriter. That is exactly what I am saying. That doesn't mean there is a dedicated aisle. That doesn't mean there is a whole display. All it needs to be true is one or two models available with like one in stock.
They don't keep them in stock at most locations. So, not true.

They sell them, through orders.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
An Office Depot near me has them in stock. Just checked their website for availability.
Right, two Brother models, stuck in boxes in the back. Go in tomorrow and ask the manager how many of them they sold in the last 12 months. Or if the website even reflects their actual store inventory (which it often does not).

Go ahead, I'll wait for the experiment.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And, note, both are electronic. That was a late model thing. Mechanical typewriters were what I grew up with (unsticking keys, etc)...

lazyboy97o

Right, two Brother models, stuck in boxes in the back. Go in tomorrow and ask the manager how many of them they sold in the last 12 months. Or if the website even reflects their actual store inventory (which it often does not).

Go ahead, I'll wait for the experiment.
Nobody is saying many sell.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I challenge you both, go to an office supply store tomorrow, not an online search.

SHOW me a typewriter that is on display as a unit they sell.

I'll wait.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom