Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I was shopping at my local Costco the other day and witnessed the ultimate in narcissism. Two 15-16 year old girls were standing in front of the chicken case, giggling, tossing their hair and taking repeated selfies of themselves STANDING IN FRONT OF THE CHICKEN CASE AT COSTCO! It's a case of cut up chicken, not the Eiffel Tower. And btw, you were in the way of shoppers trying to pick up a couple of packages of wings. Sheesh.

Then I started thinking, "and these two idiots are going to be running the world when I'm old and drooling in adult diapers in a nursing home." That was a frightening thought.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Like I said, I'm sure there's others that could fill us in more (I can't find the article, I thought there was something on here actually) with the details, if memory serves me right, didn't they take the whole dog one time?

Unless every camera is monitored every second of the ride every day, things are going to go unseen by human eye. Sure, it'll be on tape, but for the CMs to address it by the time people step off the ride can be somewhat slim. Maybe any willing CM's could add to this portion.

Didn't a British tourist recently loose the tips of two fingers because he let his hand trail in the water? I would think this is definitely risking limbs and other body parts. Karma wins out. Oh, and you get to be that year's winner of the Darwin Award.

mousehockey37

Didn't a British tourist recently loose the tips of two fingers because he let his hand trail in the water? I would think this is definitely risking limbs and other body parts. Karma wins out. Oh, and you get to be that year's winner of the Darwin Award.

Yes. These sticks are being viewed as extensions of the arm/torso (or wherever they are). Karma will win out, but at the same time, when karma does win, everyone else in the park loses because due to someone doing this, the ride gets shutdown, inspected, investigated, etc. All of which, could take quite some time depending on the severity of the karma.

wdwjmp239

I just got back from Disney a few hours ago with the family for a quick weekend and I saw only five selfie sticks. Thankfully, those people had enough common sense to detract them when they were in crowded areas (Mexico - near the "Margarita Slushee Bar" and the UK - near the pub). I had to jump into a picture where a selfie stick was used where I was standing behind them taking my own selfie with the added "duckface" for good measure. :)

G00fyDad

I just do not get it.....:rolleyes:

"Look at us! Aren't we cute? Okay girls.... lets see some duck faces AND peace signs so people will know we are cool and cute."
selfie-stick-6-584690.jpg

"Oh my God! I am totally eating right now. Jealous?"
selfie-stick-02.jpg

"Look! I just broke into my exe's house and I am on her bed!" (Stalker)
21-people-who-lost-their-selfie-stick-privileges--2-29722-1418408875-10_dblbig.jpg

"See, we prove idiocy knows no borders!"
o-SELFIE-STICK-facebook.jpg

Prog

Maybe I'm young and naive (and definitely too young and lazy to copy and paste the proper spelling of naive) but what's wrong with their use for group photos? It sure beats excluding a member of a group to take a photo or giving the camera to a potential larcenist.
(Also not all monopods are selfie sticks, as demonstrated by the user that took photos of the Sorcerer's hat remains.)

Selfie-Sticks are NOT evil, there is NO reason to ban them!

Simple fact is, people are dumb, they do dumb things with or without the use of props. Would you rather have someone taking a selfie while on a ride by holding their arms as far out as they can?

If I were able to ban anything, I'd ban dumb behavior! Tell CMs that anyone doing dumb/dangerous things should get one warning, then through them out of the park! Repeat offenders get banned for life.

Not long ago I saw a teen stand-up from his table without looking and bumping an elderly man. Fortunately the man did not fall down. Tales of people driving ECVs (strollers) recklessly are everywhere, should we ban ECVs? Over 3K people DIE in car accidents every DAY! Should we ban cars? But, you are worried over selfie sticks!

So as long as people use their selfie-sticks in a polite, considerate way, I have no problem, if they don't, I'll have a problem with the person, not the stick's.

G00fyDad

Selfie-Sticks are NOT evil, there is NO reason to ban them!

Simple fact is, people are dumb, they do dumb things with or without the use of props. Would you rather have someone taking a selfie while on a ride by holding their arms as far out as they can?

If I were able to ban anything, I'd ban dumb behavior! Tell CMs that anyone doing dumb/dangerous things should get one warning, then through them out of the park! Repeat offenders get banned for life.

Not long ago I saw a teen stand-up from his table without looking and bumping an elderly man. Fortunately the man did not fall down. Tales of people driving ECVs (strollers) recklessly are everywhere, should we ban ECVs? Over 3K people DIE in car accidents every DAY! Should we ban cars? But, you are worried over selfie sticks!

So as long as people use their selfie-sticks in a polite, considerate way, I have no problem, if they don't, I'll have a problem with the person, not the stick's.

A) Stop yelling. ;)

B) Ban cars? That is a bit of a stretch from these "weapons" in the hands of morons.

C) "So as long as people use their selfie-sticks in a polite, considerate way" That is the problem here.

NormC

And what are the chances of this being the case? We are already being blinded with brightly lit LCD devices like iPads and other tablets held up in front of us to video every moment of their vacations. Those people are not being considerate of others and those are likely the people that will buy the idiot sticks.
I agree with you though that as long as people are polite and considerate with them they should start the bans on rides only and see how it goes. There is absolutely no place for them on the rides. And if I am ever struck by one or it interferes with my family's enjoyment of the parks and events I will turn it into a pretzel and hand it back to the "selfi"sh person.

Omnikron

Our recent trip to Magic Kingdom, we were on the train and these German tourists behind us used their selfie stick to take a picture. They had stuck the wand for out of the train as it was moving and I was hoping, waiting for a tree branch to snatch their phone and wand from the hand :D

Tom

Beta Return
Its so not a problem!

The following pictures were all taken this past saturday, 90% of which within minutes of each other, and I have dozens more where these came from. I didn't have to look hard..or at all. They all kind of just pop up right in front of you...all the time::

fZRJu9i.jpg

qhPyL16.jpg

sxkLLeO.jpg

ZGb6AIB.jpg

YPH89Yy.jpg

7UAvFFY.jpg

AgQX8p2.jpg

1vZ8Vg2.jpg

z7wkxee.jpg

3K1o4b4.jpg

The one on the TTA is a problem. They've extended the camera outside the confines of the ride vehicle. There are no gray areas when it comes to doing that. Just because they're "still at the station" doesn't make it safe.

People are going to push the limits and continue to use them in inappropriate and unsafe manners, and that's what needs to be prevented before it's too late.

wogwog

Its so not a problem!

The following pictures were all taken this past saturday, 90% of which within minutes of each other, and I have dozens more where these came from. I didn't have to look hard..or at all. They all kind of just pop up right in front of you...all the time::

fZRJu9i.jpg

qhPyL16.jpg

sxkLLeO.jpg

ZGb6AIB.jpg

YPH89Yy.jpg

7UAvFFY.jpg

AgQX8p2.jpg

1vZ8Vg2.jpg

z7wkxee.jpg

3K1o4b4.jpg
Most of these are taken on Main street within feet of a Photo Pass cast member. Really people?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
The good news is that 99% of the people in this thread are against these narcissisticks (<<love that). So hopefully people will wise up and see how stupid they look. In the meantime if we want to expedite the death of these god forsaken things all we have to do is start a rumor that there has been a rise in reports of gang initiations that involve beating down people that use selfie sticks.

Most of the knobs that use them seem like the types that wouldn't follow up with a simple search on Snopes to disprove the rumor.

A) Stop yelling. ;)

B) Ban cars? That is a bit of a stretch from these "weapons" in the hands of morons.

C) "So as long as people use their selfie-sticks in a polite, considerate way" That is the problem here.

A) I'm not yelling, that takes the constant use of capital letters, I was "accentuating".
B) So is banning selfie sticks. As far as I know, no-one has died of a selfie-sitck injury.
C) Like I said, my problem is with dumb people, not inanimate objects.

Last edited:
And what are the chances of this being the case? We are already being blinded with brightly lit LCD devices like iPads and other tablets held up in front of us to video every moment of their vacations.

The chances are the same as the use (or misuse) of other tools, objects and devices, tablets, phones and yes, even selfie sticks can be a great tool for considerate people. Once again, the problem is not the s-s it's the way dumb people use them. No I don't own one or have ever used one, I stand on principle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom