In-Park Wifi

Brian

Original Poster
Call me an old fart (despite my biological age of 22), but I have a hard time with the in-park Wifi. The way I see it, people should be focusing on their family and friends and taking in all the magic and fun the parks have to offer and that we all love so much, instead of being on their tablets and smartphones. The only reason folks should be on their smartphones or tablets should be to use My Disney Experience or call members of their party to meet up with them.

The only benefit of it that I see is reducing data plan usage for background tasks like iMessage.

Let the debate begin... :)

AndyS2992

Call me an old fart (despite my biological age of 22), but I have a hard time with the in-park Wifi. The way I see it, people should be focusing on their family and friends and taking in all the magic and fun the parks have to offer and that we all love so much, instead of being on their tablets and smartphones. The only reason folks should be on their smartphones or tablets should be to use My Disney Experience or call members of their party to meet up with them.

The only benefit of it that I see is reducing data plan usage for background tasks like iMessage.

Let the debate begin... :)
I agree 100%, although if you are in a very long line then I'm sure browsing the internet will help speed the time up a little.

But yeah it has been discussed before, you may find these somewhat relevant:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wifi-issues-in-park-today.886776/
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/park-wifi.883133/
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wifi.879764/
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/bringing-technology-in-the-parks.875753/

:)

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
Queus are boring, for the most part. My wife and I do a very good job of communicating with each other in our daily lives, and even at Disney, but there comes a point where we run out of things to say to each other.

We both enjoy following stuff on Facebook, and we especially enjoy POSTING on Facebook while on our trips, just to rub salt in the wounds of everyone who's not with us :)

I also enjoy keeping current on this site. I learn a lot of real-time news and info on here, which has often come in helpful while in WDW. I also just like reading trip reports and other general WDW stuff while there.

I turn off the sync on all my work email accounts, and ONLY use my phone for the things mentioned above while on vacation. But since I didn't grow up with technology for my whole like (I'm 34), I know when it's time to engage in real conversation and family time.

To each their own.

Brian

Original Poster
Queus are boring, for the most part. My wife and I do a very good job of communicating with each other in our daily lives, and even at Disney, but there comes a point where we run out of things to say to each other.

We both enjoy following stuff on Facebook, and we especially enjoy POSTING on Facebook while on our trips, just to rub salt in the wounds of everyone who's not with us :)

I also enjoy keeping current on this site. I learn a lot of real-time news and info on here, which has often come in helpful while in WDW. I also just like reading trip reports and other general WDW stuff while there.

I turn off the sync on all my work email accounts, and ONLY use my phone for the things mentioned above while on vacation. But since I didn't grow up with technology for my whole like (I'm 34), I know when it's time to engage in real conversation and family time.

To each their own.

I might be guilty of a couple "Look where I am" posts to Facebook. ;)

Daniel Johnson

I never can get a good lock on the WiFi in the parks for some reason. But have tons of unused gigs on my phone plan from running WiFi at home, work, and when staying at hotels. So being in the park isn't somewhere I tend to use WiFi. But, as a married man with no kids, I find I need a little distraction in day to day life. I've gotten into too many altercations in the past from things happening right in front of me that my wife will often queue me to my phone. It's something I'm learning to deal with, but it isn't always easy. Disney isn't always a happy place. I'm sure we all have seen and heard things in a line that made us want to say something. I just happen to try and avert my attention from most of it now.
As for people who seem to be tethered to there phone and post every minute of there time...whatever. It's more common in today's society.

Matt_Black

Wi-Fi a little spotty at points; it's dropped out, forcing me to log back into MDE. But for the most part, it's pretty good.

Now, as far as the "spend time with your families" bit, bear in mind that some make solo trips. Not everyone is gregarious enough to chat up strangers at every opportunity, and the occasional dip into social media should not be frowned upon. Even those of us on family trips might have stretches on our own. For whatever reason, when I'm at Disney, I wake up REALLY early (THAT right there is proof of Disney magic!), and so I like to take advantage of extra magic hours. My mom and my sister, however, like to sleep in. So, I'm in the park by myself. You need something to do in lines, so I fool around on the internet.

Goofyernmost

Wi-Fi a little spotty at points; it's dropped out, forcing me to log back into MDE. But for the most part, it's pretty good.

Now, as far as the "spend time with your families" bit, bear in mind that some make solo trips. Not everyone is gregarious enough to chat up strangers at every opportunity, and the occasional dip into social media should not be frowned upon. Even those of us on family trips might have stretches on our own. For whatever reason, when I'm at Disney, I wake up REALLY early (THAT right there is proof of Disney magic!), and so I like to take advantage of extra magic hours. My mom and my sister, however, like to sleep in. So, I'm in the park by myself. You need something to do in lines, so I fool around on the internet.
I had really good luck with in park WiFi when I was there. The only time I didn't, I noticed that I was next to a building and obviously blocking the signal. That will happen. One just needs to be aware of their locations.

The Tuna

Phones in the park can be a pain but we need to get people off of them when walking everywhere. I don't know how many people i see daily cross a street with their earphones in and their heads looking down at their phones. It's one thing at a theme park but completely different on a road.
I found the wifi to be decent but not great. coverage can be spotty and access points can only handle so many users at a time. I wonder if they are still expanding the wifi in the parks or not for better coverage.

gsimpson

I've had excellent luck using the WiFi in all the parks with only a small number of drop outs at AK. I am on email and IM rather a lot (especially since I actually am pretty old) for work reasons but otherwise I would have to curtail my trips to WDW, so given I have a choice of checking email and IM a lot or not going at all --- I'll take checking email and IM a lot.

StarWarsGirl

I like having in-park wifi. My phone doesn't have data in spite of being a smartphone, and having mobile data turned on wears down the battery very, very quickly. My iPod Touch, my preferred device, is obviously Wifi-only. So having the wifi lets me use MDE to check wait times, check this site (the main page is extremely useful when you're down there) and surf when I'm bored in line.

I'm by no means attached to my device, as I am sure many here also are not. And those who will be attached to their devices will most likely be attached regardless of whether or not there's in park wifi. But the wifi is very nice to have and helps pass the time in long lines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom