Dumbo being developed as live action feature

Brer Panther

I'm curious... Will they be removing the Pink Elephants scene, or will a huge gimmick of the film be a weird 3D version of it with CGI pink elephants?

FettFan

So will Johnny Depp being playing Dumbo?

No no no. Given his history with Tim Burton and Disney, which includes alcohol and copious amounts of face paint...
Untitled-2.png

alfaris_net_1364668252.jpg

movies-johnny-depp-tonto.jpg

He'll be one of the drunken clowns.

216bruce

"Of all the movies in all the world and he has to walk into this one..."
casablanca.jpg

There are some things that are perfect, don't need to be redone and reimagined or reinterpreted....This is one of the VERY few.

Matt_Black

I don't know. The original is very short. Plus, as someone pointed out on another message board (they hadn't watched ANY Disney films and were binge watching then posting their thoughts), Dumbo himself is pretty much a passive agent as far as protagonists. A remake could be very interesting.

Now, with BURTON, however... Oy. Gnarled trees, daddy issues, Danny Elfman music, whimsically odd protagonist... He hasn't done ANYTHING I've really enjoyed since Sleepy Hollow, and even that used way too many of the tricks he's fallen back on.

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

I wonder how much actual "live action" there will be, as opposed to special effects etc. After all, we don't see humans that much in the original Dumbo...
I can understand a remake for Cinderella, Sleeping beauty etc... But Dumbo? Weirdest idea ever. What will come next? The Rescuers? :rolleyes:

Matt_Black

I'm imagining a live action adaptation with CGI animals, a la Alvin and the Chipmunks.
They're remaking The Secret of NIMH in that style, so for all we know they could be considering it.

I don't know; with the live-action reboot of Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers underfoot, a live-action remake of The Rescuers might be seen as redundant.

Matt_Black

Well, first, Disney's initial attempt is regarded as one of the worst from WDAS. Second, the whole series' main theme, from what I understand, is "Those big epic battles? They suck. Try something other than fighting." That's very hard to pull off convincingly in a big budget fantasy film.

Brer Panther

Since apparently not even movies starring animals are safe from this trend, how about "The Fox and the Hound"?

With random Disney Channel Stars as Tod and Copper.

Tony Perkis

This is going to be a disaster.

The source material doesn't need a reboot, the screenwriter is awful, and Button has been terrible directing films in his comfort zone (his last good film was Sweeney Todd, his first musical).

wcjordan06

Pretty sure almost everyone wrote off the live-action Cinderella and it is already doing very well in the box office with pretty good reviews, so a bit too early to judge anything imo. As a huge Dumbo fan I'm just excited at the fact more merchandise involving him will be coming out, you know that isn't targeted at disney's baby line.

Fox&Hound

This is an interesting new trend for Disney: Maleficent, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo....I dunno, I kinda think it's cool. Gives new life into older classics. Maybe Dumbo will be great and it can add something of substance to the circus area of NFL...Besides the dueling dumbo's it pretty much wasted space IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom