The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Cesar R M

I've been sick while down there too.

There was one time when I had a stomach virus on our two week August trip. I guess I was about 7 or 8. My two uncles were down there, so my mom made me come down to the pool to be sociable. She got the stomach virus two days later. She apologized for making me go down to the pool.

The trip before I had my tonsils out (I was 13), I had a really bad bout of tonsillitis on our last day. Even with antibiotics and painkillers, I was absolutely miserable. And of course, since we had no room to go back to, I had to go to the parks. It is the only trip I ever remember being desperate to just go home. Thankfully we had antibiotic on hand because it was a recurring thing (trip was in January; I was already scheduled for the surgery in March), so I went on it pretty quickly and we just told my doctors when we got back, but I was still miserable.

And then when I was a teenager (I guess 15), we were in Hilton Head and went to WDW afterward for a few days. The last day in Hilton Head, I kept getting whacked in the face by waves. I must have gotten a lot of water in my ear because I ended up with a horrible case of swimmers ear, so bad that I could not hear out of one ear. When I got back, I had to go to the doctor for eardrops to clear it up.

Other than that, on occasion a random cold, but nothing major. Now the Hawaii/Disneyland trip was a complete fail. I had a UTI in Disneyland. Then I had an ear infection in Hawaii. Then I nearly grounded the plane on the way back because my asthma was so bad. Two days later, I ended up having to go to the ER with my asthma. My allergies had been horrible out there, which just caused the asthma. And that is why I will be on a lot of medication before I go back out there. And why I will never live out there.

Last Hilton Head trip, I brought home a stomach virus and was confined to my room when we got back.
christ.. talk about bad luck on vacations (o_O))

maybe its time to get an as-mat CEDA suit for when you go out?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I feel so uncultured around all of you...

Parents: American
Grandparents: American
Great Grandparents: one Native American and the rest...American.

And at times that is a nice thing. My folks are both first generation American, before that they were all from Ireland, though my great aunt says one of my great grandparents was from England and Protestant which my Grandfather turned purple anytime some said that. Nastiness to my elder relatives to insinuate there is Protestant blood in their Irish Catholic bloodline. :joyfull: We can trace everyone's immigration papers except my Dads mother. My Gran disliked my Mom and my Mom says we can't find her in research because she was really a European Gypsy. :facepalm:
Yep, boring can be calmer. My Mom's family is very colorful. Sooooooo many stories.

Gabe1

The church I go to is no cathedral but I think it's pretty.
View attachment 85362 View attachment 85363

Pretty. :)

The area I grew up in originally had massively huge Catholic Churches and they were always packed as were the schools I attended. When we moved to the suburbs the Churches were also very big but not like the City ones and more brick than marble and granite. As I kept moving North and West of Home our Churches started looking like something out of Little House on the Prairie. My son was actually baptized in an A frame vacation type rig called a Catholic Church. Had a hard time wrapping my brain around that structure being a Church. :geek:

Gabe1

The church I go to is no cathedral but I think it's pretty.
View attachment 85362 View attachment 85363

Reminds me of the Parish I grew up in the suburbs but chose not to get married in. 3 blocks from my folks and haven't been in there in 3 decades. Also 3 blocks from Hilary Clinton's childhood home.

27816698.jpg
Victoria-in-the-park-Des-Plaines-IL-St.-Paul-of-the-Cross-Church-in-Park-Ridge-Illinois-Wedding-hot-pink-bridal-shoes-Hilda-Burke-Chicago-photographer-fun-unique-photos-31.jpg

Gabe1

I'm thinking we did. One of us is an activities coodinator for a senior assisted living complex, one is a manager for a major entertainment venue, one is a manager for a government contractor and I've been in the restaurant business for almost thirty years. :)

Must admire him for what he pulled off especially given the era. Kudos to him.

Eric1955

Pretty. :)

The area I grew up in originally had massively huge Catholic Churches and they were always packed as were the schools I attended. When we moved to the suburbs the Churches were also very big but not like the City ones and more brick than marble and granite. As I kept moving North and West of Home our Churches started looking like something out of Little House on the Prairie. My son was actually baptized in an A frame vacation type rig called a Catholic Church. Had a hard time wrapping my brain around that structure being a Church. :geek:

I grew up in the New Orleans area where most of the churches are Catholic and I went to Catholic school. Before I was born everyone in my family was Catholic, but then they all became Protestant. The churches I grew up going to were not pretty at all. The Presbyterian church I go to now is the prettiest in the area. Presbyterian churches tend to have a nice charm to them. However, some can be a bit bland architecturally. I loved the Anglican church I went to when I was living in Ottawa.
St_Peter_and_St_Paul_Anglican_Church_in_Ottawa.jpg 546856_434031413312236_1620131961_n.jpg synod1112_2.jpg

Gabe1

Yep, probably somewhat of a generational thing, although I'll do the same if the dining situation presents. ;) Also, I think it has something to do with my folks coming from very modest farm backgrounds, as well. No waste. Eat and sop up every last bit. :)

Yep. Certainly is. My mom one of 12 kids that lived never had enough food for all those mouths. That Gran knew how to stretch and feed a family but she was not a good cook and neither is my Mom, no skills to pass down. She could bake sweets though. Her hubby came home from the rail yards and would make bread dough every night, get up at 3am and beat the heck out of it (and sometimes his wife) and then pop it in the oven a few hours later for breakfast and lunches.

My other Gran knew how to stretch a dollar and make food that actually tasted good and you could chew. She even taught me how to make soup noodles. She could bake too made amazing strudel and plum dumplings. She was also the women that worked in a sweatshop as a seamstress and remade all my original Catholic uniforms down to preschool sizes for me so I would not look like I just got off the boat (which she did.)

Gabe1

I grew up in the New Orleans area where most of the churches are Catholic and I went to Catholic school. Before I was born everyone in my family was Catholic, but then they all became Protestant. The churches I grew up going to were not pretty at all. The Presbyterian church I go to now is the prettiest in the area. Presbyterian churches tend to have a nice charm to them. However, some can be a bit bland architecturally. I loved the Anglican church I went to when I was living in Ottawa.
View attachment 85364 View attachment 85365 View attachment 85366

Love it.

As much as I loved the charm of Tulane the chapel was not where the money was spent.
Chapel1.jpg

My DD still hopes to work at Tulane someday and live in the lovely Garden District. That park across from Tulane is to die for, simply amazing.

Eric1955

Love it.

As much as I loved the charm of Tulane the chapel was not where the money was spent.
Chapel1.jpg

My DD still hopes to work at Tulane someday and live in the lovely Garden District. That park across from Tulane is to die for, simply amazing.

My Grandfather went to Tulane. As pretty as the Garden District is and as much as I love New Orleans I have no desire to move back there. It's nice to visit, but crime was one of the reasons we moved away. I miss the food though. Can't get good king cakes over here. Gosh, now I'm craving king cake. I'm gonna have to make a run down to New Orleans.
o.jpg

Cesar R M

My Grandfather went to Tulane. As pretty as the Garden District is and as much as I love New Orleans I have no desire to move back there. It's nice to visit, but crime was one of the reasons we moved away. I miss the food though. Can't get good king cakes over here. Gosh, now I'm craving king cake. I'm gonna have to make a run down to New Orleans.
View attachment 85369
interesting, that thing looks like a ROSCA DE REYES, but very different.

Eric1955

interesting, that thing looks like a ROSCA DE REYES, but very different.

King cake is a round shaped cinnamon swirl dough with sugar on top. You can also get it with various fillings. I like cream cheese. There is also a small plastic baby hidden inside each king cake. They're most commonly eaton during Mardi Gras season but you can get them year round. Oh, and I should mention they're delicious. :)
kingcake.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom