Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

FettFan

In case you don't know what I'm talking about, they are these long metal sticks that seem to extend about 4 feet or so. You attach your phone at the end and take a selfie.

No. That is wrong.

"Selfie" sticks were made for action cameras, so that people could video themselves actually doing ACTION-Y things.

Like surfing (with DOLPHINS!)

Or snowboarding!

Or Urban ziplining!

Unfortunately, the freakin social media douchebags got ahold of them so they could take still pictures of themselves doing stupid lame crap. "Ooh, I'm using a selfie stick to take a picture of myself at McDonalds, I'm so BAD @$$!"

In the words of my grandfather, "THIS is why we can't have nice things!"

kgaf99

So, I've seen these things, but haven't invested much time in truly investigating them. Are they a solid pole? Do they expand out? I mean, I could see someone saying they are dangerous if used defensively...but I also watched a guy choke someone with a rope, much like the ropes dividing lines at theme parks.
I can totally see them banning them because people can't see a parade, or blocking a museum art piece...
But what is really dangerous? Not debating, just asking!

It won't be a matter of someone blocking the view. It will be the annoyance of someone trying to get that perfect pic during the fireworks. Then you'll really see fireworks bc person with stick will drop or hit someone and then all heck will break out.

I just laugh and roll my eyes when I see some fool with one of these bc I wonder why it's so important to take a freaking selfie 6 feet in the air. They look ridiculous doing it!!!! lol

Bairstow

I can actually kind of sympathize with this.
Some of my best vacation photos have been taken by grabbing stills from GoPro videos of us on roller coasters, raft rides, and Splash Mountain.

Daniel Johnson

Some of my best vacation photos have been taken by grabbing stills from GoPro videos of us on roller coasters, raft rides, and Splash Mountain.
I saw a guy at six flags over Georgia on the ninja....had a GoPro duct taped to his hands...
There are followers, and there are innovators.

FettFan

Yes well, I'm fairly certain that, given the new "buy an onride video starring you" feature that debuted with Tower of Terror, within the next few years, Disney will start installing small wireless HD cameras into the ride vehicles. They'll probably call it "My Action Plus" or something similarly snappy.

You'll just swipe your Magic Band across a designated reader in front of you, and the video from that camera would be accessible on your MyMagic+ account for a short time...if you are willing to pay the nominal fee, you can download it to your smartphone or tablet via the "My Action Plus" app, and then upload it in stunning 1080p to YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, etc.

Basically, Disney will be turning into The Truman Show.
7_Radio_23_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg%3Fimgmax%3D800

And now that I've posted this, on February 18, 2015 at approximately 11:25 CST, I now own this idea. If Disney actually goes through with it, I shall expect my share of suitable compensation.

Bairstow

I saw a guy at six flags over Georgia on the ninja....had a GoPro duct taped to his hands...
There are followers, and there are innovators.

Yeah, just a few years ago it was way easier to get away with stuff like that.
I used to be able to strap the thing to coaster restraints, handlebars, all kinds of stuff and no one cared. I guess since I was an adult and looked like I knew what I was doing none of the attendants thought about stopping me.
These days though- the last time I was at Universal I got chewed out by some teenage attendant at Hulk just for having a GoPro with me.

Of course, this means war.

Yes well, I'm fairly certain that, given the new "buy an onride video starring you" feature that debuted with Tower of Terror, within the next few years, Disney will start installing small wireless HD cameras into the ride vehicles. They'll probably call it "My Action Plus" or something similarly snappy.

You'll just swipe your Magic Band across a designated reader in front of you, and the video from that camera would be accessible on your MyMagic+ account for a short time...if you are willing to pay the nominal fee, you can download it to your smartphone or tablet via the "My Action Plus" app, and then upload it in stunning 1080p to YouTube, Vimeo, DailyMotion, etc.

Basically, Disney will be turning into The Truman Show.
7_Radio_23_thumb%5B3%5D.jpg%3Fimgmax%3D800

And now that I've posted this, on February 18, 2015 at approximately 11:25 CST, I now own this idea. If Disney actually goes through with it, I shall expect my share of suitable compensation.
Not sure if you're serious or not.
A lot of recent coaster installations have rider-facing onboard cameras for selling videos to guests.
Universal's Rip Ride Rockit and Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood immediately come to mind.

FettFan

Yeah, just a few years ago it was way easier to get away with stuff like that.
I used to be able to strap the thing to coaster restraints, handlebars, all kinds of stuff and no one cared. I guess since I was an adult and looked like I knew what I was doing none of the attendants thought about stopping me.
These days though- the last time I was at Universal I got chewed out by some teenage attendant at Hulk just for having a GoPro with me.

Of course, this means war.

Not sure if you're serious or not.
A lot of recent coaster installations have rider-facing onboard cameras for selling videos to guests.
Universal's Rip Ride Rockit and Tennessee Tornado at Dollywood immediately come to mind.

Dammit. That just goes to show you I've been spending too much time at my job. :p

Rob562

Oh that's totally fine bc that's what they're built for.....snowboarding, motocross, etc. But not for some fool to wear it to show of his latest fashion of GoPro products. Lol

Saw someone walking through Blizzard Beach with a GoPro strapped to his forehead back in November... (And this wasn't anywhere near the slides, it was over by Lottawatta Lodge)

-Rob

Bairstow

Dammit. That just goes to show you I've been spending too much time at my job. :p
What's really impressive/creepy about some of Disney's latest video/photopass installations is that your videos of you and your family riding Mine Train get uploaded to your Memory Maker account automatically, ie, no swiping your magic band- the system uses the lowfi radio broadcasts of your MagicBand to know when you and your kids are on the ride and which vehicle you're in.

From a techincal standpoint, there's no reason Disney couldn't offer you an unbroken video record of each of your family member's day at the park, splicing together the footage as you move from surveillance camera to surveillance camera.

Bairstow

Ha! That's awesome. I would love to see some video from these things! The actual reasons for owning such a camera totally out weight creepy thoughts others will have when they find out you own it!

I haven't actually bought one of these things yet.
I'm kind of waiting for the framerate/lens angle to be improved so that they're better suited as action cameras than for private investigators working divorce cases.

Daniel Johnson

I haven't actually bought one of these things yet.
I'm kind of waiting for the framerate/lens angle to be improved so that they're better suited as action cameras than for private investigators working divorce cases.

Even with the video quality it that is in the watches currently, it ain't bad. I can't get past "G-SHOOK" & "SHOOK RESIST"
Very cool find regardless!

Figaro928

In all honesty, the way Disney loves smart phone use and social media within the parks, I'm surprised they haven't slapped a few mickey ears on the selfie sticks and charge $29.95 for them within the parks... Then ask guests to upload #selfiestickdisneyside pics...

Banned in museums - yeah, of course. Banned in Disney - not.a.chance.

rct247

It's on Disney's radar. I think they are trying to figure out how to enforce it and put it in place. Sure at a place like Universal, they make people place their items in a locker, but Disney doesn't so often times they will pull it out mid ride. It is technically covered by the keep hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the vehicle clause, but even then how would you ban them. Are they banned from rides or banned from the park? Many complain about them being used in a crowd, but tell me how they intend on enforcing that in the Hub during Wishes? How is it different than parents with kids on their shoulders or people with balloons?

I think they are treading with caution because a theme park is a perfect place to use them. A museum quite frankly is not.

Mike C

Our nickname for these things is "narci-sticks" It's right up there with people using big tablets/ipads to take photos in crowds on the annoyance (and dumb looking) scale.

kgaf99

Saw someone walking through Blizzard Beach with a GoPro strapped to his forehead back in November... (And this wasn't anywhere near the slides, it was over by Lottawatta Lodge)

-Rob

what the heck?? i can see if you were on a bike or surfing. but i laugh sooo hard when i see someone walking around mk with one on. WHY???

kgaf99

It's on Disney's radar. I think they are trying to figure out how to enforce it and put it in place. Sure at a place like Universal, they make people place their items in a locker, but Disney doesn't so often times they will pull it out mid ride. It is technically covered by the keep hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the vehicle clause, but even then how would you ban them. Are they banned from rides or banned from the park? Many complain about them being used in a crowd, but tell me how they intend on enforcing that in the Hub during Wishes? How is it different than parents with kids on their shoulders or people with balloons?

I think they are treading with caution because a theme park is a perfect place to use them. A museum quite frankly is not.

the way i see it is that they NEED to do it regardless of how someone will feel. i dont believe that if someone got upset at a CM that they would never return to WDW. disney is making a mint and the fools with these sticks not coming back will not be missed. tell them to put their toys away. they'll get over it!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom