A Spirited Perfect Ten

TeddyinMO

Right!? Its a poorly executed good idea. While I think it takes a m&g to the next level, meet and greets dont need a next level! We are talking about really young kids. Their biggest complaints are if theyre mac and cheese should't touch their tater tots... The room that was utilized for cheaper attractions like this, could have easily went into a better attraction.
Sorry. I really disagree. Belle is truly the unique "Disney difference" type of experience that we all yearn for. Disney took the idea of a traditional meet and greet and expanded it into a wonderful, immersive experience. We went in January 2014 and my now 5 year old (boy) still talks about this attraction. It sticks with him more than anything else.

I always see on here people saying Disney "went cheap" on this or that. Well, here's an example of where they could have gone cheap but didn't. They built a themed experience with fantastic animatronics and made it into a family-freindly, fun and entertaining attraction. It's exactly what we all expect from Disney.

Sure, it's designed for kids and their parents. So what? That doesn't make it bad. It makes it appropriate for that portion of the audience. Other experiences are designed for different ages. And, as for the props being "cheap" as another poster said, they are very appropriate for the age using them. They are light, easily replaceable when damaged by young hands, very easy for the kids to use and, perhaps most importantly, very quick to distribute and collect, which keeps the wait time down.

If you want to argue that Disney shouldn't have M&Gs at all, that's another topic, but if they are going to do them, Belle is really the type of experience that shows what Disney can - and should - do.

Cesar R M

These foolish West Coasters. What do they know about theme park management? Spending money by closing an attraction that isn't drawing a big line and then replacing it with something new and better!

Don't they know they can just make FP+ return times available for Luigi's Flying Tires and suckers will still ride it and they can keep it forever?
I still find it weird that the commenters say "OH NEW ATTRACTION".
they are removing one attraction to add a similar one. how is that a "OH NEW ATTRACTION". the net gains is 0 attractions.

bhg469

Sorry. I really disagree. Belle is truly the unique "Disney difference" type of experience that we all yearn for. Disney took the idea of a traditional meet and greet and expanded it into a wonderful, immersive experience. We went in January 2014 and my now 5 year old (boy) still talks about this attraction. It sticks with him more than anything else.

I always see on here people saying Disney "went cheap" on this or that. Well, here's an example of where they could have gone cheap but didn't. They built a themed experience with fantastic animatronics and made it into a family-freindly, fun and entertaining attraction. It's exactly what we all expect from Disney.

Sure, it's designed for kids and their parents. So what? That doesn't make it bad. It makes it appropriate for that portion of the audience. Other experiences are designed for different ages. And, as for the props being "cheap" as another poster said, they are very appropriate for the age using them. They are light, easily replaceable when damaged by young hands, very easy for the kids to use and, perhaps most importantly, very quick to distribute and collect, which keeps the wait time down.

If you want to argue that Disney shouldn't have M&Gs at all, that's another topic, but if they are going to do them, Belle is really the type of experience that shows what Disney can - and should - do.
You can disagree all you want. Meet and greets used to take place in the parks and didnt use up valuable real estate. Now they are listed as attractions when if there were actual attractions, it would make everyone happier.

Cesar R M

There's no doubt CPs are cheap as hell for Disney, much cheaper than permanent CMs. First there are no benefits to pay, wages are lower, and as far as housing goes, the CPs are paying over $100 per week for a bunkbed in a 6-8 person apartment, so Disney is definitely making a good profit after housing expenses.

And then you add that most CPs spend almost all their days off in the parks, or at Downtown Disney, spending money, so most of their pay cheque quickly ends up back in Disney's pockets as well, and the overall cost becomes minimal.
I 'm surprised there isnt a law to limit the number of CPers or "university" students vs real employees in a company?.

doctornick

Totally agree. No matter what attraction is developed, we should want Disney to make them as top notch as possible. The idea that Disney should just "mail it in" with M&G's strikes me as the exact opposite attitude that should be promoted.

doctornick

These foolish West Coasters. What do they know about theme park management? Spending money by closing an attraction that isn't drawing a big line and then replacing it with something new and better!

Isn't the same new ride rumored to be coming to DHS (with a Toy Story theme)? And didn't they close underperforming attractions at DHS (e.g. Jack Sparrow, Backlot Tour) to accommodate new ones that are coming?

TeddyinMO

You can disagree all you want. Meet and greets used to take place in the parks and didnt use up valuable real estate. Now they are listed as attractions when if there were actual attractions, it would make everyone happier.
No way. By that logic, the parks shouldn't have shows or themed restaurants either. What makes Disney different is it's not just a bunch of rides. It's more than that. It's a themed experience. You want rides, go to Six Flags. They have more rides and more thrill rides. You want a true immersive experience, Belle is that. It is what Disney is supposed to be.

I love when characters roam even though it's rare now a days. That doesn't mean an idea like this can't fit too. It is an attraction and a very good one.

Now, I will agree with you on the Princess meet and greet on the other side of NFL... That's another story. That's a M&G using up valuable real estate with no added real value. Belle, however, is a unique, immersive attraction. They are not the same thing.

EDIT - Edited to add "themed" before restaurants. :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Totally agree. No matter what attraction is developed, we should want Disney to make them as top notch as possible. The idea that Disney should just "mail it in" with M&G's strikes me as the exact opposite attitude that should be promoted.
While that's absolutely true, I fear that the money being spent on M&Gs could have been used to give us a really great BatB dark ride, with a M&G attached. I've gone with my younger cousin twice to Enchanted Tales with Belle, and it's the best show/M&G around. However I just wish that same level of care and attention could have been put into a ride instead.

bhg469

No way. By that logic, the parks shouldn't have shows or restaurants either. What makes Disney different is it's not just a bunch of rides. It's more than that. It's a themed experience. You want rides, go to Six Flags. They have more rides and more thrill rides. You want a true immersive experience, Belle is that. It is what Disney is supposed to be.

I love when characters roam even though it's rare now a days. That doesn't mean an idea like this can't fit too. It is an attraction and a very good one.

Now, I will agree with you on the Princess meet and greet on the other side of NFL... That's another story. That's a M&G using up valuable real estate with no added real value. Belle, however, is a unique, immersive attraction. They are not the same thing.
Well we agree on one thing. I just see how the meet and greets worked in the past, and don't see the need for bigger ones. I truly believe they built these big elaborate ones to avoid spending money on real attractions..

doctornick

While that's absolutely true, I fear that the money being spent on M&Gs could have been used to give us a really great BatB dark ride, with a M&G attached. I've gone with my younger cousin twice to Enchanted Tales with Belle, and it's the best show/M&G around. However I just wish that same level of care and attention could have been put into a ride instead.

Disney has plenty of money and WDW has plenty of space. There's absolutely no reason they couldn't have done a fantastic enhanced M&G with ETWB and not had other additional attractions in the FLE -- it should not be an either/or.

I think they did a poor job of utilizing the FLE space as efficiently as possible and there absolutely should have been 1-2 more rides in the expansion, but that all should have been in addition to the great attraction they developed with ETWB.

spacemt354

Chili's
Disney has plenty of money and WDW has plenty of space. There's absolutely no reason they couldn't have done a fantastic enhanced M&G with ETWB and not had other additional attractions in the FLE -- it should not be an either/or.

I think they did a poor job of utilizing the FLE space as efficiently as possible and there absolutely should have been 1-2 more rides in the expansion, but that all should have been in addition to the great attraction they developed with ETWB.
That's what I meant. There's no reason why we couldn't have had both. The logic now is that M&Gs are attractions and therefore deserve attraction type real estate in the parks. That's where I disagree because the M&G itself is so exclusive to a certain guest population and does not have a high occupancy rate where an attraction could take care of both those needs.

PhotoDave219

Are they unionized? I have no idea. Not that that would fix much without other problems but it seems like the full timers need better representation.

Yes, but Union in name only. It does very little for them when it comes to collective bargaining.

I'll give you a prime example. The last union contract (5 year contract) that got approved, it promised a $1.50/hr raise... over 3 years. All of the teamsters voted against it. All of the housekeepers votd for it... and it passed. Then the housekeepers started wondering where their raise was as they only got $.50/hr raise. They completely missed that the raise would take 3 years to fulfill. Such is the entire concept of the Service Trades Council.

Overall? Labor relations at WDW is a flat-out joke.

PhotoDave219

Yes but Money = Profit. Profit = Higher Stock Price. High Stock Price = lil Bobby can buy that Bugatti

bhg469

Yes, but Union in name only. It does very little for them when it comes to collective bargaining.

I'll give you a prime example. The last union contract (5 year contract) that got approved, it promised a $1.50/hr raise... over 3 years. All of the teamsters voted against it. All of the housekeepers votd for it... and it passed. Then the housekeepers started wondering where their raise was as they only got $.50/hr raise. They completely missed that the raise would take 3 years to fulfill. Such is the entire concept of the Service Trades Council.

Overall? Labor relations at WDW is a flat-out joke.
Thanks for explaining that. I am not usually pro union at all but I have only worked at places that my company treated me well.. People would have very minor gripes and would constantly try to unionize. In the case of the wdw workers, it seems that there is a bit of unfair practices happening.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks for explaining that. I am not usually pro union at all but I have only worked at places that my company treated me well.. People would have very minor gripes and would constantly try to unionize. In the case of the wdw workers, it seems that there is a bit of unfair practices happening.

Being a right to work state... Unions are knee-capped compared to states where they can mandate membership and block non-union participation, etc. That, and unions in general have hurt themselves in the public eye over decades of selfish or corrupt behavior... undercutting much of the public sympathy they used to get.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If Ca was as anti-vax as people think, a highly contagious measles epidemic would not be roughly a hundred, it would be in the tens or hundreds of thousands by now.

Is there anything to the counter point about CA being so big.. that addressing it as if it were a singular demographic dillutes the problem audience? Meaning.. if we were to talk SoCal or the basin specifically instead of all of Cali.. would your defense change? Just wondering..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom