A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cody5294

I haven't seen anyone talk about this for a while but is Magic Kingdom still getting a new nighttime show in the next few years? Last I heard was 2016

DisDan

So Queen Elsa gets a tan and hair dye and now she is Hispanic?

ht_Elena_2_lb_150129_16x9_992.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This bandwagon about harping over the same artistic style being used repeatedly for human characters is a bit old.

Agree, However the new 'Moana' artwork IF GENUINE, is not only the same style (which I can see as it's kind of a Disney animation signature if you will) but its the same CHARACTER with a different (tan) palette.

A pacific islander with nordic features is a bit much...

Rutt

A signing bonus isn't typically 10X your base salary. It's hard to call $400M a signing bonus. Whatever you want to call it, he negotiated a package to run the company for the next 10 years which included a base salary plus equity. It's not uncommon for tech company executives to take most or all of their pay in stock.

If Bob Iger's renewed contract had included grants of DIS shares worth $47M per year in Disney stock and a base salary of $8 per hour would he be making the same amount of money as a fry cook at Cosmic Rays? Nope. You can't compare 2 CEOs pay without including equity.

IMHO both guys are grossly overpaid but neither company's shareholders care since they brought results.
But this doesn't fit the narrative that Iger is the only CEO who's job is to make money. He's certainly the only greedy one in the world...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I get the feeling any female character, regardless of actual appearance, will now be referred to as the 'whatever ethnicity you wanna use' Elsa.
Of all the things to complain about with Disney...

When they use the SAME 3D model, Yes, yes it will, Disney has fallen to the point where they will apparently not even bother to change the character model - just change some colors around and call it done.

Not even attempting to put appropriate features on the character is just wrong on so many levels and speaks to the creative bankruptcy which is endemic at TWDC.

Rutt

When they use the SAME 3D model, Yes, yes it will, Disney has fallen to the point where they will apparently not even bother to change the character model - just change some colors around and call it done.

Not even attempting to put appropriate features on the character is just wrong on so many levels and speaks to the creative bankruptcy which is endemic at TWDC.
Is this really something new though?

Are the older princesses drastically different from each other? I could probably do the same with most of the older princesses.

I mean to me, Anna looks like a dark haired Rapunzel....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
"Nordic features"? What does that mean? She has cartoon features to me.

Elsa's a 'Toon indeed but one with caucasian features typically found in northern europe, Moana's a pacific islander they SHOULD NOT look alike except for color, Lilo looks like a pacific islander, But Lilo and Stitch were made when Disney actually cared about the details.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is this really something new though?

Are the older princesses drastically different from each other? I could probably do the same with most of the older princesses.

I mean to me, Anna looks like a dark haired Rapunzel....

Yes - the older princesses do all look similar but they all came from french and german fairy tales so one would expect that they would all look vaguely 'european' if you will, With the exception of Mulan, Pocahontas and Tiana who were also appropriate to their regions.

CaptainAmerica

Elsa's a 'Toon indeed but one with caucasian features typically found in northern europe, Moana's a pacific islander they SHOULD NOT look alike except for color, Lilo looks like a pacific islander, But Lilo and Stitch were made when Disney actually cared about the details.
When Disney creates characters with "ethnic" features, they're accused of racism.

The merchant from Aladdin
Jafar
Sebastian (not looks, but voice)
Pocahontas

Rutt

Elsa does not look all that Norwegian either, nor does Anna. That's 3d for you. Most of te characters fromCloudy or Despicable Me etc all look interchangeable as well to me.
Yes - the older princesses do all look similar but they all came from french and german fairy tales so one would expect that they would all look vaguely 'european' if you will, With the exception of Mulan, Pocahontas and Tiana who were also appropriate to their regions.
French and German people have many distinguishing features of their own. The princesses looked almost like clones of each other with different clothing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When Disney creates characters with "ethnic" features, they're accused of racism.

The merchant from Aladdin
Jafar
Sebastian (not looks, but voice)
Pocahontas

There is after all a cottage industry based on tossing the race card in the US these days, So I'm not surprised saddened but not surprised.

Your examples

Merchant from Aladdin - If you have BEEN to the ME this guy looks like lots of guys in the local Souk or Bazzar
Jafar - He's just an evil wizard not the kind of guy you invite over (he looks a bit like Yensid if you ask me)
Sebastian - Sounds like a performer from any carribean steel drum band
Pocahontas - An idealized native american

I don't know whats Racist about these characters

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom