A Spirited Perfect Ten

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, at some point in the last 8ish years, TWC lost their dang minds. Their website is now nothing but "Could THIS Be The Most Deadly Year For Weather EVER??" and similar sensationalist cr@p. I used to like their site back in the day, too. Oh well.

They saw the success the Foxes/MSNBC/CNN antics got and went with it. 'Murica doing it to ourselves...

Cesar R M

Yes @WDW1974 Disney HAS gone over to the Dark Side, They are now VIACOM without the creativity,

When in-house people accidentally produce a success i.e. 'Phineas and Ferb' - which was wildly popular with kids, teens and adults especially those with the nerd gene they kill it and replace it with some generic C--p.

It's almost as if they are afraid of creating their own franchises.

I'm just waiting for the day when TWDC is renamed Iger Media Holdings LLC.
This suddenly reminds me of the Cartoon Network fiascos.
Where they create a successful series, just to kill them. All because they never "fit" their expectations of selling merchandise. (like Young Justice, where they expected ONLY MEN and KIDS to like the series.. but girls and female teenagers loved the series as well. so CN management pulled the plug)
Nickelodeon in the other side.. managed to create successful franchises (Avatar) and not do the same stupid movements.

Cesar R M

Yeah, at some point in the last 8ish years, TWC lost their dang minds. Their website is now nothing but "Could THIS Be The Most Deadly Year For Weather EVER??" and similar sensationalist cr@p. I used to like their site back in the day, too. Oh well.
probably because they really need hits to sell ads?
most people only watches for a quick weather report.. nothing else.
And a lot of people have programs that parse the information automatically on their devices.. skipping the weatherchannel's main site completely.

Did someone forget to tell them that that movie was horrendous?
I liked the movie :(

RayTheFirefly

Disney needs a ship at Galveston/Houston longer than they do. Here's to two more ships soon. Would love to see New Orleans used by Disney too.
I think it would be awesome to have a ship come out of New Orleans with a Princess and the Frog show and characters or something. Relate it to the city. I mean "Dreams do come true in New Orleans"? Sounds like perfect marketing to me. Then again, I might be partial. :p

RayTheFirefly

probably because they really need hits to sell ads?
most people only watches for a quick weather report.. nothing else.
And a lot of people have programs that parse the information automatically on their devices.. skipping the weatherchannel's main site completely.

I liked the movie :(
I suppose it was ok if you look at it as an animated movie.

No... sorry, I still think it was bad. Sorry. :(

tribbleorlfl

Ashley Eckstein. Married to World Series MVP David Eckstein. Whom is fantastic to talk baseball with......
Heck of a nice guy. My wife did one of her internships at SHS when he did a fundraiser to help with the baseball team's expenses. Signed autographs and took pictures for over an hour, and was far more engaging with the fans than most of the athletes I've encountered in this hobby.

bhg469

I'd go prequel at the start. 1930s. Pre-Temple of Doom. Make a few early stories, then fill in between Crusade and Crystsl Skull.

As a bit of an Indy fanatic, I'm all for it. Pratt works for me. Might as well make the best use of Iger's purchases since they will be his only real legacy...
My only hope is that Pratt doesn't go all Harrison Ford on us in a few years.

Donald Razorduck

They tried a full-time ship in Galveston and couldn't fill it. There were some good last minute prices on some of the sailings.

Didn't know that, how long ago? With the continued growth in Texas, I wonder if it is becoming more feasible again. Galveston still needs more improving but things are looking way up. We went there last summer, between Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston Pleasure Pier, Moody Gardens and Shlitterbahn there's plenty of stuff to do right before and after a cruise with kids and there's more coming to the area. When I was there, Galveston was in the process of expanding or adding another a terminal. Plus Houston has it's terminal going.

Magenta Panther

See this is total brand advocation. I think you honestly believe that most people go to Disney parks because of their love of the Disney brand. Not simply because they are amazing theme parks in an amazing family vacation environment. You believe that MOST people are bothered by the fact the Indy isn't Disney and shouldn't be in the parks. I think you're dillusional. Most families don't know, and don't care. That is one major reason that Universal has been able to make not only make "in roads" into Disney's market, but a freakin' interstate highway.

My apologies to @WDW1974, here in Otown, it has become the IP WARS. But, and that's a big but, that doesn't mean TWDC has to look outside of their vast library of IPs to find suitable IPs to exploit. You can blame to boys up the street for causing the IP WARS. And bare in mind, they still have an ace or two in their hand yet to drop.

And yet Walt Disney World still eats Universal's lunch when it comes to park attendance. Why is that, I wonder? ;) Well, it's obvious, actually - it's the Disney difference. Magic, enchantment, pixie dust, Walt, whatever...it's what helps keep Disney distinct and apart and above other parks like Universal, Busch Gardens, etc, which are quite nice places with some great attractions - but they're not Disney, and people know it and visit and spend accordingly. Because I beg to differ - most families DO know and DO care. Injecting more Disney into DCA is what saved it; even Iger acknowledges that.

Yes, WDW needs to build more and invest more into its attractions. That doesn't mean it has to look outside itself to find concepts that will attract more park guests. Its past and CURRENT success with its own creations proves that.

Rodan75

Disney is sitting on its history, its legacy, its IPs largely. Time Warner is not a great analogy, although there probably isn't one.

Disney is unique in the media/entertainment business. As soon as it becomes just a collection of BRANDS, the core of what made it special and unique is diminished. I'd argue that is exactly what has happened. I'm not an ESPN fan for life. I didn't grow up pretending I was Captain America with my friends and dressing as him for Halloween. I may love the Muppets, but I also realize that Disney likely wasted their chance to be truly relevant in a big way again. I saw the original six Star Wars films in multiplexes. But my desire to see The Young Bobba Fett Chronicles isn't even on the charts compared with seeing EPCOT get some love or the MK or anywhere at WDW. I am struggling to name three shows on ABC Family or the Disney Channel right now.

What I am saying and, likely not very well as it's been a long ar$e day, is that the day that Mickey, animation and theme parks don't define the company to the masses, then it's time to break it up and sell off the pieces. Because SportsCenter, Handy Manny, Darth Vader and the Hulk sure as hell don't.

Disney is Mickey Mouse, an animation legacy dating to the dawn of film making and Disneyland.

That is it.

If you think the other stuff is more important (and more valuable), then you've gone over to the real world dark side.

I agree Disney is unique and it has always been unique. While I think we can both agree that the current TWDC is not what Walt Disney may have envisioned, while you would rather break it up. I prefer to see TWDC continue to try and inject their essence into these new brands and businesses. I grew up watching Disney Afternoon, Disney Movies, Star Wars and reading Marvel comics they all have equal weight to me. If TWDC bought Hasbro and added GI Joe and Transformers to their IP Army I would have a complete and utter nerdgasm. But while I'm at nerd at heart, my head is focused on business survival and synergy and I think these moves to redefine TWDC have strengthened the company in ways that will pay off for the next 20+ years. (Added Hasbro wouldn't fit the current licensing model and would add unnecessary cost overhead to a pure profit business)

My view is that Eisner resuscitated TWDC and protected it from becoming Hanna Barbera and Iger has built on that to ensure that TWDC has a long term future. That doesn't mean that I believe in everything that each man has done at the helm, but that the broad strokes of what they have done is positive.

When we compare Disney 2015 to Disney 1959 or 1971 or 1982 we don't also look at how media companies are run in 2015. We don't compare Les Moonves salary to Iger's, we don't look at the way employees are treated at Sony Pictures or Dreamworks, we don't compare TWDC stock buy backs to its Fortune 500 peers.

I agree that Disney is different and should be held to a higher standard, but to fail to acknowledge the realities of 2015 seems short sighted and relegates these discussions to fringe vs thoughtful analysis and opinion.

Rodan75

Disney is sitting on its history, its legacy, its IPs largely. Time Warner is not a great analogy, although there probably isn't one.

Disney is unique in the media/entertainment business. As soon as it becomes just a collection of BRANDS, the core of what made it special and unique is diminished. I'd argue that is exactly what has happened. I'm not an ESPN fan for life. I didn't grow up pretending I was Captain America with my friends and dressing as him for Halloween. I may love the Muppets, but I also realize that Disney likely wasted their chance to be truly relevant in a big way again. I saw the original six Star Wars films in multiplexes. But my desire to see The Young Bobba Fett Chronicles isn't even on the charts compared with seeing EPCOT get some love or the MK or anywhere at WDW. I am struggling to name three shows on ABC Family or the Disney Channel right now.

What I am saying and, likely not very well as it's been a long ar$e day, is that the day that Mickey, animation and theme parks don't define the company to the masses, then it's time to break it up and sell off the pieces. Because SportsCenter, Handy Manny, Darth Vader and the Hulk sure as hell don't.

Disney is Mickey Mouse, an animation legacy dating to the dawn of film making and Disneyland.

That is it.

If you think the other stuff is more important (and more valuable), then you've gone over to the real world dark side.

And yes...I know I've gone over to the real world dark side...

FigmentFreak

Didn't know that, how long ago? With the continued growth in Texas, I wonder if it is becoming more feasible again. Galveston still needs more improving but things are looking way up. We went there last summer, between Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston Pleasure Pier, Moody Gardens and Shlitterbahn there's plenty of stuff to do right before and after a cruise with kids and there's more coming to the area. When I was there, Galveston was in the process of expanding or adding another a terminal. Plus Houston has it's terminal going.

If memory serves me correctly, and it doesn't always, they were in Galveston for about a year up until Dec 2013 and they have cruises showing on their schedule for the holiday season Nov 2015/Dec 2015/Jan 2016. Not sure why they couldn't fill the ships without lowering prices, guess we're just frugal here in Texas.

Rodan75

Do you think there's any chance Iger will stay on as Chairman of the Board for a short period after the new CEO takes over? I think it could help ease the anxiety from Wall Street. It may possibly delay meaningful change though. I would hope that the CEO/chairman positions are split apart after Iger steps down.

I think we probably will have Iger as chairman through 2020 at least. You don't just 'swap out' leaders of companies the size of TWDC with no net, unless there is a scandal or major performance issues. Iger has done well enough that he will likely stay chairman and likely stay on the board for awhile. (unless he wants to move on)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom