The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

Californian Elitist

What?: The Nightmare Before Christmas 4D

Where?: El Capitan Theatre on Hollywood and Highland

How far from Disneyland?: Maybe 40+ minutes away

How much?: Varies

Every year, usually during the last week of October, the El Capitan in Hollywood screens The Nightmare Before Christmas in 4D. There are all sorts of really cool special effects and extra activities/offerings either before or after the screening. Danny Elfman sometimes makes an appearance, too, as well as other special guests. The screenings unsurprisingly attract lots of Nightmare fans, Disney fans and the general public. Something to consider if you're visiting in late October.

This year's ad:

TNBC_NP_Large3.jpg

Danny Elfman introduces Amy Lee, performing "Sally's Song" in 2008:

GiveMeTheMusic

I'd like to say thanks to @TP2000 for his Palm Springs tramway recommendation! Met some friends from out of town in Palm Springs a few weeks ago and after a yummy brunch decided we needed to something to do. I flashed back to this thread and remembered the aerial tramway - we rode it and it was AWESOME! A great side trip and the tram itself is a blast. A bit Fun Wheel-esque at moments when you pass the towers. :)

choco choco

Thank you SO much for this thread!!! Just found out I'm going to a conference in January for three days and it's at Disneyland Hotel!!!

My hubby's coming along for our first big trip without our 4 and 6 year old kiddos. Neither of us have ever been to California and we have always wanted to go!
We are going to have three evenings (after 5pm) and one full day to explore. We've decided we aren't going to do any of the Disneyland Parks since we plan on taking our kids there in few years. My number one thing I've always wanted to do is drive up the coast so we are using our full day to do that. I was thinking Malibu to Lompoc and back might be nice with a stop for dinner in Santa Barbara. Do you think that's too much for one day or can we go farther? Ideally we would leave Anaheim around 8:30 am and get back around 10:00 or 11:00 pm.

Thanks again! I look forward to using this thread for our trip planning!

It's too far to make it. I'm intrigued as to why you are choosing to go to Lompoc. It's a military town purposely designed to be remote and inaccessible, so that the Air Force can conduct their experiments far from any prying eyes. There's really nothing to recommend there, and it isn't particularly by the ocean.

Additionally, there isn't much to see on that road once past Santa Barbara. Yes, Highway 1 rides along the coast for a period of time, but it's actually pretty barren. It's almost a straight shot highway. There are very few "scenic stops" along the way, the highway is separated from the beach by a busy train track, and there is absolutely no roadside services, shops or attractions anywhere.

I would suggest you get up to Santa Barbara and call it good, hang around and then turn back. It certainly will be a full day, winding along the coast takes a long time.

Californian Elitist

What?: The Last Bookstore (best bookstore ever)

Where?: 453 S Spring ST (Downtown Los Angeles)

How far from Disneyland?: 35+ minutes away

How much?: It's free admission, but bring money to buy books and other goodies

The Last Bookstore is an amazing bookstore located in the historical section of Downtown Los Angeles, specifically the Old Bank District. The store indeed used to be an early 1900's bank, but now it's a gem of a store located in the heart of LA. They sell both used and new books, for great prices, too! There's a steampunk vibe to it that's really cool. On the second floor, there is a labyrinth that leads to even more books(!), a tunnel made of books (every book lover's obsession), and individual shops, including art galleries, a jewelry shop, a yarn/stitching store, and a seriously awesome vintage store (I got an old wallet, key holder, and a pair of sunglasses straight from the 1970's there!). These shops are all owned by individual sellers. The bookstore also sells used DVDs, vinyls, records, and CDs. It doesn't get better than that. I love books and I'm currently one semester from receiving my B.A. in English, so it's no surprise The Last Bookstore is one of my favorite places, but I'd still recommend the store to anyone. It's truly amazing.

The_Last_Bookstore_ejpnjdqa.jpg

thelastbookstorewindowlogo1.jpg

last-bookstore-1.jpg

lat-cindy-last-bookstore-la0008382708-20130131

8088005340_7d774cb587_z.jpg

Most amazing tunnel:

la-ca-0303-last-bookstore-pictures

1000w

Even the checkout counter is made of books!

the-last-bookstore-by-bryan-frank.jpg

One of the art galleries on the second floor:

last-bookstore-23.jpg

p1000253.jpg

Here's the vintage store I love so much (the woman in the photo is the owner and she's very kind):

fold-gallery-and-curio-shop-at-the-last-bookstore-4.jpg

This is obviously the yarn store:

364.jpg

TP2000

I'd like to say thanks to @TP2000 for his Palm Springs tramway recommendation! Met some friends from out of town in Palm Springs a few weeks ago and after a yummy brunch decided we needed to something to do. I flashed back to this thread and remembered the aerial tramway - we rode it and it was AWESOME! A great side trip and the tram itself is a blast. A bit Fun Wheel-esque at moments when you pass the towers. :)

Oh, I'm so glad you did that! It really is a SoCal exclusive delight, since 1963. The revolving cabins they added a decade or so ago make it even more fun.

A fun day trip from Disneyland with dinner to follow in Palm Springs, or just a good way to spend the afternoon in Palm Springs, post-brunch or pre-dinner.

Californian Elitist

What?: The oldest standing McDonald's

Where?: Downey, California

How far from Disneyland?: Roughly 15 miles away (20 minutes away)

How much?: Free, if you don't plan on buying food

The most popular and well-known fast food chain is located pretty much everywhere around the world, but the mega chain got its start in good ole' California, specifically in San Bernardino in 1940. Back then, burgers and fries were cooked fresh, unlike now, and as one could naturally assume, the menu was much smaller. Speedee was McDonald's original mascot, a little man dressed with a chef hat, before Ronald McDonald (who is creepy) eventually took over. The original location is now gone, along with the second location, but the third location is still standing, thus making it the oldest (opened in 1953). Almost everything is left in tact and the menu is kept small here. Some of the employees where vintage uniforms, including paper hats and there's a small museum guests can check out. One of the best things about this location is the fact that they still sell fried apple pies! McDonald's is not what it used to be and it's name has somewhat been tarnished (I don't even really eat McDonald's anymore), but I sincerely believe this is a nice piece of California/American history to check out. If you don't care about this kind of stuff, just go for the fried apple pies.

Original location, which is now gone, with the exception of a sign:

the-original-mcdonalds-restaurant-everett.jpg

Still standing (Downey location):

04_Oldest_McDonalds_640.jpg.jpg

DowneyMcdonalds.jpg

Some of the items in the museum:

inside-the-museum.jpg

Last edited:

eastvillage

Going up the 5 is the quickest at around 6 -7 hours depending on traffic. There is not much to look at. Going up the 1 is more like 9 hours if you don’t stop and you’ll want to stop. If you choose to go up the 1 I highly recommend taking your time and staying overnight in a place like Morro Bay. Then you can stop along the way and enjoy it.

Places the stop and site see along the 101 and 1 include Santa Barbara, Solvang, Morro Bay, Cambria, Hearst Castle (highly recommended taking a tour) Monterey, Santa Cruz and more. The central coast of California is amazing and a little bit of a secret to people outside California.

You honestly would be doing yourself a disservice if you went up the 1 in a hurry. If you have the time it is worth it, but if there is no time, go up the 5 or better yet take a flight. They are cheap and fast. Flights from John Wayne airport to the Bay area are cheap and frequent.

Really excited to read your comment. I'm attending a friend's wedding in SF next week and decided to fly into LAX (and maybe spend a day at DLR) for a few days and then spend two nights driving up the PCH. I booked hotel/motels in Morro Bay and Monterey! Really excited. I have a question...I'd like to stay on 1 as much as possible, but when looking at the map, 1 seems to wrap through AF bases around Lompoc. Is it best to switch over to 101 until San Luis Obispo and then hop back on 1? Or will I be missing much?

Thanks! Can't wait!

Travel Junkie

Really excited to read your comment. I'm attending a friend's wedding in SF next week and decided to fly into LAX (and maybe spend a day at DLR) for a few days and then spend two nights driving up the PCH. I booked hotel/motels in Morro Bay and Monterey! Really excited. I have a question...I'd like to stay on 1 as much as possible, but when looking at the map, 1 seems to wrap through AF bases around Lompoc. Is it best to switch over to 101 until San Luis Obispo and then hop back on 1? Or will I be missing much?

Thanks! Can't wait!

I would stay on the 101. It eats up a lot of time and there isn’t a whole lot to see. The AF base takes up most of the good stuff and is off limits.

I would recommend from LA, to take the 1 north through Santa Monica and Malibu. At Point Mugu I would then take Las Posas road to connect back to the 101 if you are concerned with time. You can continue on the 1, but it mostly farmland and city streets before it runs into the 101. Once back on the 101 I would take it all the way up to San Luis Obispo and take the 1 from there all the way up the coast.

Figments Friend

Thanks! Can't wait!

Hope you have a great time!
:)

Figments Friend

Thank you @Virtual Insanity and @Figments Friend !!!

Have any of you visited Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills? Or gone on the Santa Monica Pier free historical walking tour? Any thoughts on these?

I have not visited either of those to date....but came close to visiting the Pier twice when i did massive road trips with friends a few years ago.
When i was looking into it at the time, the impression i had was Santa Monica Pier was worth checking out if you are in the area some afternoon.

BigDave

This is exactly the post I was looking for. Going to LA with the family this summer. Any suggestions on family hotels near hollywood or near disneyland? Also was thinking about going up to big bear lake to get away for a few days...is it worth it?

Figments Friend

Big Bear Lake was highly recommended to me a few years ago before i took my first trip to California.
Have yet to have visited, but it looks pretty spectacular from a scenic standpoint.
It was not a high priority for me however to see at the time, as it looked very similar to Maine and New Hampshire settings i have experienced many times in my past.
I have done a lot of camping in the mountains in those areas...so..it seemed too similar.
When i came to California, i wanted 'new' experiences that i could not 'get back home'.

There are a lot of inexpensive hotels around the Disneyland area. A quick search on Travelocity or Expedia should pull several choices up.
Beware however that a LOT of hotels like to place the title 'at the Park' or 'at the Maingate' into their title when many are not as close as they would like you to think!
The only hotels that are truly 'at the Park' or directly across from the main entrance are hotel lined up on Harbor Blvd.
Be sure to view a map before booking if you are concerned about distances.

You likely won't find any 'bargins' on Harbor Blvd at those close locations...but sometimes you can score a deal.
Katella Ave also has a selection of hotels, some much more reasonable price wise.

PacNWTigger

You likely won't find any 'bargins' on Harbor Blvd at those close locations...but sometimes you can score a deal. Katella Ave also has a selection of hotels, some much more reasonable price wise.
I wholeheartedly agree with @Figments Friend about the hotels on Katella! I have had wonderful luck at the Annabella Hotel...even got an upgraded room and free breakfast the last time we stayed there.

Minnie1976

My husband and I are planning a trip to Disneyland next year. Can anyone tell me the name of a good tour to San Diego for the day? Two years ago we took a tour bus to Universal. It was Valentines and people on the bus had plans. Instead of taking us back to our hotels in the Disneyland area we sat on the bus by the Roosevelt Hotel for a long time waiting for 2 people. Yes, we were able to get off the bus for a short while, but people missed reservations and our plans were ruined. I don't want to get tied up with an organization like this again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom