Pressed Pennies -- where to find them and how much??

kniquy

Original Poster
I am used to usually paying 51 cents for a pressed penny but i was wondering if at Disney World --

what do they cost?
and any suggestions of locations where you find them.
Does each park have different ones or are they pretty generic just Disney ones- the same ones at every park?

I am hoping to collect a bunch as this is an inexpensive souvenir.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I am used to usually paying 51 cents for a pressed penny but i was wondering if at Disney World --

what do they cost?
and any suggestions of locations where you find them.
Does each park have different ones or are they pretty generic just Disney ones- the same ones at every park?

I am hoping to collect a bunch as this is an inexpensive souvenir.
I can answer a couple of these questions, having just gotten back.

The pressed pennies are indeed 51 cents. They have added a new one as well, pressed quarters, which are I think $1.50 (or $1.25, cant quite remember).
I found them all over the place, in most merch locations in the parks. I know my kids were messing around with them outside the Garden Grill in Epcot, and we got one done across from TSMM in DHS. The one we got was specific to the area we were in (Toy Story options), but I don't know how crazy they go to perfectly theme every single one to the area they are located. I'd guess there are a bunch of generic ones and a few fairly specific ones.

habuma

All of the information given thus far is correct. 51 cents (50 cents + 1 penny to press) is the cost. For pressed quarters, it's $1.25 ($1.00 in quarters + 1 quarter to press). And there's 1 pressed dime machine in the arcade in Tomorrowland (I don't recall the price, though).

We've pressed a penny here and there over the years, but on our upcoming trip we're planning to get a TON of pressed pennies. A bit of pre-trip preparation advice for pressed penny collectors:

* Use pre-1982 pennies. After 1982, pennies are mostly zinc with a copper coating and when you press them the zinc coloring comes through. Prior to 1982, pennies are mostly copper with very little zinc. In case you're having trouble remembering the year, it's simple: 1982 was the year Epcot opened...get pre-Epcot pennies.
* Shine those pennies up before you press them. We put 1/4 cup of vinegar in an old pickle jar, added a teaspoon or so of salt, and then dropped in a dozen or so pennies at a time. Swirl them around and after they start looking new-ish (10-30 seconds), remove and rinse them off. While they're still wet, rub some baking soda over them by hand and they usually shine up quite nice.
* Go buy a few of those M&M tubes at the store. Empty the M&Ms out and use them to carry your quarters and pennies. I've found that of the larger M&M tubes holds $20 in quarters (enough to press 40 pennies).
* Get one (or two or three) of those pressed coin books. You can buy them at WDW or on Amazon. Once the pennies are pressed, you won't want to carry them around with the unpressed pennies, so it's good to have those books handy.
* Go to http://www.presscoins.com/ and get to know where different machines are located and what designs are available. By my count, there are currently over 500 different designs in and around WDW. That'd cost you over $250 (not to mention a lot of time) to get them all, so it's best to narrow your choices and have a plan around which coins you want to get.

Have fun! I know we're looking forward to flattening a few coins in a few weeks.

dreamfinder

Keep in mind that the machines are moved often. When things get refurbed, changed, whatever, the machines are easy to move so may not be where lists say they are. Almost all of them are fairly unique, it may not be park/attraction specific, but you won't find that many duplicate designs.

kniquy

Original Poster
Very great info from everyone!! I checked the pressed penny website and i had no clue there would be that many pennies or coins available. We probably won't change our plans just to hunt for pennies but will certainly get them when we see them. i have my family on the hunt for pre 1982 pennies.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
You can go to Guest Services and ask for the Coin Press Maps & Checklist. It contains 4 maps of the theme parks and an 8-page listing of all the coin presses at the resorts. If they don't have a list handy they should be able to print out the latest version for you. I have last done this in 2012 so I don't know if they still do it, but you can try.

coin-1.jpg
coin-2.jpg
coin-3.jpg
coin-4.jpg
coin-5.jpg

DizneyPryncess

We did this in May, our daughter loved collecting pennies. We got the map from guest services, but ended up just winging it. When we saw a machine, we'd go check it out. If she really liked one, we'd get it for her penny press book. My mother in law had given her a mini m&m container filled with pennies, and another filled with quarters, as a gift before we left. So she was set! I especially liked the coins in the World Showcase, since they were themed for each country. Have fun!

midnightsun

(i.e. I can't get Prince Eric to complete my Princes because the machine has a different design now and this bums me out big time).

I know!!! :( I was doing/going to do the Princes and Villains series but now Prince Eric is not available and Jafar for the villains is gone too. SO disappointing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom