Citizens of Hollywood? Who? Where? When?

habuma

Original Poster
Sounds like y'all had a great trip -- glad y'all got some good "Citizens" time in.

Indeed. Sad to have missed out on seeing a few of my CoH favorites like Jack Diamond and Officer Peabody, but enjoyed the shows we did see.

For the purposes of sharing that enjoyment, here are the links to the videos that I captured:
  • Holiday Glee Club:
  • Hollywood Public Works:
  • Ben Appetite and Vladimir Pooey (not sure what this routine is called):

Note that my daughters participated in 2 of the 3 videos above making it especially fun.

habuma

Original Poster
Glad y'all had fun -- when's your next trip??

I dunno. Hoping to make a Disney trip again in 2013, but we're thinking of going west to see the Carsland stuff. Maybe WDW again in 2014 to catch the completed New Fantasyland, including the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train coaster.

FWIW, the whole belief that DHS is a half-day park is completely bogus. We spent a full day there, open-to-close, took full advantage of Fastpass whenever we could, and only once did we do the same attraction twice (ToT...my favorite ride there)..and we still didn't see *everything*. I'd say it's a 2-day park...3 if you want to take it leisurely and catch plenty of CoH/HPW shows.

Exactly!! When someone tells me they either don't go to the Studios at all, or only rush in & out (for whatever), I just shrug my shoulders and say "ok" -- that's less people in the parks when I'm there, LOL!

I'm tired of trying to convince people that it's worth another look -- to slow down & enjoy the atmosphere, etc. etc. etc.

Well, it's that time of year again -- actor contact negotiations. A number of Citizens were not renewed (and some chose to leave). Here's the list of characters we won't be seeing anymore (at least in their current incarnations):

Betty Shambles
Mimi Kaboom (the actress is leaving of her own free will)
Daley Reels
Holden Hollywood

Mid-May is usually the actual time that the contracts end, so you still have a few months to catch your favorites!!

JCH

I have been to Disney many times and finally watched Citizens this summer. The were terrific and will look for them in the future.

habuma

Original Poster
Time for a thread bump...

Was at DHS last week and caught a few CoH/HPW appearances on December 8th. Videos forthcoming...

At the Calvacade of Stars around the hat we saw:
  • Mimi Kaboom (#3)
  • Daley Reels
  • Stone Granite
  • Betty Shambles (#2)
  • Evie Starlight
  • Dorma Nesmond
  • Shelby Mayer
  • Ben Appetite
  • Dara Vamp
Later (around 2:30pm), I barely caught the last few bits of Jack Diamond's magic act on Hollywood Blvd. Sad that I didn't make it there to see the whole show.

Finally, both I and my oldest daughter were recruited by the HPW guys to help spray a tree for Bolivian bark weevils over by Toluca Legs. Buddy Flowers was one of the HPW crew, but I'm less familiar with the other two guys. One was named Zeke, but I didn't catch the name of the boss. (Would be grateful if someone would help me out on the names of the new guys.)

Also, just saw this video () for the Hollywood Holiday Public Works. The boss in that video looks like the boss I saw on Dec 8th, but without the same accent in his voice. I couldn't help but notice that the one named "Garland" in that video bears a striking resemblance to one of Hollywood's police officers.

habuma

Original Poster
Bumping this thread again with a quick update. Was at DHS on Tuesday and caught 3 CoH shows. Interestingly enough, each member of my family was involved in some way or another with those shows.
  • We encountered Evie Starlight, Ace Victory, and Mimi Kaboom giving out free compliments to anyone who ran up and rang a bell. My oldest daughter rang the bell and was complimented on her sparkly shirt, blue eyes, and natural blonde hair (to which Evie protested that *her* hair was natural blonde).
  • After walking away from that bit, we saw Chloe Canard, Stone Granite, Shelby Mayer, and Betty Shambles finishing up the "Hollywood Hot Seat" bit. We arrived just in time for Stone to ask my wife about a wedding present we had received. She replied with a quilt and the citizens ran with that to say how marriage is like a quilt.
  • We grabbed a cupcake at Starring Rolls and then went back to wait for the CoH to appear. They did and we caught the Funniest Citizen competition with Mimi Kaboom, Betty Shambles, Jack Diamond, Stone Granite, Dara Vamp, and Officer Peabody competing and with Ace Victory hosting. Ace asked me a bit about what kinds of jokes I like and then use "camera" (which I was holding) as the subject of the practice round. Later, he handed some money to my youngest daughter for not getting any of the jokes.
Links to videos forthcoming as soon as I get a chance to edit them.

As always, the most amazing thing is all of the people who walk right on by without stopping to take in this awesome entertainment. I'd seriously use a FP+ option to get good seats for CoH shows.

mergatroid

Interesting thread this. A quick question though, do the characters have different performers on different days? For instance could a different actress play Mimi on a Monday whilst a different person plays her at the weekend, or do they stay the same with just one person being that character?

Tinkrbell

Interesting thread this. A quick question though, do the characters have different performers on different days? For instance could a different actress play Mimi on a Monday whilst a different person plays her at the weekend, or do they stay the same with just one person being that character?
There's just one performer for each character. There are multiple characters within each role, ie cop, director, public works, etc.

habuma

Original Poster

Yeah, as Tinkrbell said, it's one actor/actress per character. So if you see Mimi today and you see Mimi again tomorrow, she'll be the same Mimi.

That said, *some* characters have been passed on to new actors/actresses over the past few years. Specifically, Mimi Kaboom has had three different actresses. Mimi actress #1 changed characters to be Betty Shambles. That opened up a spot for a new actress to play Mimi (e.g., Mimi #2). Since then, both Mimi #2 and Betty #1 have moved on and there are new actresses playing both of those (e.g., Mimi #3 and Betty #2).

Other characters have left Hollywood, but have been replaced by their doppleganger. An early example was when Paige Turner first appeared in Hollywood, she was wearing the same clothes as a former citizen (I can't remember the name right now). Even right now, there's a citizen named Ace Victory who is dressed exactly the same as former citizen Holden Hollywood.

I say all that just in case you're looking at older photos or videos on YouTube and wondering why Mimi looks different now than she did a couple of years ago or why older pictures of Ace Victory refer to him as Holden Hollywood. In the case of Mimi, it's the same citizen, different actresses (although Mimi #1 and Mimi #3 look very similar). For Ace/Holden, different citizen and different actors, but same clothing.

mergatroid

Yeah, as Tinkrbell said, it's one actor/actress per character. So if you see Mimi today and you see Mimi again tomorrow, she'll be the same Mimi.

That said, *some* characters have been passed on to new actors/actresses over the past few years. Specifically, Mimi Kaboom has had three different actresses. Mimi actress #1 changed characters to be Betty Shambles. That opened up a spot for a new actress to play Mimi (e.g., Mimi #2). Since then, both Mimi #2 and Betty #1 have moved on and there are new actresses playing both of those (e.g., Mimi #3 and Betty #2).

Other characters have left Hollywood, but have been replaced by their doppleganger. An early example was when Paige Turner first appeared in Hollywood, she was wearing the same clothes as a former citizen (I can't remember the name right now). Even right now, there's a citizen named Ace Victory who is dressed exactly the same as former citizen Holden Hollywood.

I say all that just in case you're looking at older photos or videos on YouTube and wondering why Mimi looks different now than she did a couple of years ago or why older pictures of Ace Victory refer to him as Holden Hollywood. In the case of Mimi, it's the same citizen, different actresses (although Mimi #1 and Mimi #3 look very similar). For Ace/Holden, different citizen and different actors, but same clothing.

There's just one performer for each character. There are multiple characters within each role, ie cop, director, public works, etc.

Thanks guys, interesting stuff. I love the COH and don't think I've ever been disappointed by one of their shows.

mergatroid

A little bit of detective work (rather than 'crazed stalker' behaviour) on my behalf has enabled me to find the current actress who plays 'Betty Shambles' aka Michele Feren, anyone confirm that this is indeed the very talented lady?

Maybe others could post clips of any of the other CoH's work?

Last edited:

habuma

Original Poster
A little bit of detective work (rather than 'crazed stalker' behaviour) on my behalf has enabled me to find the current actress who plays 'Betty Shambles' aka Michele Feren, anyone confirm that this is indeed the very talented lady?

Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Michele Feren is Mimi #1 and Betty Shambles #1. In fact, from the video you posted, her voice is very clearly the same Mimi #1. I do not believe she's currently portraying any citizens.

If you Google for "Betty Shambles", you'll find several photos of both. The one that looks reasonably normal and has a rounder face is Michele Feren. The one with a longer face and larger eyes that generally looks very high-strung is the current Betty Shambles (I do not know the name of the actress).

Last edited:

habuma

Original Poster
Since it was recently brought up, I thought I'd toss in something relatively new. The Twitter user known as "On the Go in MCO" posted this today: https://twitter.com/onthegoinmco/status/542773776707227648

In the picture we see Evie Starlight, Paige Turner, someone new, Bo Wrangler, and Jack Diamond.

First: Does anybody know who the new guy is? I've never seen him, nor have I heard anything about a new citizen.

Second: It may just be the photo, but this Bo Wrangler looks different than the Bo Wrangler I've seen before. Is it a different actor in Bo's boots or is the photo just misleading?

habuma

Original Poster
Thread bump to bring you an updated CoH report from our trip last week.

We were in DHS two days (the 7th and the 9th) and during that time we caught several CoH/HPW appearances, including:
  • Cavalcade of Stars (at 10:30am on the 7th, at the usual spot near the hat...even though there were construction walls around it). This set included Ben Appetite, Stone Granite, Bo Wrangler, Evie Starlight, Paige Turner, Dorma Nesmond, Officer WIlliam Club, Daley Reels (dressed as a director instead of in a lab coat, oddly enough...it was hard to say if he has a new "friend" or not), and Oscar Meyer Weiner.
  • We caught the tail-end of a HPW appearance on Sunset Blvd on the 7th. The guys did little more than talk to the crowd and spent a great deal of time poking fun at the fact that I was video-recording them. The boss even took my camera and video'd us for awhile.
  • We saw Jack Diamond setting up to do some card and coin tricks on the 9th, but at the same time we also saw Officer Peabody giving Bo Wrangler a driving test.
  • We caught the end of another HPW show again on the 9th, but this time the boss looked a lot like Sparky...Very unusual.
  • We saw Officer Peabody and Dorma Nesmond driving around Sunset Blvd on the 9th talking to people. Dorma even took an opportunity to ham it up for my video camera.
  • Once again on the 9th, we saw the HPW guys (with boss Sparky) doing the bucket game bit. My girls were lucky enough (for the second time) to be part of the show.
  • We saw Betty Shambles and Mayor Sonny Burbank (Shelby Mayer's clothes with Ace Victory's "friend") doing the "We sing what we see" bit. They had a HUGE crowd around them, so it was kinda hard to make out what it was that they were singing about.
  • Finally, we saw the funniest citizen show on the 9th, including Jack Diamond, Officer Peabody, Betty Shambles, Paige Turner, Bo Wrangler, Officer Friskum, and Mayor Sonny Burbank as the host.
I got *most* of this on video and intend to post it once I have time to go through it all. I'll post links here if anyone wants them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom