The Spirited Back Nine ...

BrianLo

Because there's one thing the Tokyo parks were in need of it was more investment and quality attractions.

In the microcosm of 2010-2016, Tokyo overall is actually dead last worldwide. Not that WDW is that far ahead, but it's time for them to start investing again. It's also high time WDW starts investing too... and both seem to now be doing that, so I can't fault them. The big difference is Tokyo came off a really wonderful decade to take a break, and WDW came off an abysmal one.

I read the article as saying Frozen may end up in DisneySea, instead of replacing IASW.

Ya, I have a feeling it may be a poor translation. Although this line: "When Tokyo Disneyland's Fantasyland is renovated, the "It's A Small World" attraction is slated to be moved" is fairly direct.

I have a feeling the article is taking some liberties with guessing the budget, I wouldn't be surprised if Frozen is in the 400-500 million+ range based on what we know of their plans.

I also don't think the 4 billion number they are tossing around includes general park expenditure. 20 new attractions seem unlikely, but 2-3 big projects (Frozen being the first) by 2023, absolutely.

lazyboy97o

I don't see a retheme for RnR coming any time soon (even if the preshow will turn seriously morbid once one of them dies in real life), even if its to make it a Guardians Rocket-Roller coaster. No...I think Marvel will be added in far better ways..especially after the phase 3 movies are all out and more and more characters are at their disposal to be used in FL parks.
I know I am heading into the abyss with this, but this does head right into the big question of "What is a family?" Disney's development timeline on attractions is roughly five years. Starting with the release of Guardians of the Galaxy, when Disney would have realized they did have a hit, means an attraction would open in roughly late Summer 2019. This hypothetical attraction would therefore be opening right after Avengers: Infinity War Part I and Avengers: Infinity War Part II, films that as of right now are expected to feature the Guardians of the Galaxy and possibly more of the Phase III characters. If these characters become Avengers in the Marvel Cinematic Universe do they then become part of the Avengers family? Is that a multimillion dollar risk worth taking?

lazyboy97o

In the microcosm of 2010-2016, Tokyo overall is actually dead last worldwide. Not that WDW is that far ahead, but it's time for them to start investing again. It's also high time WDW starts investing too... and both seem to now be doing that, so I can't fault them. The big difference is Tokyo came off a really wonderful decade to take a break, and WDW came off an abysmal one.
I am more forgiving of the lack of building at Tokyo Disney Resort due to Disney's clearly hypocritical position in that relationship.

TalkingHead

Final note from me: I miss the days when things like "The kiss goodnight" weren't well known. This past week, thanks to internet popularity, it has been pretty well attended (as much as 50 the other night). Seems less magical to me in a way when so many are there pretending to know some sort of obscure "secret".

Just like Hidden Mickeys. Used to be fun, obscure things to look for in the 1990s. Now you've got the books, the "Hidden Mickeys" guy (what a heavy crown to wear), etc. They've lost their charm, and now they're just another thing for some fanbois to obsess over.

BrerJon

I have a feeling the article is taking some liberties with guessing the budget, I wouldn't be surprised if Frozen is in the 400-500 million+ range based on what we know of their plans.

I just took another look at the map and the footprint of IASW in Tokyo is huge, so plenty of space for a Diagon Alley-equivalent Arrendelle with an amazing dark ride. With every other resort in the world having a IASW, it wouldn't be the end of the world for it to close in Tokyo, if the replacement was something special.

Tom Morrow

Just like Hidden Mickeys. Used to be fun, obscure things to look for in the 1990s. Now you've got the books, the "Hidden Mickeys" guy (what a heavy crown to wear), etc. They've lost their charm, and now they're just another thing for some fanbois to obsess over.
I hate the popularity of hidden Mickeys because now people care more about them than the actual details put into the attraction. "This is an actual prop used in the making of the Twilight Zo-" "WHO CARES WHERE ARE THE HIDDEN MICKEYS???"

TinkerBelle8878

@WDW1974 If the GMR stays, and obviously gets the much needed revamp or update..something, what are the chances they'll go with the Muppet version? I know pretty slim but it would at least save 2 existing 'legacy' attractions at one shot. Have the ride and then play the 4-D movie at the end.

I'd just hate to see these two be demolished. GMR, for one, is such a beautiful building and really goes back to the way things should be done at WDW as far as theme and immersion. The ride needs a new upddate and spruce but taking that out just seems like such a waste. And Muppets, well, this was always a must see because well its the Muppets. No other explaination necessary. :) I have the feeling if they're removed from the park, they're not going to placed into another. They'll just be gone.

Pigs in Space crossover with Guardians? Given the years, Peter Quill would know who they were :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
I also don't think the 4 billion number they are tossing around includes general park expenditure. 20 new attractions seem unlikely, but 2-3 big projects (Frozen being the first) by 2023, absolutely.

The piece is unsourced... It reads to me like the same info OLC put out in their financials but reworked.. and the investment OLC outlined before wasn't just the existing theme park. The article starts off authorative, but ends open ended speculation. I'm questioning the validity of the details.

Ranch Dressing

Didn't I break most of this "news" months ago? I guess I just guessed correct on budgets. Because of such disrespect and apparent plagerizm, I won't bring up the massive expansion planned for MK. Nope. Wont bring it up.

Dont ask dont tell.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Some Spirited Musings:

Saw that a few sources are reporting the $350 million plus Frozen attraction for TDS that I told y'all about months ago is apparently happening. What a shock ... really.

Someone needs to explain basic English to certain former members of this forum. I NEVER said that Kong's budget was being axed. As far as I know, it isn't. I did say that the water park has had major coin removed and that is true.

I've been told that certain forum members with one-word names who never post in my threads don't see anything anything newsy in my OP and a few that followed. I guess reading comprehension is beyond them as well. Sure, others did mention Star Wars and Cars and TS product coming (I believe Tom Amity actually first put that idea out there) at some nebulous points. I didn't know that anyone else had actual numbers and a timeline. But please 'Bob' feel free to point out where I cribbed that from.

Sorry to all the Marvel fanbois, but I really don't care about Phase III of the Marvel Cinematic UNIverse crowding out the ability of Disney to make ANY non-franchise films well into the next decade. Before anyone points out WDFA or Pixar, I'll just say that every film coming out is one that is either a sequel or one they're hoping will lead to them.

I am starting a new game soon: Where in the world is @WDWFigment today?

This week's reading from the O-Town Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...-bevil-disney-99-dollars-20141023-column.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...isney-springs-restaurants-20141027-story.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...h-the-show-changes-coming-20141027-story.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-tourism-10272014-20141024-story.html

WDW1974

Original Poster
I flat out don't get why anyone would go anywhere near TSFKaDD right now. I went twice once last Wednesday and again on Sunday for lunch. First time wasn't so bad because ... well, I know the area and I know to not park across the street when plenty of parking exists where it always has. Same thing on Sunday, but the backups and crazy drivers on Buena Vista Drive ... UGH!!! ... Someone at Celebration Place please use a Walt quote to describe the mess of a construction zone that your mall is and I'll have my fanboi minions take a baseball bat (congrats to the Giants!!!) to your knees.

BTW, in case you didn't know or couldn't guess, but construction has fallen behind schedule. They can't even get a 'Food Truck Park' open.

MerlinTheGoat

Didn't I break most of this "news" months ago? I guess I just guessed correct on budgets. Because of such disrespect and apparent plagerizm.
No you didn't. We've known Star Wars was in the works for DHS for over a year now, it was already pretty much known before it was even teased at D23 over a year ago. Cars was rumored even longer ago than Star Wars, and Toy Story was always fairly likely to get a bigger presence at the park (especially now that Playland will have been included in 3 Disney parks by the time Shanghai opens). And the budgets were already rumored as being around DCA 2.0 levels as well. This topic just serves as confirmation that things have been greenlit along with the start date and timeline.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It isn't close to perfect?! It's much closer to perfect than not. Admittedly, the restrooms could be better...

I realize that comment could have been clearer. I love DA. It most definitely is close to perfect.

Gringotts is just a nice attraction that, quite frankly could have and should have, been better but is still better than anything WDW has built this century.

I'm just tired of every UNI attraction being so damn similar right now. The Lorax wouldn't have been and ... oh yeah, they killed that one.

A friend, and former poster here who is on his way back from Asia right now (and I hope he pops in here ... hey @Kuhio, I'm talking 'bout you!) was at UNI about five or six weeks ago and loved DA but had similar feelings about Gringotts. He termed the effect to be 'Universal Fatigue' and I brought this up while with my UNI-Creative friend 'Gywn' ...the feeling is one of sameness because UNI is so infatuated with screens on its attractions. I hope he makes a return here because I absolutely agree with it.

Yes, UNI is doing some amazing work, some of the best anywhere. But while DA as a whole showcases that, Gringotts, to me, is just more of the same. It reminds me of criticism of EPCOT Center in its heyday of long, immersive Omnimover/AA-filled rides. ... At some point I think it does come down to taste and what you enjoy in a park.

FWIW, both Kuhio and 'Gywn' (you know, the one who helped build DA and Gringotts) think the greatest attraction built in the last few years anywhere is HKDL's Mystic Manor. I think @WDWFigment may well share that view as well.

cheezbat

I don't see why if WDW is so cheap we can't just get clones of awesome attractions from other resorts here. They wanna save money? Clone more attractions.

On top of the DHS redo, why not give us a clone of Crush's Coaster?
How about Ratatoille for Epcot(since characters are taking over WS now obviously)?
Indiana Jones Adventure for MK?
And Journey to the Center of the Earth or Mystic Manor for DAK?

I'm not super impressed with what I'm hearing for DHS aside from the BAH removal. Give us something more than Toy Story Playland and Star Wars land please.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That IS the joke though. Also it is only the second year they've done it, and no it isn't the same actor.

The joke was so well received the previous year that doing it word for word makes it funnier since jokes are nearly never reused.

Bill and Ted is partially written for fans, like it or not.

Usually, the show skews more general pop culture. But I saw the show three times last fall and can't recall a damn thing about it, which says it wasn't very good.

This year, I'd venture to say that 2/3rds of the content was poking fun at Disney ... from the main thru-line in the show -- MAGICal Tracking Bands -- to everything from Frozen to Avatar to GotG to Captain America to the Bachelor ... it was definitely a show for fanbois more than the general public this year.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's the reason I've never gone to a HHN. A friend who did told me it was worse than Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Having been to one of those....yeah...no thank yew.

It wasn't always that way. But while UNI now seems to attract a higher caliber guest than Disney in general during the day and at its resorts, well, HHNs is a different story. It's often a trashfest due to the Frequent Fear Pass (had one last year for the first time, won't be repeating) where so many locals who drink and use drugs and are young and dumb are prevalent.

I've only once felt unsafe. That was last year when there was a group of wannabe gangstas who kept pushing my group, playing the touching game (not funny in middle school, much less funny when it's a 29-year-old stranger) ... I finally was about to leave and go find a cop when all of a sudden I heard a scream and turned to see that four of the guys in this group of 12 were beating the crap out of each other.

It took almost four minutes for police, followed by UNI security, to get there, which is insane.

Bill Davis and his OPs team is well aware they have a problem, a major one. But they just look at the bottom line and this event prints money.

But I'm done with it. I'd rather head to SoCal and do the events there (usually in much better weather too!)

FWIW, we arrived at 6:45 for a Thursday night 2a.m. close and did six of eight houses (only missed Dracula and From Dusk Til Dawn), saw Bill and Ted's and had dinner at Finnegan's. That's less than I have ever done considering we left the park at 2:40 a.m. And we wouldn't have gotten to see The Walking Dead (MUCH better than last year's) if not for the kindness of Dusty and Fishbulb of Micechat who gave @Lee and I two of their Express Passes that hadn't been scanned for that house for some reason. At that point, the wait was something like 140 minutes and I wouldn't wait that long for anything in a theme park anywhere.

OPs are a nightmare because they refuse to put caps on attendance and/or Express Pass sales. I don't think we waited longer than 45-50 minutes for anything (@Lee might recall better), but I am a Spirit who flat out doesn't believe in waiting more than 15-20 minutes for anything, so some lines felt like an eternity. And again, UNI does nothing to dress up the fact you are backstage in parking lots and dark areas etc ... nothing ... well, except for selling alcohol.

Once in the houses, they try their damndest to rush you in and out, so scares are few as is the opportunity to see some of the amazing design work that is put into the event.

It's all about $$$, much like Food and Wine Fest ...and what were once great events that I looked forward to annually going back to the 90s are now events that I largely want no part of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom