Apple Mac OS X talk

lazyboy97o

Thanks. Ever since I installed Maverick..my fan is running too hot....startup is slower. So we'll see if this was the problem.
My fan had been a bit loud recently but I did a clean install which has made everything so much better. I know that is not an easy option for many, but after six years a lot of junk built up.

FutureCEO

My fan had been a bit loud recently but I did a clean install which has made everything so much better. I know that is not an easy option for many, but after six years a lot of junk built up.

I don't think I can do that...lol

Though I do have an external hard drive partitioned already. Not really relevant but I like to put music on the CD's and I hate how the new macs don't come with a CD drive anymore.

artvandelay

After using PC's for 20 years I finally switched to Mac last week. Bought a 21.5" iMac. Still trying to figure some stuff out but liking it so far. I do have some questions:

1) how is Pages and Numbers compared to Word and Excel? I've used Numbers on my ipad and was ok. Hoping to save the $100 to buy Office.

2) does anyone use family sharing? Looks good, but wasn't sure.

3) is there any way to make Pages work like iOS when typing? Specifically, auto capitalization for first word and auto period with double tap of the space bar?

Thanks in advance for any answers the group has.

Voxel

President of Progress City
After using PC's for 20 years I finally switched to Mac last week. Bought a 21.5" iMac. Still trying to figure some stuff out but liking it so far. I do have some questions:

1) how is Pages and Numbers compared to Word and Excel? I've used Numbers on my ipad and was ok. Hoping to save the $100 to buy Office.

3) is there any way to make Pages work like iOS when typing? Specifically, auto capitalization for first word and auto period with double tap of the space bar?

Thanks in advance for any answers the group has.
1) It depends on how religiously you use Word. Pages can do everything that word can do but formatting can be lost when opening a word document and saving as a word document. That being said me and my GF use Pages for all of your college papers. I also like the ease of use for pages for many features.
Excel vs numbers our a different beast. Numbers is great for basics but if you are looking to have excel files interact with other excel files and using great macro then Excel is your best bet. Most Apple "experts" will tell you that.

2) Don't know

3) Just opened up the updated Pages. Checking now. I will give you an update in a few minutes.

lazyboy97o

Word still has a lot more features, but those are features I think anybody who uses them would notice are missing. The formatting issues mentioned by @Voxel are true for Pages and LibreOffice, another free office suite. Personally, I have long taken to distributing almost all final documents as PDFs.

I use it and it works pretty much as advertised. Under purchases in iTunes and the App Store there is a little toggle that lets you see your purchases or those of other family members. Content creators (app developers) have to allow sharing, so it will not necessarily be available on everything.

This used to be possible utilizing the built in text expansion, but the current version no longer allows spaces in the terms to be expanded. Oddly, this is probably blocked because the text expansion in OS X syncs with those set on your iOS devices.

Last edited:

Voxel

This used to be possible utilizing the built in text expansion, but the current version no longer allows spaces in the terms to be expanded. Oddly, this is probably blocked because the text expansion in OS X syncs with those set on your iOS devices.
I just remembered this. They removed this functionality when they were focusing on unifying the platform and save format of pages. In iOS this is an OS feature not a pages feature.

artvandelay

Thanks for the answers everyone. I bought my wife the one to one service because she was not dealing with the change very well.

Voxel

Text expansion is an OS X feature, not a Pages features.
Correct, but automatic Capitalization was an aspect of Pages that Disappeared in Pages 5, it could be enabled under keyboard settings to Capitalize the first letter in a sentence, but this option has since disappeared from services in 10.10, Features such as page numbers, mail merging, etc disappeared from Pages 5 also. This is all attributed to a full rewrite of Pages from the ground up.

Voxel

All I am gonna say, the 10.10.2 Beta is making me want to slam my head against the wall. About to migrate back but I am on travel and don't have my time machine with me.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Has anyone experienced artifact/random dancing Pixels on a 2011 iMac.

Hard to say for sure but that could be either a bad display or bad graphics card. I had a 2011 27" iMac and over the 2-1/2 years I had it the display panel had to be replaced twice but in both cases, it was a backlight issue. If you are seeing corrupted images on the screen it is more likely it's the graphics card.

donsullivan

Premium Member
All I am gonna say, the 10.10.2 Beta is making me want to slam my head against the wall. About to migrate back but I am on travel and don't have my time machine with me.

Interesting, I'm running that on my 2013 13" Retina MBP and not seeing any issues at all. What's happening that is triggering the frustration?

Voxel

Interesting, I'm running that on my 2013 13" Retina MBP and not seeing any issues at all. What's happening that is triggering the frustration?
It's killed Google chrome (big issue amongs thee community). But the big thing is that it has killed sleep in my MacBook. Their is a temp fix but it's annoying having to force a shut down

donsullivan

Premium Member
It's killed Google chrome (big issue amongs thee community). But the big thing is that it has killed sleep in my MacBook. Their is a temp fix but it's annoying having to force a shut down

Ahh. I was never a fan of Chrome on the Mac, way too much of a resource hog. I actually really like the simplicity of Safari and it keeps getting faster with each generation. Hadn't seen any sleep issues at all on my MBP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom