EPCOT Entertainment cuts

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Huh?

Losing: Off Kilter, Mo'Rockin, Spirit of America, World Showcase Players. That's 4. Possible 5 if British Revolution goes away, but this is not confirmed.

Gaining: Lumberjack show, Berber music, Celtic band, Flag show in Italy. That's 4.

As of right now, seems like an even swap.
You forget the Ziti Sisters earlier this year....

NMBC1993

I think it's interesting to read a lot of responses in regards to Disney finally "freshening things up". My question to those people is would you feel the same way if they closed and replaced something like Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean? Haunted Mansion is a 45 year old attraction after all, it's getting a bit stale;)

I'm not bashing anyone out there who feels this way, I'm just trying to make a point that some people consider certain things at Disney a "classic" or a "crown jewel" if you will and are going to be heart-broken when it or they are gone.

Mine was Miss Miyuki....she was like a 2nd mother to me:(

PhotoDave219

Huh?

Losing: Off Kilter, Mo'Rockin, Spirit of America, World Showcase Players. That's 4. Possible 5 if British Revolution goes away, but this is not confirmed.

Gaining: Lumberjack show, Berber music, Celtic band, Flag show in Italy. That's 4.

As of right now, seems like an even swap. The official blog also said "and more" when referring to potential offerings.

I'm not judging the quality of the replacements since we don't know yet.

Even? One does not swap a canadian rock band for lumberjacks. One does not swap a north african rock band for a dance troupe. Once certainly does not swap a british cover band for Celtic music.

Not to go off on extended hyperbole, but this is like trading in a classic 67 Mustang (think Bullit) for a Kia Soul (think Hamsters)

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
I'm sorry but its a theme park, not an AA meeting. If I want a beer, I'll have one.

The reports of the over-indulgence are blown out of proportion.

And in Disney's parlance? Revenue is revenue. As long as they get their money, they don't care.

Also, with the stock over $90/share, why are we making cuts?
Agreed. If Disney wanted to stop the overindulgence, trust me they would have. This brings in people and revenue. I cannot count the number of times I see people grabbing a beer or a drink and heading over to see Off Kilter, British Revolution or any one of the other acts. It is part of what a lot of people like about EPCOT, that there is a more grown up aspect to it as well as catering to the kids. Marie

CdnDznyLuvr

I am all for change to keep the parks fresh, however as a Canadian I am shaking my head at replacing Off Kilter with a lumberjack show. Forestry is only a small portion of the Canadian workforce. The job of the "lumberjack" has changed so much over the years - they no longer cut trees by hand but rather use huge machines to do their work. There is so much more to Canada ...

SoccerMickey

I find it quite interesting that Mr. Shawn Slater of the Disney Parks Blog posted this at 11am and not ONE comment? His delete button must be working overtime right now!
Honestly though what is his position with the company? I know he writes a lot about entertainment and associates himself with a lot of it but the offerings he touts really don't seem to last long or be all that beneficial to the guest experience: example, when people were clamoring for a Phineas and Ferb meet and greet he kept saying that it needed to be more than a meet and greet and they had that foolish thing with the director and DJ, those did not last long at all and it turned out to be just a M&G, also he was all over the villains unleashed event and we all saw how that turned out (as of now there are only 3 glowing reviews on the parks blog regarding that), and with all the cuts and changes going on right now I'm sure there's more that's escaping me. Is he someone with a lot of influence with Disney entertainment and if he is, are we sure he's the right person for the job?

doctornick

Even? One does not swap a canadian rock band for lumberjacks. One does not swap a north african rock band for a dance troupe. Once certainly does not swap a british cover band for Celtic music.

Not to go off on extended hyperbole, but this is like trading in a classic 67 Mustang (think Bullit) for a Kia Soul (think Hamsters)

Different people like different things. At least superficially, this sounds like replacing commonplace entertainment (rock bands of which similar stuff can be seen almost anywhere) with more unique offerings that are in line with Epcot's theme.

Again, I have no idea what the quality of the new performers will be like, but I don't think they are worse just because they are different. I absolutely understand people being upset if something that they personally enjoy is going away.

doctornick

I am all for change to keep the parks fresh, however as a Canadian I am shaking my head at replacing Off Kilter with a lumberjack show. Forestry is only a small portion of the Canadian workforce. The job of the "lumberjack" has changed so much over the years - they no longer cut trees by hand but rather use huge machines to do their work. There is so much more to Canada ...

Not for nothing, but did Off Kilter really represent Canada well? Kilts and bagpipes don't exactly scream Canada to me and I'm under the impression that most/all of the band members weren't Canadian.

John

OK, sense I was quick to jump on this with a negative view.....I will jump in here after the latest news about replacements and say.......I still hate it! I still think this changes the dynamics of the experience. I agree people complain that the parks are stale, but people also like familiarity. Its a fine line sure. TDO has to try and please everyone when they know they will probably please very few.

If EPCOT was kept to the standard that was once kept I doubt much would be said about this. The problem is we are all very sensitive to what is going on with the place. We are all uber fans....or we wouldn't spend so much time on the Magic. Some of us have open wounds over what the place has become. Even the most ardent fan cant not dispute that overall EPCOT has changed. That its personality has changed. Then when something like this happens and one of your favorite attractions/groups gets the lumber axe ( pun intended) we over react.

Flag wavers? Before this was mentioned is there one person here that would associate a flag waver with Italy? Heck it might be a great show, but who will watch and say...yea that's Italian? Lumber Jack show? Seems like a once and done to me. How many times do I want to see a guy cutting a log? OK....we will wait and see. I get that. But the music acts brought an ambiance to the park. You could hear it....sing along. I promise I will not be throwing any axes around my back yard. If there are any chain saws involved I cant see how this show would be all that kid friendly. I think the stroller brigade will avoid it at all cost. The Fife and drum? It screams America! The crowds were huge. I seen people running to catch this act. Cost? Let them do a limited amount of shows and have the cast doing something else between shows.....empty trash cans or whatever to justify the cost. Just seems stupid to me. This act gave the American pavilion a real sense of patriotism...oh maybe that's the problem....not PC enough.

Now as much as I consider myself as a card carrying D&Ger to me this "new" entertainment offerings is nothing more then the bait and switch. I am still disappointed with the way they are handling the entertainment at WDW. Nothing will change that. All the defenders can laugh al they want. But if they think WDW is any where near the greatness it once was....they are delusional. Now I am going back to practicing my knee jerk......Thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom