The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PhotoDave219

Agreed, for now. But have you seen the proposals for the Kirkman/I4 interchange redesign?

No but for crying out loud, I-4 is pretty horrible south of downtown anymore.
If you have a link, I'd love to read it.

I remember last March when it was essentially gridlock from Championsgate to downtown on the Saturday of Megacon, NCAA opening round tourney & spring break all at once. Brutal.

seascape

Right now UOR has about the same carrying capacity of Epcot, DHS, and DAK combined.
I did not want to post here again but this is crazy. How can anyone say the two parks and city walk have the capacity of over 36 million a year which is double what the magic kingdom draws. That is insane. And I was nice enough to incluse city walk. There is now way possible for you post to be even close to being accurate.

the.dreamfinder

No but for crying out loud, I-4 is pretty horrible south of downtown anymore.
If you have a link, I'd love to read it.
I-4_Rendering_Kirkman_Labeled.jpg

http://www.moving-4-ward.com/wp-con...484-3-Value-Eng-Study-Final-Report-7-6-11.pdf

Disneyhead'71

I did not want to post here again but this is crazy. How can anyone say the two parks and city walk have the capacity of over 36 million a year which is double what the magic kingdom draws. That is insane. And I was nice enough to incluse city walk. There is now way possible for you post to be even close to being accurate.
We are talking Attraction fire power here, not restaurants, park benches, and open space.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Friday Night Quickees:

First, I am no tease, except with fanbois, so I've played enough: the current WDI plan for Star Wars at DLR involves a complete removal of ... Toontown. Don't know what this means for future DL pyro shows, but that is a huge chunk of land that is considered very 'underutilized'.

Second, it goes without saying that I am not changing my personality, posting style or blunt opinions. If people here can't handle them, then by all means don't post in Spirited threads. But if you insist on posting here, then you know what you're getting.

Some DLP news has come out in the last few days, most notably what I have told you about NGE tech being used over there (think tickets and such, I would not expect MM+). But they also announced that the Hotel NY will be closed for up to two years for its only top to bottom rehab as soon as Newport Bay is finished. While some will (likely rightly) post to the load levels there, I believe if you are going to turn a resort into a construction zone that you close it (as, for instance, Loews did in NYC recently).

You don't pull a WDW and keep the Poly open when it should be shuttered, all the while charging guests full price.

More DVC? ... Why not?

Is there anyone here who wants to defend Bob Iger's leadership? Feel free, but you are wrong and I likely won't have time for the inevitable 23-pages of back and forth.

Nice to see @skubersky dropping in here. He's just one of so many folks in media, at all levels, that read Spirited threads. And I welcome and invite any/all of them to drop in and have nice cherry limeade and talk about exciting O-Town development's such as the All Star Music's Intermission Food Court (where I stole soda proudly for years!) redo ... or ... or ... ahm ... um .... is there anything else going on at WDW?

A friend and fellow MAGICal member wrote to tell me of recent positive experiences at Carowinds. Yes, it really does come down to corporate culture and leadership and much like Comcast, Cedar Fair finally has it right. Disney has the same people it has for decades ... fanbois who have crushes on Tom Staggs need to realize that he has Strategic Planning coursing thru his mitocolorians (have no idea if that is spelled correctly, nor do I care!)

Disney's Planes: Fire and Rescue is doing exactly what they hoped, both at the box office and the retailers.

BTW, get your Aulani Duffys at any/all Disney outlets for just $9.99 (or I know someone who will pick them up in Hawaii for $35).

Why does my postal carrier insist on FOLDING my Hollywood Reporter in HALF when it fits just fine without damaging the thing at all?

Still waiting for the first Lifestyler trip report from the Four Seasons!

Speaking of which, yes, Mrs. Ricky's MealTicket is currently at DLR and somehow made it into Club 33 (he loves the changes, so I doubt he went with Andy Castro!) Yes, I know. Every Lifestyler has 'friends' ... to which I would say ''Have you met these people?!?!''

That's all for now. Great weekends to all.

CinematicFusion

First, I am no tease, except with fanbois, so I've played enough: the current WDI plan for Star Wars at DLR involves a complete removal of ... Toontown. Don't know what this means for future DL pyro shows, but that is a huge chunk of land that is considered very 'underutilized'.

So, how big is Toontown? I've never been, going to DisneyLand in February. That would give us a size of Star Wars land and then we hear WDW is getting the best version. Very exciting!

Mike S

Second, it goes without saying that I am not changing my personality, posting style or blunt opinions. If people here can't handle them, then by all means don't post in Spirited threads. But if you insist on posting here, then you know what you're getting.

Some DLP news has come out in the last few days, most notably what I have told you about NGE tech being used over there (think tickets and such, I would not expect MM+). But they also announced that the Hotel NY will be closed for up to two years for its only top to bottom rehab as soon as Newport Bay is finished. While some will (likely rightly) post to the load levels there, I believe if you are going to turn a resort into a construction zone that you close it (as, for instance, Loews did in NYC recently).

You don't pull a WDW and keep the Poly open when it should be shuttered, all the while charging guests full price.

More DVC? ... Why not?

Is there anyone here who wants to defend Bob Iger's leadership? Feel free, but you are wrong and I likely won't have time for the inevitable 23-pages of back and forth.

Nice to see @skubersky dropping in here. He's just one of so many folks in media, at all levels, that read Spirited threads. And I welcome and invite any/all of them to drop in and have nice cherry limeade and talk about exciting O-Town development's such as the All Star Music's Intermission Food Court (where I stole soda proudly for years!) redo ... or ... or ... ahm ... um .... is there anything else going on at WDW?

A friend and fellow MAGICal member wrote to tell me of recent positive experiences at Carowinds. Yes, it really does come down to corporate culture and leadership and much like Comcast, Cedar Fair finally has it right. Disney has the same people it has for decades ... fanbois who have crushes on Tom Staggs need to realize that he has Strategic Planning coursing thru his mitocolorians (have no idea if that is spelled correctly, nor do I care!)

Disney's Planes: Fire and Rescue is doing exactly what they hoped, both at the box office and the retailers.

BTW, get your Aulani Duffys at any/all Disney outlets for just $9.99 (or I know someone who will pick them up in Hawaii for $35).

Why does my postal carrier insist on FOLDING my Hollywood Reporter in HALF when it fits just fine without damaging the thing at all?

Still waiting for the first Lifestyler trip report from the Four Seasons!

Speaking of which, yes, Mrs. Ricky's MealTicket is currently at DLR and somehow made it into Club 33 (he loves the changes, so I doubt he went with Andy Castro!) Yes, I know. Every Lifestyler has 'friends' ... to which I would say ''Have you met these people?!?!''

So when Magic Kingdom gets rid of Toontown, we get a Circus. When Disneyland does it, they get Star Wars. Can you see the difference here? I know we have more room in DHS for Star Wars but the point is we could have gotten so much more out of the replacement of our Toontown area. Just nuts. It's shocking both resorts are run by the same company.

SirLink

Sorry I haven't kept up with this Star Wars stuff, real world problems y'all - I assume it will be a land of roughly 10-12 acres that goes into DL, DHS and Shanghai ?

Or is it substantially less because well mediocrity is king?

CinematicFusion

So when Magic Kingdom gets rid of Toontown, we get a Circus. When Disneyland does it, they get Star Wars. Can you see the difference here? I know we have more room in DHS for Star Wars but the point is we could have gotten so much more out of the replacement of our Toontown area. Just nuts. It's shocking both resorts are run by the same company.

They don't have that much land.
Florida got/is getting a cirucs, a new fantasyland, Avatar world of Pandora and a new Star Wars land.

California got/is getting Star Wars Land and Cars Land.

PeterAlt

Spirited Friday Afternoon Musings:

So, UNI is touting the HE ridership while WDW is telling people they can't even stand in line for attractions or to purchase crappy QS food. Yes, I do get why the UNI fanbois are crowing.

A quiet Friday in the dog days of summer (or as we Floridians call it -- Back to School and Football Pre-Season) and some folks want to have another Iger vs. Eisner discussion. Everyone knows my feelings on this, but since MDE has been sorta in my orbit this week, I feel like spreading some facts.

If you are a fan of the WDW of today ... of anything from DVC to DAK Lodge ... from BB to Stitch ... from DCL to ESPN ... from EE (with or without Disco Yeti) to Napa Rose ... from Soarin over California to the California Grill (either of them) ... from DLP to TDS ... from Port Orleans to Fantasmic in NoS ... well, you are a fan of Michael Eisner's or you should be.

Hell, he actually planned for monorail expansion multiple times!

The facts speak for themselves. Michael (and Frank and Roy and MANY talented folks under them) made the Disney that you love, the one that you might even have an unhealthy attachment to.

Bob Iger has not cleaned up most of the messes that Michael admittedly left behind. Indeed, he has bought into the worst of Michael's tenure and made it look pretty by becoming a Wall Street centerfold (yeah, that reference is going to be lost on fanbois in the iPhone era!)

It is very easy to purchase the talents and creations of others versus actually making things, creating art yourself. Pixar, I'll almost give a pass on since they have always been an extension of Disney and they didn't have the options some people think they did. But Marvel and Lucasfilm were simply Bob taking billions of dollars and saying ''We can't create, so we'll acquire.''

There's no arguing that some major flaws in P&R also started showing up under Eisner, certainly the destruction of EPCOT began with Test Track's debut (of course, most people here love that). And the decision to not invest in keeping PI and its clubs/venues fresh began under Michael. Shuttering RC and DI ... check.

But anyone looking at the Big Picture would be foolish to think that Iger has been some prince riding to the rescue of a kingdom in trouble.

And I do realize how endless and lame this whole discussion can become.

But the numbers that @ParentsOf4 has graciously (and tirelessly! :) ) come up with show just how poorly Iger has treated P&R. And WDW has seen the absolute worst of his business model. I could see someone in Anaheim or Hong Kong giving him some props, but at WDW? ***Note: To be fair, Iger had NO CHOICE about investing in DCA and HKDL, so don't give him too much credit there and he cut corners as much as possible.

The worst of MDE at WDW came after 9/11, but it was also the best. He allowed the resort to remain open daily and run. ... And as soon as the travel turnaround began, he had new product in the pipeline (of varying quality, but not the point).

When it comes to investing in the parks, Iger would rather buy billions of dollars of stock back.

There is NO faith in Disney's product (this isn't simply P&R, look at how unprepared they were for Frozen's success to tell you what they thought of that little film).

He is beyond a tease with fanbois over putting Star Wars (or anything -- see the 6 1/2 years Pandora is taking!) into the parks. There is no good reason why construction on various projects didn't start long, long ago.

NGE is the ultimate in Iger cynicism: it exists to extract more $$$ from existing guests/fans/chronics/addicts and first-timers because that is easier and less risky (short term) than what Comcast is doing with its parks.

Bob is ... a typical manager in 21st century Big Business ... that may be fine for Wall Street, but for a MAGIC factory like TWDC it is terrible. And most of that damage is long term and the kind that he'll be long gone when it has to be dealt with.

And if he gets his way and Rasulo or Staggs becomes the next head of the company, forget about anything getting much better. You'll look back at years like 1995 or1999 or even 2005 like they were a Golden Age.
Wow, great post! I am now your biggest fan! I've been saying these things for years and - in recent years - have (generally) never gotten the respect I deserve for saying these things. People here respect you and now (that you have said these things) they will final listen!

As for CEO, my bet is on Alan Horn. He's worked magic as the studio head.

Mike S

They don't have that much land.
Florida got/is getting a cirucs, a new fantasyland, Avatar world of Pandora and a new Star Wars land.

California got/is getting Star Wars Land and Cars Land.
They're also getting Monstropolis because of canned plans for DHS that were just sitting around because TDO couldn't spend the money to give us the door coaster. Plus when Disneyland got a New Fantasyland in the 80's it was a reworking of the entire land with updates for all the dark rides and their respective facades plus a new dark ride (Pinocchio). They're also getting more updates for the 60th anniversary. When we got it in 2012-2014 it was a clone of a ride that DCA got in addition to the amazing Cars Land that has since received updates that make it better than our version, a new facade for Pooh with the ride untouched, replacing a classic dark ride with a M&G, a restaurant and a too short kiddie coaster. It does look pretty though.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom