Guillermo del Toro's Haunted Mansion

Thrill

Here's what I got from Googling:
The Internet has gone silent on del Toro's Haunted Mansion since about 9 months ago. Around when Pacific Rim came out, del Toro revealed that Disney wants to move on this project, and he drafted a script. However, they could not secure the top-notch writer they wanted to re-write the script. Additionally, del Toro has way too many projects on his plate at this time to actually direct the movie.

In this case, no news is bad news. It's especially bad considering the 2013 D23 Expo happened about a month after del Toro's interview(s), and made absolutely no mention of the movie. Worse yet, that Expo included an appearance by the Hatbox Ghost who was slated to star in the film.

Dj Corona

I know I might get a lot of "grief", (to use a more PG term!) for saying this, but for what it was, "The Haunted Mansion" wasn't that bad, if you went into it with below average expectations. Terence Stamp as Ramsley the butler was definitely the MVP of the movie, and as a side note the MNSSHP that year when they were hyping it, with the giant Madame Leota crystal ball at the entrance, was kind of neat. However, I too have been wondering whatever happened to this project, and it's funny that with Googling it, this thread was like the third option about it! He's seems like a VERY in demand guy at the moment, so I'm guessing this is way on the back burner of a really big stove, unfortunately.

Sped2424

Guilermo got busier with other projects that are now taking all of his time pacific rim and it's fallout to be exact. So I think the haunted mansion film penned by him has been shelved for now.

lazyboy97o

Guilermo got busier with other projects that are now taking all of his time pacific rim and it's fallout to be exact. So I think the haunted mansion film penned by him has been shelved for now.
Some of his more recent comments about submitting script drafts but not hearing much feedback seem to suggest that Disney has lost interest.

champdisney

Some of his more recent comments about submitting script drafts but not hearing much feedback seem to suggest that Disney has lost interest.
I wouldn't mind if Disney moves along with this project without Del Toro. Hollywood has many talented directors who can pull off a successful Haunted Mansion. I always wondered of the possiblity of Tim Burton taking on to direct, as a movie like HM fits right in his alley.

HatboxGhost

I have been waiting for this since they gave out promo posters at the SD Comic Con back a couple of years ago. I even made my wife a shirt with the poster artwork on it and on the back it stated Coming Soon. Lets get this moving Disney!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

FutureCEO

"The Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy was interesting. Totally do not like him as an actor though, probably the reason why the movie wasn't very good

Matt_Black

Well, I thought Jennifer Tilly did a very good job as Madame Leota, and I give props to any family film that has their villain getting dragged into Hell (AWESOME!). Eddie Murphy was... well, what we've come to expect from him the past 15 years or so.

As for the del Toro HM, it seems that many things he wants to do get stuck in Developmental Heck. The Mountains of Madness, The Hobbit, Hellboy 3, etc.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well, I thought Jennifer Tilly did a very good job as Madame Leota, and I give props to any family film that has their villain getting dragged into Hell (AWESOME!). Eddie Murphy was... well, what we've come to expect from him the past 15 years or so.

As for the del Toro HM, it seems that many things he wants to do get stuck in Developmental Heck. The Mountains of Madness, The Hobbit, Hellboy 3, etc.
The last time I looked I think he had 19 films in development, including The Haunted Mansion.

Thrill

del Toro's Haunted Mansion lives.

He did an AMA, someone asked about it. The paraphrased version of his response is that, two weeks ago, he went to Disneyland with some executives involved in the project. He is on the third or fourth draft of the script, but he's having trouble working out some flaws. Once the script is good, he expects Disney to greenlight the project. He'll produce it, and if he has time, he'll direct as well.

NiarrNDisney

I wouldn't mind if Disney moves along with this project without Del Toro. Hollywood has many talented directors who can pull off a successful Haunted Mansion. I always wondered of the possiblity of Tim Burton taking on to direct, as a movie like HM fits right in his alley.
Personally I would love to see Tim Burton taking this project on in the form of claymation knowing how well NB4Xmas and Corpse Bride went! He has the perfect sense of dark and comedy needed for a project of this caliber

Matt_Black

Personally I would love to see Tim Burton taking this project on in the form of claymation knowing how well NB4Xmas and Corpse Bride went! He has the perfect sense of dark and comedy needed for a project of this caliber

He co-directed, and I'm betting that credit comes from the fact that he came up with the stories. If you want stop motion, then you want Henry Selick, who deserves the credit for the stop motion looking so good in Nightmare, James & the Giant Peach, and Coraline.

AllyInWonderland

del Toro's Haunted Mansion lives.

He did an AMA, someone asked about it. The paraphrased version of his response is that, two weeks ago, he went to Disneyland with some executives involved in the project. He is on the third or fourth draft of the script, but he's having trouble working out some flaws. Once the script is good, he expects Disney to greenlight the project. He'll produce it, and if he has time, he'll direct as well.
I saw the same thing on Facebook today
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom