Alice in Wonderland updates

TP2000

Correct, CM lingo and talk about dark rides is really just referred to the Fantasyland-style attractions. No one (CMs) is ever talking about Mansion, "it's a small world", Pirates, etc. when talking about dark rides.

Thanks. And yet for folks who work in or visit the WDW parks, where only two traditional dark rides exist on the entire property of four theme parks, I can understand how it might be confusing when Disneylanders start talking about "dark rides".

If your only point of reference is WDW, it could be easy to think that anything that has dimly lit sets is a "dark ride", from Alice in Wonderland to Pirates of the Caribbean to Spaceship Earth to Radiator Springs Racers. But with the embarrassment of attraction riches in Anaheim, Disneylanders know differently and use more precise language and nomenclature.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks. And yet for folks who work in or visit the WDW parks, where only two traditional dark rides exist on the entire property of four theme parks, I can understand how it might be confusing when Disneylanders start talking about "dark rides".

Condesending tone aside... as you said.. the concept is not exclusive to Disneyland... so consider that it's not just WDW rubes who consider your narrow definition a misnomer... but people who think beyond Disneyland.

Instead of trying to paint others as ill-informed - accept your usage is a specialized one.

TP2000

Instead of trying to paint others as ill-informed - accept your usage is a specialized one.

Again, it's not really my usage. It's the usage of Anaheim Cast Members, from ride operators to Vice Presidents, in public forums and in private conversations. I won't try and correct 59 years of established nomenclature from the folks who run the place.

That's how the term is used at Disneyland Resort, a parks complex with an amazing roster of eight classic dark rides. Disneyland also has other types of ride-thru attractions that are dimly lit, like Pirates, Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Radiator Springs Racers, Little Mermaid, Midway Mania, Indy, Splash Mountain, etc., etc.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

Anytime.:)

Getting back on topic, the bottom of the extra space on the "vine" has been covered up.

06-09-14-IMG_6794.jpg

06-09-14-IMG_6630.jpg

06-09-14-IMG_6655.jpg

Looks like an extra "wall" has been added as well:

06-09-14-IMG_6741.jpg

06-09-14-IMG_6681.jpg

http://micechat.com/70241-changes-at-disneyland/

Bolna

So, why is the Monsters Ride at DCA a dark ride?

And Paris has three by that definition: Snow White, Pinocchio and Peter Pan.

I also feel that Tokyo's Pooh and DLP's new Ratatouille ride should be considered dark rides - just a new generation. Just because Anaheim CM don't have one of that type at DL and we don't know whether they would call it a dark ride or not, gives no reason to exclude it.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
So, why is the Monsters Ride at DCA a dark ride?

And Paris has three by that definition: Snow White, Pinocchio and Peter Pan.

I also feel that Tokyo's Pooh and DLP's new Ratatouille ride should be considered dark rides - just a new generation. Just because Anaheim CM don't have one of that type at DL and we don't know whether they would call it a dark ride or not, gives no reason to exclude it.

We're not saying Anaheim excludes other types of dark rides besides the Fantasyland-style ones. All we're saying is when the term "dark ride" is spoken of in the conversations of Anaheim CMs, they are specifically talking about the ones in Fantasyland (excluding "it's a small world"), and the ones like them, like Roger Rabbit, Pooh, etc. It's not like Disneyland CMs don't consider Haunted Mansion, Pirates and others dark rides. They just aren't referred to as dark rides. If a CM is referring to Mansion, Pirates, etc., the term "dark ride" more likely than not won't be mentioned.

Little Green Men

Pooh is short (3:10 ride time), with a vehicle traveling on a buss bar past simple blacklight scenes. The characters in Pooh have the same basic range of motion as the characters in Pan, Snow White or Alice. I suppose one could take issue with the fact the Pooh beehive vehicle wobbles on a non-traditional motion base throughout the ride, but that's even less a gimmick than the flying boats at Peter Pan. Pooh was also done rather cheaply by Pressler, but that's another story.

Again, I think it comes down to nomenclature in a unique local culture like Disneyland. No other Disney park has as many dark rides as Disneyland does. So when Anaheim CM's from ride operators like @raven up to park Vice President's like Jon Storbeck talk about "the dark rides", they are referring to the eight traditional dark rides in Anaheim.

Other rides can certainly have dark ride elements, but are not considered part of the specific list of "dark rides" by Disneyland employees in casual conversation (like @raven24 here) or public presentations (like Storbeck has done).

Those of us fans who have interacted with those Anaheim CM's, or heard long-time Disneyland employees like VP Jon Storbeck speak at public presentations to the theme park industry at the IAPPA convention, have picked up on their nomenclature.

In places like WDW where entire parks only have as many rides as a single land in DCA or Disneyland, they seem to apply the traditional term "dark ride" to any and all attractions that are dimly lit. It's a different culture out there.
Yes DL has many dark rides. That's fine. But rides have become much more advanced since the 50's with their limited moving figures. I would rather have the figures in the new Seven Dwarf Mine Train than the figures in the original Snow White attraction personally. The Monsters Inc. ride could be so much more than just a FL-style dark ride like the one in Tokyo.

While I guess it's true DL has more rides in it than some WDW parks, MK does also. Plus some rides last 20- 45 minutes (SSE, UOE, GMR, Backlot, Safari, etc.). I might be forgetting some but isn't the longest ride in DL about 15 min? WDW may spread out rides more but there are many exhibits and shows in between as well to (try) and better go with a theme.

TP2000

Yes DL has many dark rides. That's fine. But rides have become much more advanced since the 50's with their limited moving figures. I would rather have the figures in the new Seven Dwarf Mine Train than the figures in the original Snow White attraction personally. The Monsters Inc. ride could be so much more than just a FL-style dark ride like the one in Tokyo.

While I guess it's true DL has more rides in it than some WDW parks, MK does also. Plus some rides last 20- 45 minutes (SSE, UOE, GMR, Backlot, Safari, etc.). I might be forgetting some but isn't the longest ride in DL about 15 min? WDW may spread out rides more but there are many exhibits and shows in between as well to (try) and better go with a theme.

Have you been on Monsters Inc. in Tokyo?!? The last time I was there it was still kinda new and I missed out on a Fastpass and couldn't bear the Standby wait when the rest of Tokyo Disneyland called my name.

Yes, the longest Disneyland Resort ride is Pirates at about 16 minutes (8 minutes longer than the WDW version). The longest WDW ride is Ellen's Energy Adventure at about 45 minutes (time for a potty break!).

The Disneyland Resort at its two parks has a total of 77 Attractions, 55 of which are rides; Disneyland Park has 46 Attractions with 34 of those being rides, and DCA has 31 Attractions with 21 of those being rides.

The Walt Disney World Resort at its four parks has a total of 85 Attractions, 46 of which are rides: Magic Kingdom Park has 34 Attractions, 25 of which are rides, Epcot has 23 Attractions, 8 of which are rides, DHS has 15 Attractions, 6 of which are rides, and DAK has 13 Attractions, 7 of which are rides.

Back on topic to the Alice In Wonderland dark ride at Disneyland, or @raven24 will kill me!...

The rumor from the Al Lutz/Miceage Updates for the last 12 months or so has been that all five of Disneyland's Fantasyland dark rides will be getting Extreme Makeovers of sorts, introducing new animatronics and digital mapping effects and new lighting/audio and updated technology throughout the ride. The Miceage updates had been talking about new animatronics for Alice In Wonderland that used a "projected face", and that was months before the animatronics for the Dwarfs Mine Train at WDW had been revealed. It's now apparent that the SDMT debuted this new projected face animatronic technology first, while it's simultaneously being installed in the Alice In Wonderland dark ride, to be followed according to Miceage by a long closure this Fall of Peter Pan's Flight, then Mr. Toad, Snow White, etc.

We've all assumed the Queen of Hearts will have a new projected face. But maybe also the White Rabbit? Tweedle Dee and Dum? I look forward to finding out next month!

The newly updated dark rides would open in phases through the spring of 2015 after they each get a two to three month rehab, and then they would be hyped as part of the 60th Anniversary for Disneyland as the "NEW!" thing you should go see.

This latest Alice In Wonderland rehab from March to July is the first one to happen. For the record, Disney has yet to acknowledge this and it's simply been a juicy rumor scooped by Miceage Updates for over a year now. Interestingly, the Little Mermaid ride at DCA reopened last month after a long rehab with new lighting and lots of new additions throughout the ride, and Disney's Parks Blog or any Disney spokesman never mentioned it. They just quietly upgraded and changed the Mermaid ride, so they may not say a word when Alice opens either.

Alice In Wonderland officially reopens at Disneyland on Independence Day, July 4th. But I wonder if it might open a day or two early?

Here's another good pic from the new Dateline Disneyland on Miceage, showing the newly widened outdoor track. I hope this is worth all this mess and fuss.
IMG_6860-L.jpg

That big Ficus tree was planted during the last major Alice In Wonderland makeover, in 1983-84. It's grown to massive proportions now, but Ficus trees just love the SoCal climate and it still looks very healthy. A big change from the treeless version of this ride in the 1950's and 60's!
alice6-58.jpg

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Have you been on Monsters Inc. in Tokyo?!? The last time I was there it was still kinda new and I missed out on a Fastpass and couldn't bear the Standby wait when the rest of Tokyo Disneyland called my name.

Yes, the longest Disneyland Resort ride is Pirates at about 16 minutes (8 minutes longer than the WDW version). The longest WDW ride is Ellen's Energy Adventure at about 45 minutes (time for a potty break!).

The Disneyland Resort at its two parks has a total of 77 Attractions, 55 of which are rides; Disneyland Park has 46 Attractions with 34 of those being rides, and DCA has 31 Attractions with 21 of those being rides.

The Walt Disney World Resort at its four parks has a total of 85 Attractions, 46 of which are rides: Magic Kingdom Park has 34 Attractions, 25 of which are rides, Epcot has 23 Attractions, 8 of which are rides, DHS has 15 Attractions, 6 of which are rides, and DAK has 13 Attractions, 7 of which are rides.

Back on topic to the Alice In Wonderland dark ride at Disneyland, or @raven24 will kill me!...

The rumor from the Al Lutz/Miceage Updates for the last 12 months or so has been that all five of Disneyland's Fantasyland dark rides will be getting Extreme Makeovers of sorts, introducing new animatronics and digital mapping effects and new lighting/audio and updated technology throughout the ride. The Miceage updates had been talking about new animatronics for Alice In Wonderland that used a "projected face", and that was months before the animatronics for the Dwarfs Mine Train at WDW had been revealed. It's now apparent that the SDMT debuted this new projected face animatronic technology first, while it's simultaneously being installed in the Alice In Wonderland dark ride, to be followed according to Miceage by a long closure this Fall of Peter Pan's Flight, then Mr. Toad, Snow White, etc.

We've all assumed the Queen of Hearts will have a new projected face. But maybe also the White Rabbit? Tweedle Dee and Dum? I look forward to finding out next month!

The newly updated dark rides would open in phases through the spring of 2015 after they each get a two to three month rehab, and then they would be hyped as part of the 60th Anniversary for Disneyland as the "NEW!" thing you should go see.

This latest Alice In Wonderland rehab from March to July is the first one to happen. For the record, Disney has yet to acknowledge this and it's simply been a juicy rumor scooped by Miceage Updates for over a year now. Interestingly, the Little Mermaid ride at DCA reopened last month after a long rehab with new lighting and lots of new additions throughout the ride, and Disney's Parks Blog or any Disney spokesman never mentioned it. They just quietly upgraded and changed the Mermaid ride, so they may not say a word when Alice opens either.

Alice In Wonderland officially reopens at Disneyland on Independence Day, July 4th. But I wonder if it might open a day or two early?

Here's another good pic from the new Dateline Disneyland on Miceage, showing the newly widened outdoor track. I hope this is worth all this mess and fuss.
IMG_6860-L.jpg

That big Ficus tree was planted during the last major Alice In Wonderland makeover, in 1983-84. It's grown to massive proportions now, but Ficus trees just love the SoCal climate and it still looks very healthy. A big change from the treeless version of this ride in the 1950's and 60's!
alice6-58.jpg

Yes, back on subject, again haha!

I'm iffy on that opening date, too. It's less than a month away, but it just doesn't seem like they'll be done by then. Still hoping they've done something with the ride system.

While the digital mapping effects are really cool, it's going to be a little sad seeing these classic attractions with these new effects. I like the simplicity of the Fantasyland dark rides, but it's a new day and age. The rides that could use makeovers next are Pinocchio and Toad. I love Pinocchio, but man, it could use some sprucing up. Besides the little devil figures at the end, Toad doesn't have animatronics, so if it is to be receiving enhancements, I'm wondering what they'll be?

Axoman

While the digital mapping effects are really cool, it's going to be a little sad seeing these classic attractions with these new effects. I like the simplicity of the Fantasyland dark rides, but it's a new day and age. The rides that could use makeovers next are Pinocchio and Toad. I love Pinocchio, but man, it could use some sprucing up. Besides the little devil figures at the end, Toad doesn't have animatronics, so if it is to be receiving enhancements, I'm wondering what they'll be?

Couldn't agree more!

Nland316

IMG_6860-L.jpg

alice6-58.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I personally kinda like how it looked before better than how it is now. Today, the ficus tree obscures a lot the facade, to the point where it looks greatly out of scale. I like how in the 60'so there were way more leaves to make it look more like a garden. Even lamp posts matched the type of "vine" theme. If they were to take out the ficus tree, they could not only make it look more thematic to the garden atmosphere, but they could also fix the facade of alice to match the other Fantastland rides.

TP2000

Alice will reopen on July 4th according to today's new blog entry. They also confirm that updates are coming to the ride's show scenes in addition to the exterior changes!

Alice in Wonderland, Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage and ‘Frozen’ Updates from Disneyland Park

Yes, this is good news! This is the first official acknowledgement by Disney that something is happening inside the ride. Erin Glover, Disneyland spokeswoman, said this on the official Parks Blog...
"First, I’m pleased to report that Alice in Wonderland will reopen July 4. In February, we shared that updates would be made to the exterior of the attraction, but I heard recently from Walt Disney Imagineering that some work is happening on the inside as well."

Previous to this announcement, it had just been Al Lutz and the Miceage Updates talking about this interior rehab plan, as they've been mentioning since 2012. Apparently they were right all along.

Now let's see what they've been up to!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom