The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Mike S

A Spirited serious question to all the folks who still have pixie dust in their eyes: what currently going on at WDW has you excited enough to burn through thousands of dollars by visiting in 2014 or 2015?
Mostly just excited for Universal's new stuff. I go to Disney too because although they're not building new things as fast as I would like a lot of what's already there is still fun and I just love going.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Friday Afternoon Quickees:

Why so quick? I think I'm headed to the pool for the first time in 2014 as soon as the sun gets a little lower.

Nice to see some Spirited haters joining the thread. It wasn't like I didn't know you were reading religiously.

Like I said last night, passive aggressive. You betcha.

Any of y'all see (or attempt) to see whatever Disney was doing with Mark Hamil? I wonder if he's at the BW with the rest of the 'talent'?

I just caught up on reading about some of the food and beverage AND ICE CREAM offerings UNI will debut with Potter 2.0 and that's enough to get me there! Um ... You can keep your blue Bartha milk, WDW.

Just think, in a week and a half, TPFKaTD-MGMS will go back to being dead beyond 2-3 attractions.

How far we have come : Gay Days are going on and beyond a hater that can afford a banner plane, all is quiet. Not even a thread here. Frankly, that's just the way it should be.

Why is it that DL can have multiple Main Street vehicles running at the same time when usually nothing runs at the MK?

So, any other Imaginering types drop out of social media?

Will someone let me know when Soup and Salad Sandra writes her first WDW story? I'd like to critique it here.

OK, I admit it, I was thinking that today would be a lovely day to be at Typhoon Lagoon.

I know I've asked this and not gotten one response, but has anyone heard of a Lifestyler giving up their Premier Pass now that it is $1,029? Anyone ...

For all the crap I get in the mail (and email), let me very clear: I am NOT an Emmy voter. Wasting time and trees.

Anybody go to Disney Stores at all? I haven't been to one since picking up a gift card last year.

Did I enjoy the placed PR piece about SWWs in USA Today? Not nearly as much as the placed piece describing the best nude resorts in the Caribbean (just didn,t need the image of the naked dude serving meatballs in the cafe).

I sure hope @Lee and DD made the boat!

OK, time to go live the life ... Pool time. I'll see you all a little later ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I tend not to make assumptions about an entire country based on my experience, regardless of how extensive, with only one city.

Thus again.. showing your plain ignorance of Norway and it's demographics. I'd just let it go if i were you...

As for the age comment.. I probably incorrectly crossed you with jakester - sorry about that. I have a confession... I can't keep all these posters separate when everyone has usernames off the same root. Like... for all you posters that start with Goof<something> sorry - you all get lumped together in my memory.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Why so quick? I think I'm headed to the pool for the first time in 2014 as soon as the sun gets a little lower.

Nice to see some Spirited haters joining the thread. It wasn't like I didn't know you were reading religiously.

Any of y'all see (or attempt) to see whatever Disney was doing with Mark Hamil? I wonder if he's at the BW with the rest of the 'talent'?

I just caught up on reading about some of the food and beverage AND ICE CREAM offerings UNI will debut with Potter 2.0 and that's enough to get me there! Um ... You can keep your blue Bartha milk, WDW.

Just think, in a week and a half, TPFKaTD-MGMS will go back to being dead beyond 2-3 attractions.

How far we have come : Gay Days are going on and beyond a hater that can afford a banner plane, all is quiet. Not even a thread here. Frankly, that's just the way it should be.

Why is it that DL can have multiple Main Street vehicles running at the same time when usually nothing runs at the MK?

Will someone let me know when Soup and Salad Sandra writes her first WDW story? I'd like to critique it here.

OK, I admit it, I was thinking that today would be a lovely day to be at Typhoon Lagoon.

I know I've asked this and not gotten one response, but has anyone heard of a Lifestyler giving up their Premier Pass now that it is $1,029? Anyone ...

For all the crap I get in the mail (and email), let me very clear: I am NOT an Emmy voter. Wasting time and trees.

Anybody go to Disney Stores at all? I haven't been to one since picking up a gift card last year.

So, none of the Star Wars fanbois here have an opinion over Disney's film deal with Abu Dhabi? But you do have opinions over whether Hoth is cooler than Endor? Why ... Why do. I bother?

Did I enjoy the placed PR piece about SWWs in USA Today? Not nearly as much as the placed piece describing the best nude resorts in the Caribbean (just didn,t need the image of the naked dude serving meatballs in the cafe).

I had no problem making great photos today. On my own, as a guest.

aladdin2007

Because were stuck with the atrocious MISICI mess, thats going to roll on forever and ever. Some of those main street windows should have shattered by now from the sheer volume.

WDWFanDave

A Spirited serious question to all the folks who still have pixie dust in their eyes: what currently going on at WDW has you excited enough to burn through thousands of dollars by visiting in 2014 or 2015?

Nothing.

Had a momentary lapse in judgment and had booked a return trip...called and canceled it yesterday. As pretty as the new stuff looks, if the reports of the AA issues with SDMT are correct (they aren't working already), and I already know first hand after going year over year and photo-documenting the decline in experiences, I just won't spend the money to go again now. Doesn't mean I'll never go back, but not right now.

When are you going back? :D

TP2000

For its first years (@TP2000 could likely give us more exact dates) the Enchanted Tiki Room was more of an E+. It was not part of the Ticket system, instead having a completely separate admission that was higher than what one would pay for an E-Ticket attraction. According to Yesterland in 1966 an E-Ticket was 60¢ and if memory serves me correctly the Enchanted Tiki Room was 75¢.

You rang?...

You summed up the pricing nicely. The 75 cent extra-cost Tiki Room ticket of the mid 1960's would be about $5.50 today adjusted for inflation.

As for dates, the Tiki Room was an extra-cost ticket for about the first five years of its operation, from 1963 to 1968-ish. Those years also correlate to the original sponsorship of the Tiki Room by United Airlines, who was touting its new DC-8 Jet Mainliner service from West Coast cities to Hawaii. The hostesses working the show, and taking all those extra cost E+ tickets at the lanai entrance, wore tailored muu-muus with "UNITED AIR LINES" printed into the fabric design. With fresh flower leis to wear, delivered every day by a local Anaheim florist. Disneyland's casting team only allowed girls of Pacific Island descent to work that show.

Can you imagine such uniformly slender, healthy, attractive young women working at a 21st century Disney park?!? Walt sure knew what he was doing.
7-15-68TikiRoomHostesses1-931x1024.jpg

The Tiki Room reverted back to a regular E Ticket, like Pirates and the Matterhorn and the Submarines, around 1969. That's when the sponsorship ended with United Airlines and Dole Pineapple took over. Dole continues to sponsor Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room to this day, and that's where the famous Dole Whips came from at the small snack bar on the Tiki Room lanai (to the immediate right in this photo) at the Disneyland version of the attraction.

Figments Friend

I thought his last project still remains to be built (if they ever decide to build it) - Oz for Anaheim?

Welcome to WDWMagic, fellow dragon !

:)

Fantasy Faire at Disneyland is considered his *last project* as a full-time Imagineer.
Tony had PLENTY of ideas drawn up for lots of other projects he designed for the Parks that, as i like to term it, have yet to have happened.
Many of those concepts are still stored away in the WDI archives.

At Imagineering, they say a *good idea never goes away*.
It can sit for years on a dusty shelf or in a folder in a drawer before it becomes relevant to a project in the works.
We can only hope that perhaps some of those concepts he fashioned someday come to light in the future.

Last edited:

bhg469

If work sends me to florida for spring training again, I will give my day off to universal. Disney has nothing for me until.... I don't know.

stlphil

That's easy- nothing. There's not even anything that makes me willing to burn through hundreds of dollars. Maybe in 201x when Avatar opens. Still really want to get back to Disneyland though.

Oops, I see now the question wasn't directed at me, since I don't still have pixie dust in my eyes.

TP2000

It must be because WDW's Main Street USA was built to handle larger crowds by Walt's hand-picked team after 15 years of experience running Disneyland. The Orlando management of 2014 is way smarter than those schmucks who designed and built the place back in the early 70's. Please don't question them. ;)

They have been good about running all the vehicles at Disneyland; it's something you really notice when you enter or exit the park. Here's a recent photo with four vehicles loading/unloading at the same time in the Town Square, while two horse-drawn streetcars pass each other further up the street and a second Omnibus loads up in front of Tomorrowland.
IMG_5868.jpg

Omnibus #1, Red horseless carriage (departing), Yellow horseless carriage (arriving), and a fire truck. Plus two horse-drawn streetcars running and Omnibus #2 not captured in this photo. Oh, my! Don't tell TDO, they'll be mad.

Last edited:

5thGenTexan

As I have stated in other threads, my visits were 1985, 1986, 1992 and half a day in 2013 (part of a cruise). I don't go multiple times a year. A few years ago before Kid 1 was born in 2008 my wife and I were planning a WDW trip and that line of thought stopped dead cold when the kid was born. We said we would do it in a few years when she was older, then a few years later Kid 2 was born and once again we pushed it down the road a few years. In 2012 when DCL annouced cruises out of Galveston we jumped on that, and then again in the Spring of 2013. The thought there was we could easily cruise with the kids without much trouble. Unlike many people I just hated the thought of pushing kids in a stroller over the course of a week at WDW. Board a cruise ship and you do your thing, go back to the cabin when the kids get tired... repeat.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I was seriously shopping a DLR vacation. Why?

• Because the previous advantage that WDW had, in my mind, of more to do with 4 parks has been minimized with the addition of DCA. Fro
  • I have a 3 1/2 year old boy. He is uhhh kinda into Cars a little bit.
  • We live in Texas. There is no geographic advantage to going to WDW over DLR. Its pretty much a draw as far as distance is concerned.
  • I like the idea of being able to walk from whatever hotel we choose to a park.
  • From what I have read, there seems to be a great deal less planning when at DLR over WDW and I like that. I just would like to go and see how the day goes.

However, DCL announced their plans for the rest of 2015. DCL is returning to Galveston for a few weeks and once again we jumped on that. So anything I can do without dealing with airplanes or airports with two kids is a plus for me.

We are spending thousands of dollars in 2015 to cruise on the Wonder for 6 days. We will get to spend a week on the ship in all its Christmas splendor. (something aside from a transatlantic or Panama Canal cruise that I really wanted to do). The best thing of all is we are not telling the kids. They will NOT know anything about this until we park to board the ship.

WDW has nothing as far as I am concerned to make it more appealing than DLR or DCL. I do want my kids to experience the parks, one or the other or both, but from my perspective I had rather spend time and money on a ship.

Figments Friend

Zip.

I have no real desire at all, and i still have a valid 4-Day PH.
Nothing has really motivated me since my last visit in January 2013.

As expressed in a previous post, it*s all about Disneyland with me now.
I love California.
A wonderfully refreshing change.

Probably won*t return to WDW until DAK is expanded with the coming additions.

TP2000

Meanwhile, said bus sits backstage at Magic Kingdom collecting dust.

I'm sure Magic Kingdom has at least two, if not three Omnibus vehicles to use. Satellite images of Disneyland show three on property there; two operating on Main Street USA, while a third Omnibus sits "backstage" in the Main Street USA vehicle parking zone near the Indiana Jones ride warehouse behind Adventureland.

You would think the Omnibus are the vehicles TDO would want to run, since they carry the most customers with the same amount of labor as the smaller cars and trucks.

And if Disneyland can run multiple Omnibuses at a time on Main Street USA, working around crowds and parade schedules and all the other vehicles also operating on Main Street at the same time, then I just can't think of a valid reason why Magic Kingdom Park couldn't do the same thing. :confused:

Two Omnibuses (Omnibi? No, that can't be it.) pass mid-street at Disneyland, Christmas 2013
i-NqXjSSs-M.jpg

And the Omnibuses can also hug the curb when the horse-drawn streetcar passes 'em right down the middle of the street, as seen below. WDI designed all these vehicles to run nicely together in crowds and busy environments.

Disneyland Commuting - May, 2014 (Notice the brass rail in lower right corner. This photo was taken by a passenger on the Fire Truck driving southbound behind the streetcar.)
Omnibus.jpg

Last edited:

Funmeister

Eat at the Popeyes, Perkins, Burger King and Bone Fish on I-Drive before they are "coaster-ized?" Oh...you wanted a Disney answer.

tamotu99

First of Star Wars in UAE, yeah its crap but what can you do about it, the fact of the matter is there is so much oil money in that part of the world, and so few with access to that money, that they literally can do anything they want, (see the Bahrain GP for an example, host a major international sport event while the population are rioting) To me the whole country is fake, they build the big buildings, make the man made islands, and arrest you if you walk down the beach holding your partners hand

At the end of the day though, i will still watch the Star Wars films, the majority of people who watch them wont even consider something like that

And the place is built on slave labour, people mainly from India and that region of the world have their passports taken of them, are paid pennies, work in unsafe conditions (the number of deaths for nearly every major construction project is way above normal levels), they are forced to live in worker camps, while the Sheiks make huge profits and spend it on vanity projects like Man City FC, Star Wars filming there, or bribing your way into hosting a world cup (Qatar)

As for visiting WDW and being excited about it, yeah kind of am (though have nothing booked, and do have DL booked for March next year) if someone offered for me to go tomorrow i would, there are a number of reasons, it is somewhere the whole family can go and have fun together, but equally split of and do own things and meet up later, some of it is reliving good memories, i do enjoy a lot of the things there, however is there anything that is makeing me feel like i have to go visit,... no, we visited last year, DL California (part of a long trip including vegas san fran and LA) next year DL Paris in 2 days (more going with a friend and family who have never been before) iceland is the next place on the agenda, then indonesia, then after that in a three years or so probably look at WDW again, and i will look forward to it

Funmeister

@WDW1974

I remember when Guest Relations would offer guests a free t-shirt if they wore a red t-shirt and were not aware of the first weekend in June festivities.

Interesting fact about the Disney Store. The "Imagination Park" concept has had some (expensive) problems. Over the next months/years they are changing or doing away with the projection trees due to maint. and upkeep problems. (These are the white trees that have video and images projected on them.) From what I have heard they are going to replace them with static printed images already on them so no more projections.

They have also suspended most store re-models as they were more expensive than originally planned for upkeep and day to day operation.

There is also a push to make the stores the semi-exclusive place for Star Wars merchandise. (I personally do not see them ever being exclusive on any one specific merchandise.)

It is interesting that the new DIsney areas in JC Penney stores have the same or better merchandise at lower cost.

Depends on what kind of meatballs...IKEA is overrated lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom