PHOTO - New ground clearing taking place behind Harambe in Disney's Animal Kingdom

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
It seems like it has something to do with the Planet Watch train tracks
I think the most interesting point is that it has been cleared right up to the in-park path. Meaning that at some point, there is likely to be an entrance to this area from an existing path. If it were purely backstage construction, they would not have cleared that close to existing path.

phi2134

That area is so congested right now, I wonder if it's some type of crowd control measure. I am not sure if that is possible with the train tracks over there, but any relief in that area would help

doctornick

I think it will end up being something small, like new bathrooms near the safari/pangani trail with a new path leading between Asia and Africa.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think it will end up being something small, like new bathrooms near the safari/pangani trail with a new path leading between Asia and Africa.
There are bathrooms right there in Harambe, just the other side of this area. I really can't see them adding more bathrooms.

doctornick

There are bathrooms right there in Harambe, just the other side of this area. I really can't see them adding more bathrooms.

Well, the bathrooms are "in" Harambe, so if you are going between the safari or Pangani or the Wildlife Express, you have to kind of double back into the main part of the town to use them. Having bathrooms in that area would make it quicker to go between the attractions.

That said, I don't think that you really need bathrooms in the area. And the amount of clearing suggests to me something of reasonable size. Could it be food or merch? I dunno. I feel like if it were an attractions, we'd have heard about it. But, if you wanted to open up a small scale attraction (like a dark ride), building ti now and opening it simultaneously with the Rivers of Light show and extended hours of the park would make sense.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, the bathrooms are "in" Harambe, so if you are going between the safari or Pangani or the Wildlife Express, you have to kind of double back into the main part of the town to use them. Having bathrooms in that area would make it quicker to go between the attractions.

That said, I don't think that you really need bathrooms in the area. And the amount of clearing suggests to me something of reasonable size. Could it be food or merch? I dunno. I feel like if it were an attractions, we'd have heard about it. But, if you wanted to open up a small scale attraction (like a dark ride), building ti now and opening it simultaneously with the Rivers of Light show and extended hours of the park would make sense.
Food, merchandise, walkway is my guess at this point.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Tis a big area.

Devils advocate.... something for Rivers of Light work? Infrastructure / compound or 3rd shift access? Assuming the dock by Dinosaur isn't suitable.
Notice they have cleared right to the guest walkway though. If it were backstage stuff I don't seem them doing that - they would have left a line of trees to mask that area.

tl77

I think the most interesting point is that it has been cleared right up to the in-park path. Meaning that at some point, there is likely to be an entrance to this area from an existing path. If it were purely backstage construction, they would not have cleared that close to existing path.

It seems strange that they tore up the Conservation Way service road that crossed over the train tracks. Maybe they are going to expand the Marketplace and restaurant and need to do some sightline camouflage/theming for the view from the Plant Watch train?

DktrBob

First post! It looks to me like it has something to do with the train. Maybe they are moving the station down or creating a second station for loading passengers (with the old one used for dropping passengers off). There is such a bottleneck around the safari and the zoo trail that they might want to direct the train passengers elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom